Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2015, 03:08 AM   #29

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I would say that like most everything else, it comes down to money. Class C is cheaper all the way around, from purchase price, to insurance, to gas millage, to repair costs, to camp ground fees. Let's face it, if you go "A" you will spend more money. Class A's have many advantages over C's in many ways but Class C's traditionally have been able to sleep more with the large cab over bed, however there are many "A"s that have extra beds these days too. If you do decide to get an "A", I agree with the previous poster who said you should get a bunk bed floor plan since you have kids. A's are nicer and if you can afford it, go for it!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2015, 10:02 AM   #30

We picked up our first RV back in march. My wife and I are in our mid 30s and we have 2 girls 5 and 3. We wanted our first RV to be on the smaller side of less than 30feet. Our main use is to be weekend commandos most of the time. We started looking at used but ended up going new. The floor plans are the most important thing to look at. I was in love with the brave 26a but we ended up getting a Minnie Winnie 25b. The sleeping arrangement in the 25b was better. It also didn't hurt that the 25b was over 20k cheaper (that's a lot of gas and other things).

We found that alot of the A's under 100k were made for 2 people. For our use we also didn't need things like a fireplace. I wanted something that would be comfortable on a rainy day when we are trapped, not for something that was my familyroom on wheels.

As others have said thru sight lines and passenger experience during transport is nice in the A's. it one of the reasons I loved the brave so much. when the kids are older I can see is making the switch to something like the brave.

Old 04-26-2015, 10:12 AM   #31

Fleetwood Owners Club
I didn't read every comment in this post, but there's another distinction the OP might want to know.

The difference between Class A Gas, and Class A Diesel - look similar but certainly different under the hood.

CLASS A GAS - is going to be much more similar to the Class C in regards to engine noise, pulling power, and suspension.

CLASS A DIESAL - is going to have that nice air bag suspension, along with that power house in the back. Further, depending on year, might also have a DEF tank you gotta fiddle with and fill. Not to mention mucho different maintenance schedules and higher costs if something breaks.

My take is this. 36 feet and longer - I want my diesel - whether it be a class a, a super c, or a show hauler on a columbia frame.

A Wee Bit Shorter? 26 feet to 36 feet, I think it would feel so much roomier in a class a body gasser. Got kids? Look for bunks.

Short? 17 to 25 feet? The lower cost of the class c would have me, and I can use the overhead bunk for storage. Plus it's very economical all the way around.

Shorter? 12 to 20 feet? Travel trailer or pup for me.

Consequently to the OP - I Started in a 40' Diesel. A learning curve exists

Your budget is going to be a big signal too - what's your thoughts on how much you want to spend to do this? I think it's a great idea, trust me, and it can always be done.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 02:10 PM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
Class A or C

Basically I'd say get as much as your budget allows. Of course a half million dollar diesel rig has more to offer than the $70,000 economy gas model, but only you can tell if it's worth it to you. It's like flying coach or first class, you're the only who can decide whether it is worth it to you or not. Some other people won't do either and insist on a private jet.

Same with an RV. There is no right or wrong answer, there's only deciding on your budget, your needs, and where you put your priorities. For us a Class A was the answer, but DW still checks out the new Class C's when we go to an RV show.

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Winnebago Chieftain / Ford Hybrid Toad
Raining Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 05:54 PM   #33

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raining Star View Post
Basically I'd say get as much as your budget allows. Of course a half million dollar diesel rig has more to offer than the $70,000 economy gas model, but only you can tell if it's worth it to you. It's like flying coach or first class, you're the only who can decide whether it is worth it to you or not. Some other people won't do either and insist on a private jet.

Same with an RV. There is no right or wrong answer, there's only deciding on your budget, your needs, and where you put your priorities. For us a Class A was the answer, but DW still checks out the new Class C's when we go to an RV show.
well put
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
Old 04-26-2015, 06:26 PM   #34

Triple E Owners Club
You never said what your budget was. If you can find a class A with bunks in your budget, that would be my recommendation for you. The extra floorspace in an A class will be very welcome when the weather is bad. Also the extra storage in an A class is needed with more people.
Old 04-27-2015, 01:39 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodK View Post
You never said what your budget was. If you can find a class A with bunks in your budget, that would be my recommendation for you. The extra floorspace in an A class will be very welcome when the weather is bad. Also the extra storage in an A class is needed with more people.
Budget is not high. I have to buy used as I don't want to finance. I would say no more than 15-20 which might seem really low to many people but I have found good deals before on used things. I cannot imagine taking the hit of depreciation with a new rig for a first time motor home. So I will end up with something older but if I don't need all the frills and just want something reliable roomy and solid for some good times. Mike
Old 04-27-2015, 08:19 AM   #36

Fleetwood Owners Club
Do you have a truck? If so then a trailer might be a really good idea.

BUT if you want something with a motor, check this out.

Class A Motorhomes for Sale - PPL Motor Homes
Scroooool down til you get under 20k

The 01 dutchstar could be nice.
02 winni brave - cool
There's a few decent looking contenders there.

and of course, same here
Class B & C Motorhomes for Sale - PPL Motor Homes

'14 Ram 3500 Aisin

Tags
class a