Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2013, 12:04 AM   #1

Class A or Class C

I'm debating on whether to buy a Class A or Class C. I like the bigger class C, but I like the Class A for in general. I am debating on the Class C 2003 Holiday Rambler Atlantis with 2 slides and overhead entertainment thingy over the driver and passenger seat. Plus the amount of closet space in the bedroom.. I know I could redo a Class A. But I like that I'm not staring at the ceiling watching a bit of tv..so I guess I wanted to know your opinions on which u like and why. Which is easier to drive? Cuz I'm driving it by myself and have been driving on the wrong side of the road for 5 yrs so the easier the better... Thxs

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2013, 06:26 AM   #2

Hi,
It depends a lot on the use of the RV. If you are planning short trips with few activities, a small RV would be OK. If you are planning longer trips with many activities, you will need the storage capacity of a larger rig like a Class A. Outdoor activities really add to the list of items you will haul around. Don't underestimate how much storage it takes.

Driveability should be a small issue in the choice. A class C may seem easier because it's lower to the ground like a car or pickup, but a Class A will give you a higher seat to observe traffic from.

Old 04-06-2013, 06:37 AM   #3

I am sure you are considering dollars as well.The C are a little less costly to buy but are no cheaper in driving.
A's beat the comfort .Either one driving is no issue. I stick withe an A.Cheers Gerald
Old 04-06-2013, 06:55 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to irv2.
If you have no family when traveling the large "C" would probably work out for you.
Most C's have small closet space the A's have more and a larger shower and toilet area.
The floor plan may decide for you because you will be living in it.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:27 AM   #5

We went back and forth with the same conundrum. I finally put the pros and cons on a sheet of paper. We ultimately decided on a class A because it worked best for our family. (Although ours is the Thor ACE - which is a class A with an overhead bunk like a C)

When it comes to storage and capacities, the Class A wins. They usually have bigger tanks, bigger outside storage, and often bigger inside storage.

The Class C is super easy to drive. The lower drivers area makes it seem more like driving a car than a bus. It took me a while to get comfortable driving our A. The overhang from the bunk keeps the sun off too. The Class C has 16" tires, which are considerably cheaper.

Good luck on your search.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:45 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald Duerr View Post
I am sure you are considering dollars as well.The C are a little less costly to buy but are no cheaper in driving.
A's beat the comfort .Either one driving is no issue. I stick withe an A.Cheers Gerald
Gerald, hmm I thought it would be cheaper to drive a class C, but thank you for clearing me up on that pt. I'm just so nervous with the class A being so big, kinda scary when the DH won't be there to help.. And my kids are young but independent( kinda) they have gave away all there toys except a boot size shoe box... So storage for me not that big a deal, I have summer totes and winter totes prepared( stored at sisters so it gives me an excuse to travel to see her) hmmmm this is so hard deciding I think I'll keep looking then when it feels right buy it.. Maybe I should rent both and get a feel for them. Thank you for your advice..
Old 04-06-2013, 08:52 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The problem with the larger C's on the Ford or Chevy chassis is cargo carrying capacity. Most have the chassis pretty well loaded before you start adding supplies and passengers. Also, the larger C's tend to exhibit poor road manners and typically need suspension upgrades to improve the handling.

A class A will generally have more cargo carrying capacity and provide better handling and require fewer suspension modifications. There are class A's now offering a bunk house design to accommodate more passengers.

We had a 31' Minnie Winnie and with me and the wife, supplies for a two week trip, empty waste tanks, 1/4 tank of fresh water, full fuel, our weight was 13,950#. The GVWR was 14050#....leaving us only 100# of additional capacity. If we had added supplies and one or two kids, it would have put us well over the GVWR.

We have found that in general, the A's driver better than most C's. As for fuel economy, a C may do a bit better than an A, but not much.

So with a C, shop carefully if you plan family travel. A lot of people forget to consider the added weight of the additional passengers. The GVWR is the maximum weight that sets on the RV axles. This includes everything in the RV, cargo, passengers, water, fuel, etc. You can't go by any of the manufacturers brochures. You need to weigh the coach and get a real weight.

Ken
Old 04-06-2013, 10:40 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
You didn't mention anything about a "super C", and I think that's good. Those huge class Cs are just as much of a problem turning, etc as a 35ft+ class A. Just like a class A, you'll need to tow a dingy if you want to see the sights in a city. . .you won't ever find a big enough parking spot in Chicago! I fail to see ANY advantages of a Super C over a real class A.

As long as you avoid those Super Cs, you'll likely be happy with whatever you choose!
Old 04-06-2013, 10:49 PM   #9

Drive a C. Then an A.

Nuff said

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:50 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Floor plan that works for you is very important. Class A's can be short on real sleeping space, so make sure you check that out. In my opinion, don't let anyone try to make you believe that the dinette is a viable sleeping area. It is very small and probably only works for kids. But the bigger issue is that it is a pain to have to put it up and down to use it as a bed. Nobody eats until the dinette sleeper(s) are awake and up.
We have a 34' class a now, and I would take my 31' class c back in a heartbeat.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:44 AM   #11

Appalachian Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by "007" View Post
Welcome to irv2.
If you have no family when traveling the large "C" would probably work out for you.
Most C's have small closet space the A's have more and a larger shower and toilet area.
The floor plan may decide for you because you will be living in it.
Exactly. A's are generally made for 2 people, C's are generally made for families. Same size A or C won't be that different to drive. The new ACE by Thor tries to be both!
Old 04-12-2013, 08:06 AM   #12

hello, We have had both Class C and Class A . Now we own a big ole class a , wish I had my Class C back any day. As a woman I felt more comfortable driving it but I didn't like the floor plan. Seems there would be less to maintaine on the gasser than a diesel. JMOP the Class A is like taking the house for our short trips,but the Class C was like fun camping with the grans. Just check lots of floor plans and options on both. Good Luck shopping!!!
Old 04-12-2013, 08:22 AM   #13

Taking a large class A out just for a weekend could be less fun. In our younger days we had TC. We could go any where in remote areas etc. When we graduated to class A on the first trip we buried it up to the axles. As we get older very remote camping has not been as popular with us. Now we can make long trips to sight see so mainly RV parks NPs etc. That is certainly something to think about when buying an RV. No one RV fits all.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:07 AM   #14

I just looked at a 31' class 'C' and a 28' Class 'A' yesterday. The class 'C' was on a 14,500 lb chassis and the class 'A' on an 18,000lb chassis.

To me, I liked the small class 'A' much better because it was much more open. Higher ceiling, big front window which made it more pleasant to be in.