Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2018, 11:35 AM   #1

Class A versus Class C 30 feet or less

Considering a larger coach-have a class c 25ft-looking at going to 30 for these reasons: larger bathroom and walk around bed. Do want a slide for added space. Class C is noisy on the road - are Class A better for noise and ride? Share all your pros and cons please!
Jawilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2018, 12:15 PM   #2

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawilson View Post
Considering a larger coach-have a class c 25ft-looking at going to 30 for these reasons: larger bathroom and walk around bed. Do want a slide for added space. Class C is noisy on the road - are Class A better for noise and ride? Share all your pros and cons please!
The Class C & the Class A's (that are not a diesel pusher) normally will have the same gas engine (Ford v-10 ) in front.. The engine placement & associated noise generated in either case is in front of, or between the front seats..The differences of noise level depends on the amount of sound deadening material the coach builder uses around the engine compartment and "dog house" engine cover .
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 12:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
The Class C & the Class A's (that are not a diesel pusher) normally will have the same gas engine (Ford v-10 ) in front.. The engine placement & associated noise generated in either case is in front of, or between the front seats..The differences of noise level depends on the amount of sound deadening material the coach builder uses around the engine compartment and "dog house" engine cover .

So regardless of Class type -time spent adding deadening material will improve things. We experience a lot of noise from the coach doorway also-and have been looking at improving that.
Any other pros or cons with a move to a class A versus just picking up length in a longer Class C!
Jawilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 12:54 PM   #4

I don't think the noise is going to change much between a Ford powered C and Ford powered A.

As far as the ride, check how many posts from F53 Class A MHs owners, trying to smooth it out. Its a truck chassis and will ride like one.

Compare that to the E450 Class C complaints. Very few.

They will ride better but will not have the carrying capacity of the heavier chassis.

Thor is offering a Class A on a E450 chassis. Its called a Axis and comes up to 28.6 feet long.
With the level floor plan incorporating the swivel front seats, it seems much bigger then a Class C.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 04:22 PM   #5

I shopped a class c or A, 30 feet or less and was amazed by how much more living areas plus storage the A provided.
The ride of a ford class A is very rough on bad roads. It’s decently smooth on good roads. But, definitely rough on bad roads.
I wish my rig didn’t have slides... they are more trouble than they are worth.
Old 09-12-2018, 04:48 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
We went from a 2006 Thor Class C 26' to a 2005 Holiday Rambler Class A 30'.
The main reason we switched was to get rid of the corner bed. Totally worth it.
Each drives equally bad, and the noise is about the same. Both stock, no sound deadening, or handling modifications.
Both had slides, but the class A has 2. Never had a problem with them.....yet.
Can't believe it's only 4' longer. It seems like 10' longer due to all the usable space right up to the windshield. There is also way more storage space.
We are very glad we made the switch.
Old 09-12-2018, 05:00 AM   #7

I have a 31 ft Class A from Newmar, and the ride on rough roads can be troublesome but it is pretty good on good roads. I’ve swapped out the Ford spec’d Bilsteins for Bilstein spec’d ones and it rides better. Lowered tire air pressure to what Goodyear tire chart says. Still as mentioned above it is a truck. As far as noise, it’s not ad at all in normal driving, even at highway speeds. It can get really loud when it has to downshift to get up a hill. I have not added any soundproofing to the cover.

Mine is a triple slide with one being a FWS and so far the only problems have been self inflicted. When they are all extended, makes the place feel like a small apartment. Close up for travel more like a closet.

Take a look at the Newmar line of small Class A units. They go as short as 27-28 ft.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 07:37 AM   #8

One advantage you will find with most of the class A's in this size range is a higher cargo carrying capacity since they are typically built on 17,000 - 20,000 GVWR chassis vs the 12,500-14,500 GVWR of class C's
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 01:15 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
We shopped for both for two years. Went with class A for more storage and bigger tanks. Also front seats are useable. Like sitting up higher and the big window without the over hang from the bunk.
brokenrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 09:43 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Have had multiple class a in socal and so texas, even with the dash air at 100% efficiency, you roast driving in 100 degree heat, yes generator was running either 2 roof sits, still roasted, went to a 31ft class c with one air (15k) and factory a/c on the e450. Will freeze you out in 100 degree heat, front overhang makes a world of difference, just my take on class a vs class c
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 05:53 PM   #11

Check with wife!

We currently have a 33ft A class and my wife says she would like to have a C because the grandchildren could sleep up over the front. We left the class C because we could not climb up to the bed over the front and hated crawling over her to go the bathroom in the middle of the night. The bed in the back is great. It is BIG and we can walk around it and I will NEVER give it up unless the wife says I have to! The pull out coach bed and folding down the kitchen table does work ok for the grandchildren, but with the front bed, they would have a place to store their junk on the bed 24/7
Waggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 07:03 PM   #12

We went from a 24' class C to a 32' class A. The engine noise is about the same and the handling is similar. The main reason was the bedroom in the rear with a walk around bed. There is way more storage in the A and the tanks are way larger, 100 gal fresh water vs 30 gal in the C. Both were older coaches with no slides.
Old 11-18-2018, 09:48 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawilson View Post
Jawilson, thanks for starting this thread!

DH wants a walk-around bed so I can make the bed more easily...that's sweet. We both want more kitchen counter space and better seating (the U-dinette is not impressing us). Frankly I'd like to quit worrying about a cab-over leak, so I'm partial to an A class, but we're used to a C. Either way, next time we'll go with a used unit though we've been very pleased with the brand new rig we bought.
lfcjasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 02:55 PM   #14
NRR

Solo Rvers Club
I am with avfordguy for exactly the same reasons. Had a 36’ class A gasser. Found driving in the summer it was hot up front when the sun was coming in that big front window. Even with the generator running and the house AC on plus dash AC on max. I also did not like the one door to get out of it.

I first went to a 28’ class C on a E350 chassis and just loved no sun into the cab most of the day. Then I found my current 29’ class C on a Chevy 4200 chassis with a big walk into shower and lots of kitchen counter space. It has no windows in the cab over so no leaks from them.

The Chevy cab is quieter with more foot room. It also has better road manners than the Ford. One other design thing I like is the 60x80 bed is offset to one side just enough to make it very easy for me to walk around on the other side without being cramped.
NRR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, class c