Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2015, 04:55 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Seems to me that a 32 ft Class C and a 32 ft Class A are the same handful to deal with. And cost about the same for similar equipment. But if you are comparing a 25 ft Class C to a 40 ft Class A diesel pusher, then that's a different story.

The biggest plus for a newbie is the familiar-seeming cab area of the C, but the A is actually easier to drive once you get over the learning curve. And an A will have more interior space and more weight carrying capacity as well.

You may find, though, the the typical C floor plans are more amenable to families with children. There are A's designed for that, but they tend to be the larger models. Take a look around and check out both types.

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2015, 06:26 PM   #16

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have driven hundreds of class A's and Class C's. Showtime takes two days or more of driving campers to the show. Then two more days after the show is over. The class A wins hands down. The number one complaint I had was from the women. Look at the foot room on the passengers side of the C. Your wife has to set there for hours with her feet right together and no room to move them around. Second is the safety factor. Pull your car up to a class A. You will notice that the hood does not come up to the floor line of the class A. The safety factor is much better in the Class A. The last major factor is the visibility. Your head is about 8 feet off the ground in the class A. You can see over the divider on the expressway. You can see out in the fields when you drive. I was telling one of my customers this on a checkout. This was their first motorhome. The next day she came back to the shop. She said that they passed a field on the way home. She passed a house that was about a mile from her house. They had lived there for years and she had no idea there was a house in that field. It could not be seen from the car.

Old 04-23-2015, 07:29 PM   #17

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
After reading thru this thread, I have to say how nice it is that everybody is giving their honest opinions without flaming either type of moho! We have owned a Tioga-C (considered a party coach, no bedroom). It served its purpose while our 2 kids were very young. Then we owned a 5th wheel for several years, but found we missed taking our boat (did not want to triple tow). So, it was back to another C, this time a Thor. No comment about the Thor, since my Mama taught me not to say anything if I did not have something nice to say .

Then we found our 2005 National Dolphin class-A, which we have owned now for over 10 years. It is only 33' in length, and we can live in it with the slides in during inclement weather. It is so much more comfortable than any of the other moho's we owned, yet not too big. Plenty of towing power, and the 8.1L Workhorse combined with the Allison tranny is hard to beat in my opinion, especially since we live in the mountains. Hindsight is always great, if I knew what I know now about moho's, it would have been a simple choice for us to have just bought our current moho way back then. However, all of our moho's served a purpose, and we only regret the one C.

The one thing to consider with your kiddos is how much fun they can have if you allow them to bring along a friend once in a while. You will need more space than the class-C's we owned (26' and 31') to haul all of the toys and gadgets. We borrowed a small trailer one summer when each of our kids brought a friend. They stayed in tents and left the wifey and I all alone in the moho, nice. Now, I could store the kids, their friends, and all of their stuff in several of the compartments in our class-A!

Like others have told you, enjoy the shopping process, try not to rush into anything, and keep asking questions. Our kids cherish every trip we ever took, and still go camping as adults. Have fun!

Bruce
Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 08:23 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
I like the C, the truck part is much more durable. I like the 2 front doors, the airbags, the dash & AC that is much more trouble free.

I think they sell better & for more money when they are older.

BUT- get the one you like!
Old 04-23-2015, 08:48 PM   #19

I've owned both, a class A with a slide or 2 would be my choice especially with little ones. I like the Fleetwoods, have owned several and are well built. Would look for one with a couch and booth dinette, with little ones you will need the bed space. Flairs and Bounders are a couple of my favorites. The entry level ones are still very nice and are more tuned to a family's needs. They are cheaper so your kids can be kids and you don't have to sweat every scrape and spill. Seems the higher up the scale you go they get more geared for just 2 people. Huge bathrooms and bedrooms for a family are a waste of space, a large living area with a superslide would be on the top of my list. Anything with a stand alone table for 2 would be out as would be ones with a entertainment center instead of a swivel chair, once again sitting space is a premium with kids. On rainy days you will be spending a lot of time in a small area, this is why the large living area comes as the number one top priority on my list.
Old 04-23-2015, 08:51 PM   #20

Our first purchase was a Class C...we camped in it 2 times before we traded it for our first Class A. However having said that the Class C's typically have more sleeping capability...especially if you don't want to use your sofa or dinette. No matter which route you take sure make sure you 'love" not like the layout. It makes all the difference in the world!
Car Dolly: Mini Cooper Clubman
vanbuskirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 01:30 AM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
Good point, Robert about safety. Checking the MH for proper seat belts, doors latching properly, brakes and tires fairly new is the best entry into RVing. You don't want to have a bunch of headaches at the very beginning, nor put your family in harms way, so the condition of the motor home is really important. Probably more so than size.

Using irv2s search box at the top, using specific search words will give you access to particular MH problems by name so you can find past posts about that years RV. Also try to read all you can about safety.

We started with a C and two years later bought a diesel A. Along the way I've seen families in all sizes of vehicles. If privacy matters you might want at least 30 ft.
Kids love the bunk bed ones. It's a lot of fun looking at all them, the whole family will enjoy that! Put some time into it, and take notes, many times the older rv's can be found that have similar qualities of the new. Find what you want, then go to rvtrader to search for a used, comparing floor plans and prices. Really helps! Go for less milage and no water leak evidence. Again, tires utmost importance with kids and all. They are expensive. Best wishes in all the fun memories you will have.
480w Go Power solar
PeaceOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 01:46 AM   #22

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Seems to me that a 32 ft Class C and a 32 ft Class A are the same handful to deal with. And cost about the same for similar equipment. But if you are comparing a 25 ft Class C to a 40 ft Class A diesel pusher, then that's a different story.

The biggest plus for a newbie is the familiar-seeming cab area of the C, but the A is actually easier to drive once you get over the learning curve. And an A will have more interior space and more weight carrying capacity as well.

You may find, though, the the typical C floor plans are more amenable to families with children. There are A's designed for that, but they tend to be the larger models. Take a look around and check out both types.
I agree with Gary. I've been Rv'ing for over 50 years now. Stated with TT's, then a Type B (kids were grown), then a Type C, and then to A's. Then we "inherited" two grandkids and the A was short on sleeping space for them. The oldest is out now and the youngest is 15 so he really doesn't want to go with the old folks anymore. In fact on the previous Type A we took out the hide a bed and put in two chairs, when he came he had an air mattress (but the cat's claws did that in)!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 01:49 AM   #23
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Good luck with your choice.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 03:26 AM   #24

Thanks for the insight with kids. Great stuff. MM
Old 04-24-2015, 03:32 AM   #25

Thank you sir. I hope to cherish the same. Mike
Old 04-24-2015, 05:59 AM   #26

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Welcome, glad to meet you!
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 08:08 AM   #27

Agreed. No one is saying that their RV choice is the only answer. (even though some of these threads are very entertaining)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebug5 View Post
After reading thru this thread, I have to say how nice it is that everybody is giving their honest opinions without flaming either type of moho! ......Bruce
George Schweikle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 02:06 AM   #28

Thanks to all

I thank all who gVe me input. I now have a pretty good idea of which way I'll go. Good discussion on all. Thanks again. MM

Tags
class a