Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2013, 08:58 PM   #1

Appalachian Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
Class A numbers

As you can see, we have a class C but as my tag also says...always looking. Why are there so many more A's than C's for sale? It seems at least 2:1 if not more, I would think it would be more even. Are A owners commonly past C owners? I've looked at a lot of A's and eventually got a C but we are never away for more than 10 days so storage was no issue. I'm not sure what might make me want to move to an A, at least at this point in life.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2013, 09:20 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTN
As you can see, we have a class C but as my tag also says...always looking. Why are there so many more A's than C's for sale? It seems at least 2:1 if not more, I would think it would be more even. Are A owners commonly past C owners? I've looked at a lot of A's and eventually got a C but we are never away for more than 10 days so storage was no issue. I'm not sure what might make me want to move to an A, at least at this point in life.
Typically class As are more comfortable for 2 people for longer periods of time. Class,C's are great for young families going on vacations and long weekends.

Steve Ownby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:35 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We just bought our first MH. We are up in our years and probably will travel a small radius from our home. Our kids and their families enjoy camping, so we thought this way we could spend more quality time with them. We bought a 2002 30' Storm. It has only been lived in for like 30 days total and has only 10K miles. Still has the plastic covering on the carpet. I replaced 3 tires due to dry rot and have had it washed and waxed and LOF. Have in shop now getting it over 'storage' problems....hope to have it out soon and start practicing on my driving. Hope we did the right thing......
Old 03-19-2013, 09:51 PM   #4

Here is my best guess. As the population ages there are more retirees; they are in better health and more active than in the past. There families are grown and so have fewer responsibilities that tie them to a single residence. The class A feels more like a home than a C class. It is typically larger with more storage. Since they tend to spend more time in their MH than non retirees (not including full timers) they want a more home feel. And, since the wives are often involved in the decision making, it all about feelings!
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:39 AM   #5

Depends on how you are going to use the RV and your comfort needs. We never found a C that met our storage needs so were either looking for a 5er or an A. Just had a friend who could not get past the size of an A so bought a C and is very happy with it. I agree with Selah, the more time you spend in the RV, the more likely you are to have an A but, I know there are a lot of folks out there with A's that mostly sit in storage, just like any other toy. Had many folks tell me when I was on the water, get the smallest boat you can live with the best quality that you can afford. I think that applies to RV's also. There are folks that tow a pop up and have just as much fun as we do in our A. That is what is most important. Enjoy what you have. Use what you have. The joy is in the journey, not the destination.
Dan DeBruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:01 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan DeBruin View Post
Depends on how you are going to use the RV and your comfort needs. We never found a C that met our storage needs so were either looking for a 5er or an A. Just had a friend who could not get past the size of an A so bought a C and is very happy with it. I agree with Selah, the more time you spend in the RV, the more likely you are to have an A but, I know there are a lot of folks out there with A's that mostly sit in storage, just like any other toy. Had many folks tell me when I was on the water, get the smallest boat you can live with the best quality that you can afford. I think that applies to RV's also. There are folks that tow a pop up and have just as much fun as we do in our A. That is what is most important. Enjoy what you have. Use what you have. The joy is in the journey, not the destination.
You are quite right Dan.

Even though the misses and I don't own a RV yet we still travel extensively. I'm always pointing things out to her as we drive. She's oblivious to a lot of things but I try to get her to enjoy it.
Whatnobeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:33 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Your question asked why are there more class A for sale than Class C for sale, key words "for sale" . IMHO this is because Class A motorhomes in the past were built on heavier chasis with more durable components and the represented a significant investment when compared to early class C motorhomes. This means that more older class A's survived compared to older class C's so the secondary market of used motorhomes has more inventory available. The class C's of yesterday generally weren't as durable. Late model products for the most part seem to be built to a higher standard in both classes for both body & chasis.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:15 PM   #8

On weekends the C population booms. More long-term folks in As

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:23 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
OK. I think there is more to this. I just checked new inventories at several large dealers and they all have significantly more A's than C's. As an example, Lazy Days has 312 NEW A's and 63 C's. Camping World says they have 501 Class A (gas) and 396 Class C NEW.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:31 PM   #10

Appalachian Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by demoon View Post
OK. I think there is more to this. I just checked new inventories at several large dealers and they all have significantly more A's than C's. As an example, Lazy Days has 312 NEW A's and 63 C's. Camping World says they have 501 Class A (gas) and 396 Class C NEW.
That was my point exactly. I can't figure out why except that obviously A's sell better.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:49 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTN View Post
This past weekend a local dealer was telling us that the manufacturers were having trouble getting chassis's from Ford. I have no way of substantiating that, but that's the rumor I heard.

2014 Allegro 36LA
tanstaafl is offline   Reply With Quote