Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2012, 08:21 PM   #15

I'm amazed that the Class A has a shorter wheelbase than the Class C. When we were looking at used rigs, early to mid 2000's, all the 30-foot Class C's were E450 van-based and were on wheelbases that gave an enormous rear overhang. We got quite serious about one, until I took a test drive and ran it over a truck scale. Without any of our "stuff" in it, and with the waste tanks empty, the rear axle load was within 10% of its maximum rating. Since the grey and black tanks and the fuel tank were all aft of the back wheels, I just couldn't see that rig being manageable.

We bought a used 32' Class A and are quite pleased with it (see signature). We've had a few minor issues, but all DIY fixable, so far.

Our first rig was a 26' "C". It had a corner double bed that was near impossible to get into, two pedestal tables where the steel tube went into a hole in the wood floor. They both wobbled enough to spill your coffee!

To top it off, the rig had a 460 Ford with a carburator. We got 6 mpg at sea level and less than 5 in the mountains. We managed to dump it before gas got much over $2.50 then had to wait 6 years before we could get another rig.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2012, 09:11 PM   #16

Class c is safer in a crash,for the most part.
acoustic123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:22 PM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by acoustic123 View Post
Class c is safer in a crash,for the most part.
And this is based on what data?
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 02:37 AM   #18

Can someone with experience add some feedback on the pros and cons of the Ford 460 vs the Chev 454? I've noticed in the 20 year old range most of the Class Cs come with the Ford while the Class As tend to be a Chev motor. I think I would prefer the Chevy engine. Thanks.
Old 02-18-2012, 04:51 AM   #19

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
RV.org has advantages and disadvantages of both A&C

Class A Motorhomes - RV Consumer Group

Class C Motorhomes - RV Consumer Group

According to them: Class A's are generally less safe and don't handle as well as C's
Tyler6357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 05:54 AM   #20

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A lot of good info here and here'what I can say. Had a 29ft C, Ford E350 for about 5 years. Traded last year for a 34ft A on a F53 chassis. I cant think of one thing that I liked the C over the A for. My biggest initial suprise was the turning radius of the A. Like comparing a sports car to a fire engine
jlyon69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 07:29 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Have had both a C and an A. One of the things I really enjoy in my A is the view. Not only down the road for safety but also the view in general. If you decide on an A, test drive both the Chevy and Ford chassie. They ride totally differently.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 09:16 AM   #22

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I understand what you're asking & why.

But one of the biggest considerations you must factor in is how you will be using it? Will it be used for mostly driving & sightseeing, or for getting from Point A to point B, and relaxing in the motorhome?
Old 02-18-2012, 10:07 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenjays View Post
Can someone with experience add some feedback on the pros and cons of the Ford 460 vs the Chev 454? I've noticed in the 20 year old range most of the Class Cs come with the Ford while the Class As tend to be a Chev motor. I think I would prefer the Chevy engine. Thanks.
I like the chevy because it has been around for decades.
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 12:04 PM   #24

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Having owned three class c's and two a's I am always interested in the number of people who feel that the c is easier to drive. Given all things the same, length, weight, etc., I find the A much easier to maneuver. IMHO there are two major factors. The ability to see in the A much better than the C. (I know that people talk about the passenger side blind spot, but you just have to remember it is there and drive accordingly). My second factor is that I am convinced that driving a class c develops a false sense of well being. Those that will tell you that it is like driving a van are blocking out the fact that there is a house back there that is 2 - 3 feet wider than where you are sitting and up to 15 to 20 feet longer. If you remember that your mirrors are more or less the gauge of width you go by, then you are probably OK. That being said, I will take my present A over my C's any day. Thirty four feet with a 228" wheelbase feels pretty good for a gas rig.
Old 02-18-2012, 03:43 PM   #25

This has been a great thread. Thanks to everyone who has contributed. We are going to be traveling from CA to WI this summer and probably every other year for the next couple decades. We also like to camp locally at least a few times each year. We have been tenting it up until now in a Suburban and utility trailer with 5 kids and a couple small dogs. Budget is around $7-10K so I'll be using my mechanic skills for sure. We have been internet shopping and are planning our first in person shopping this weekend. The class A 28-30" is what I'm leaning towards at this point.
Old 02-18-2012, 05:21 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by demoon View Post
... (I know that people talk about the passenger side blind spot, but you just have to remember it is there and drive accordingly)...
My current A has three piece mirrors. Two convex mirrors, one on top of, and the other at the bottom of the large flat mirror. Properly adjusted, there is no blind spot. I can see any vehicle, to either side of me, in one of the three mirrors, and more likely two, at any given position along side of me.

I'd never seen three piece mirrors before I bought this rig. I really like them.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:35 PM   #27

In my case the choice was easy.

The DW said if I bought an 'A' I would be doing all of the driving. If I bought a 'C' she'd happily help with the driving.

We are enjoying driving our 'C' just fine.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:24 AM   #28

Is it true that Class A's require a CDL to drive?
If so, how hard is it to obtain one?

EricGT is offline   Reply With Quote