Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-06-2013, 04:12 PM   #1
Class A or C

Hello, I am new to the RV community and would appreciate some advice. I am 4 years from retirement and planned to purchase my RV right before I retire; however been thinking about investing in a used les expensive RV now to give it a shot and do some short haul trips for the experience. I found I can purchase a low end new vs. a higher end used for about the same price and am looking at a small Class A 2013 Winnebago Vista 26 HE and a Class C Four Winds 26A. Any advice on A or C as well as any advice on these two models would be appreciated.

BobbyC326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2013, 04:26 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hello Bobby and welcome to iRV2. You will get as many opinions as there are RVs. To me, a C Class usually has more sleeping facilities and Class As have more living space. So, I'd say if you plan to take more than one other person with you on a regular basis, the C might be a better choice. Other than that, choose the floorplan and chassis that suits you best. Good luck!

Sarah (RVM69), Hubby, and Harry the RVin' Dog
.......2012 Fleetwood Bounder 33C | 2012 Jeep Wrangler

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:50 PM   #3
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
If I knew then what I know now, and the deal was available, I'd choose the Winnebago. I went RV shopping with a friend in November and was really impressed by the quality of the Vista. He was looking at the 35B model, but almost everything inside and out showed a sturdiness that is lacking in my coach. I would definently go for upgrading to the double pane windows. The cost is minimal when compared to the comfort and soundproofing provided.

Hope to meet you on the road someday!
Barb (RVM18), Sena (capuchin monkey, RVM Head Mascot) & Lily (Maltese/Yorkie)
2011 Shasta Cynara 230F & 2012 Smart Car toad, 272 watt solar system
The Journey is Our Destination. Full-timing since 5/18/2011 and loving it.
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:51 PM   #4
If you are going to do alot of site seeing road side flea markets basically driving around a c might be better for you. If you are going somewhere and park a class a A might be best. My rule of thumb at 40 ft is 6 to visit 4 to eat and 2 to sleep.
2007 Fleetwood Revolution LE 40V
Tha_Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:56 PM   #5
Bobby, welcome to the forum and good luck with your discision. My pick would be the Winnie....
John, Deb; & our dog, Benji, Forever in our hearts.
2014 Coachmen Leprechaun 319DS V-10
2011 Jeep Liberty Jet & 2014 Jeep Wrangler
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:01 PM   #6

If you are in to a lot of sightseeing you may want a toad to get you around while the rig is a base of operations. Mohos are not the best for parking, and having to hook/unhook regularly is cumbersome.
If so, considering what to tow and the power to pull is something to ponder.
We see lots of sights. For every 100 miles on the rig we do 300 on the toad.
Happy trails!
Dave and Nola, RVM1
The Journey is Our Destination!

CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:52 PM   #7
The difference between what you mention is a warranty. All RV's come partially assembled and the house part usually requires some repair. One thing to consider is that with a C your chassis is basically either a Ford or Chevy van. Relatively easy to get serviced. An A sometimes can be more difficult, but not always. Choose what's right for you and your budget and enjoy your RV.
bearaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:13 PM   #8
The Winnebago small class 'A' would be my choice. It will probably hold more of it's value thus actually costing less.

Typically anything with the Winnebago logo will be built well.

Good luck
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:39 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Since you are 4 years away, you have time to rent a C and an A from one of the RV dealers. You can get a feel of both. We had a travel trailer for several years that served us well, then a 29 foot Winni class C. Both were great and had a good resale value. So, take your time, research, evaluate and you will end up with the rig that fits your needs and comfort style. Good luck and mostly enjoy the fun.
Karl and Janet
Tiffin Zephyr 45QDZ
Owens-Classic Trailer, with elevator and air ride
kewag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:03 PM   #10
iRV2 No Limits Club
Our first MH was a new '88 Okanagan 17' Type B MH, then to a new '97 29' Type C, then to a new '98 35' Type A, then a new 2000 39' DP and now a new 2002 41' DP.
Would have saved some money by going to the Type A from the 'B. Just didn't want to herd that big a rig around.
Only you can decide what you want

I drove the Type B as my daily driver for years, it had a 460 with trailer towing package. Parked it in downtown Victoria and others for sightseeing, something we couldn't do with the larger rigs. Even after putting a GearVendors overdrive in it never got much over 9 mpg BTW. But 0 to 60 was awesome for an RV!! Equal to a Honda Accord at the time.
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:04 PM   #11
i have a class c at this time and if i was going to retire and travel i would rather have a class a, the class c is ok but lacks storage space and the aerodynamics leave something to be desired. i bought this for the wife to use camping and the occasional trip she has never drove it and now I'm getting it ready for a trip to Maine a 3500 mile trip. if i knew then what i know now i would have opted for a class a just my two cents worth
pwf16129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:06 PM   #12
I've had both...Class As win
36ft Damon Intruder Class A - 37ft National Sea Breeze LX Class A
-Past RVs: 19ft Sportsman, 24ft Jayco, 30ft Coachmen Mirada. We had some good times.
"Im a car guy...you've been warned" lol
Jon Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:20 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I've had just about all types of RV unit and there is a big difference between and A and a C. We love to travel and did a couple of cross country trips first in a Dodge Van and a tent.

The spring of '12 we did a trip across the country but this time in our class C. It was on this trip that DW and I decided we needed something a tad more liveable so we went shopping for an A unit.

The comfort of the A is perfect for our needs and I'm not having any issues driving it about even in Victoria. Show yourself around some of your local RV lots and let them know your shopping for a unit. Be surprised what you can arrange for trials. Good luck and safe travels.
Denise and Dennis Dalla-Vicenza Co-pilot Mizzie
Gracie a Winnebago 29 RQ +
George a Suzuki Toad
(Co-pilots emeritus Furb, Izzy & Mikkael)
Cherry Creek British Columbia
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:18 AM   #14
Fleetwood Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
we love are class c gulf stream endura. we bought it 3 years ago what got us was price & the durimax. took it to ak and 8 weeks in fl for winter. the only thing we don't like you lose living space & big window to look out in the frount
safe travles bob'linda & missy

new rver is offline   Reply With Quote