Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-26-2013, 12:45 PM   #1
Class A vs 5th wheel

Now i know that this is just going to be based on peoples opinions but I have not ruled out a 5th wheel as a purchase yet over an A class.

What are the pros and cons of one over the other?

5th wheel for me is, i like the living area/length options but not sure about the towing..and size restrictions...eg roads and parks.

A class..Like the style and would feel more comfortable with a toad, but need some pointers either way.
Thanks for your input.

Terry & Gill

wadders is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2013, 01:13 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Feel free to use our search feature and you'll find a ton of opinions on this topic, but the classic points made include:

*MH is thought to provide a better travel experience because of the big viewing area, how high you ride, and the availability of all of your house conveniences while moving down the road.

*Fivers provide much more attractive floorplans and living space in the opinion of many folks... including me.

*Using a large tow vehicle instead of a small toad for daily transportation is thought to be a negative by many.

*Fivers plus TVs are usually less expensive than a similar level of DP... although I think gas rigs could give them a good run for their money in the cost category.

*Some make the point that, if there are drive train issues with a MH, your living quarters might have to go into the shop for an extended period of time... not the case with fivers.

Our bottom line was that we intended to do a lot of traveling and wanted a DP with toad.

Best of luck.

Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 06:03 PM   #3
We tried to wear out our fifth wheel. Did wear out one truck and almost another. It was 35'' long and we were in our early 50's. Time and the Ritis Bros took a toll on me and the Mrs climbing those steps to get from the living room into the bed/bath area. We settled in on an older DP which cut my set-up time in half along with helping my ailing hips.

If I was younger and in good health, the fifth wheel Would be my choice.
bailiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 06:09 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Wife Speaks

Originally Posted by wadders View Post
Now i know that this is just going to be based on peoples opinions but I have not ruled out a 5th wheel as a purchase yet over an A class.
"I wouldn't trade my bathroom enroute for anything." Wife July 2013
RVNeophytes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 06:12 PM   #5
RickO hit a lot of the highlights.

IF you are comfortable towing including backing into tight camp spaces, owning a really big truck and using it as a daily driver once you are where you want to be, the a fifth wheel would be a great choice. Since I don't fit this category it was not an option for me.

I've had my mh in the workhorse service center a number of times (it is 13 years old after all) and so far it has not been an issue as we are NOT full time and our travel plans are quite flexible. We had to have it towed once but we were able to use our car to get back home.

Watching people back their 5th wheel / TT into a campsite and all they go through to set it up continues to support my decision to get a mh with leveling jacks. Especially if it's raining.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood SC
2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
wildtoad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 06:47 PM   #6
We used to own a 40' 5er and still have our Chevrolet dually. We were very happy and comfortable with our rig, even caravaning to AK. We put over 60 thousand miles on our rig in 7 years. Age caught up with us and we traded for a DP motorhome. Now setup and preparing to travel is much faster and easier_for both of us. We rarely had any problems with our truck and 5er, but can't say the same for our MH. It's in the shop now for a laundry-list of repairs, expected to take 2 weeks minimum. Thank goodness for the extended service contract, the service manager estimated all the repairs to be around $5,000 upon completion,and it would cover them all but one.
That said, we still prefer our MH.

wildtoad, FWIW, if we back our MH into a space we still must get out in the rain to unhook the towed, drive it out of the way before we can back into a parking space. Of course a pull-thru eliminates that for either rig, been there done that with both.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 06:56 PM   #7
Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
MH all the way. Unless you are real comfortable backing a 5er, backing a MH is much easier. I used to drive 18 wheelers and had to back them. Can be a PITA. My MH is much easier for me to back into a spot, even being 45 feet long. No comparison.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 01:02 PM   #8
Hello had 3 5th wheels last one a 35 footer never had a problem backing or towing or setting up, but age and health issues caught up to the wife traded it for a 2005 Beaver DP 43 footer and would never go back to a trailer. Loved the Excel we had but you can,t compair it to the Beaver wife doesn,t get sore travelling as she can move around which helps, easier to set up and decamp more storage,better down the road viewing,larger tanks,just better all-round-fit- for us older people.I am not knocking trailers or 5th wheels as I have had both just now that I have had all perfer the M/H.Thankyou
2005 Beaver Patroit Thunder 42' Vicksburg Quid Slide.
Diesel Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 02:42 PM   #9
Thanks for your comments people, I think i am still on course for the A class. May still look at a 5 er when we come over but i think i like the idea of the MH.
wadders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 03:05 PM   #10
I have a class A and my camping buddy has a 5er. I am already cooking dinner while he is messing with his landing gear. I considered a 5er but then I would have to buy a $50,000 truck. I also like the fact that all amenities are right there, especially with the grandkids. It's also more fun when you bring friends, they can watch the tube and have a beer...and go the restroom without me stopping.
Don and Barb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 07:54 AM   #11
Being in my late 60s I have found it is so nice to pull in a park and hit the auto level, hook up elect, water, and sewer, and have a cigar and drink.
especially it it is pouring down rain. Having a bathroom on the road is a plus for my wife. Priced a fifthwheel and new one ton truck and for the same price purchased a 38ft gas MH. No regrets
ronny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 09:17 AM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
What Rick said!
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 10:02 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to Gadget63 Send a message via Yahoo to Gadget63
I drove tractor trailers for years and was a yard switcher too so I am no stranger to backing up a trailer and to be honest am quite good at it. However, nothing beats having your bathroom and kitchen available to you while driving down the interstate, and setting up the MH is a snap! We had our share of TT and now having this MH there is no looking back. But as previously stated it all boils down to personal preference and how much setting up you are willing to do.
Richie, Rose and our Australian Terrier Harley
2004 Bounder 35R, 2012 ACME EZtow,2012 Kia Rio Hatchback
Gadget63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 04:47 PM   #14
Someone once told me.....

Fifth Wheel, vacation starts when you arrive at your destination.
MH, vacation starts when you leave your driveway.

I've had both, enjoyed both, like the MH experience better.

Try to live up to your dogs opinion of you.
Winepress is online now   Reply With Quote

5th wheel