Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-03-2013, 05:03 PM   #15

We have had both and have traveled and lived in both. The maintenance costs of the diesel pusher seems quite a bit more expensive than the pick up trucks I used for towing the King of the Road 5th wheel. The primary reason we have a motorhome is my wife can get up and use the bathroom without me having to look for a place to park a 5th wheel so she can go back there. Snacks from the refrigerator are easy for her to get. We occasionally do an overnight in a Walmart or rest area or along a highway somewhere. Kind of nice to think I can drive off without having to get out of the 5th wheel go to a pickup to leave - this hasn't happened but if the parking area turned a little "nasty" we can easily fire up and move on without exposing ourselves to whatever the "nasty" is. Just my opinion.

Bob, Sandi & Marmaduke the Big Pug
SW OREGON 2004 Journey 39K, 330 Cat
If towing: a 2006 Mini Cooper or 1995 Wrangler
1ciderdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2013, 05:06 PM   #16
Just put money down on a DP, our first one. (New to us). See that MH have issues from time to time, are they caused by age or miles driven? We had 5ers before but wanted more room on one level.

siggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 05:55 PM   #17
The people we travel with have TT’s or 5th wheels. Some of their floor plans are spacious with very nice kitchens. If we were going to live full time in one place I would strongly consider the 5ers. That being said:

My fuel mileage is as good if not better than all of their trucks including the Diesels.
My bay storage is convenient and holds more than any of theirs (that I have seen).
I’m backed in and set up before they get their trucks unhooked.
Plus the driving view from a truck will never compare to the view from a Class A.
Every one of them has said if they had gotten the deal I did they would be in a Class A.
Loving My RV
2005 Dolphin 6355 LX W24
lenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:20 PM   #18
Just traded our 5th wheel for a Class A... Our decision was mostly based on disabilities I have incurred over the last 2 years (just cant do all the leveling, unhooking, etc. that goes along with a 5th wheel anymore). The whole manual process that went along with the trailer is for the most part automated or non existent in the MH, and I didnt know just how convenient it was to have everything available to you while traveling (bathrooms, fridge, etc.) until we made our first trip in the MH - Not to mention its just more comfortable for the family to ride in the MH than it was in our truck... All things considered I miss some aspects of the trailer, but the MH wins out hands down for ease of use, convenience, and traveling comfort... The only drawback I see to the MH is handling going down the road. It's like driving a billboard (blows around a bit, tends to wander in the lane)... Driving my truck I felt more at ease than the MH, however in time maybe I will develop the same level of ease in the MH. Gonna adds some suspension mods in the future that should help... JMHO...
2011 Chevrolet 2500HD
2017 Montana Legacy
A.C.E.Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 03:46 AM   #19
Very interesting thread. And great timing for me, I might add.
We just got home from Oshkosh with the 5er. We've decided we want to back to a MH.
Now, I've had 3 5ers and a class c Jayco. Wife isn't sure she would like a class A. I'd like to buy a used A, drive/use it a couple of years, then decide whether or not to buy a new A or C.
I have absolutely no problems backing or pulling a trailer, but as has been said here several times, the mh is MUCH more convenient.
malexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 10:22 AM   #20
Originally Posted by Winepress View Post
Someone once told me.....

Fifth Wheel, vacation starts when you arrive at your destination.
MH, vacation starts when you leave your driveway.

I've had both, enjoyed both, like the MH experience better.
So very true, we had the trailer for 7 years , really enjoyed it, but with a wife & 2 daughters plus a niece every once in a while, having that bathroom and not having to stop every 100 miles is a true blessing. We have a 31 ft. Class C and pretty much love it. Bought a used Jeep after having it a year cause you just have to have some wheels, so we are pretty well set. Yes, I liked the trailer, but would never go back.
2011 Chateau 31 ft. (2005 Jeep Wrangler)
Dr. Den is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 02:00 PM   #21
For the DW and I, we wanted a 40' DP. We could not afford new so we were looking at 3 to 4 years old. Drove several several. They all seemed to rattle, shake and roll down the highway. I was not sure I could put up with the vibration.

We ended up with a new 5th wheel and new truck. The rig goes down the road great. The 5th wheel has auto level. So far it is working out great. We love all the room and simple easy set-up. I still set 2x12x12" blocks under my leveling pads. As I would for a MH.

Do you do this for a MH too? Seems you do not want the leveling pad to sink into the dirt, mud, grass, blacktop...correct. so not sure if a MH is easier to set-up or not.

The new 5th wheel/truck was about 40g's less than a used DP.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 04:31 PM   #22
One other consideration revolves around what your life involves when you're not using the RV. I have a boat, a utility/motorcycle trailer and a woodworking hobby that require me to have some kind of pick up truck. The 5th wheel simply requires a BIG pick up. I also like the fact that if my engine needs to go into the shop, my RV can stay at the campground.

Central New York; 2016 Rockwood 2604WS travel trailer
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie Eco Diesel; 2002 Harley Heritage Classic
Bill Davey is offline   Reply With Quote

5th wheel