Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2015, 11:24 PM   #29

There are some luxury RV resorts that are class A only, which may be a factor for you depending on where you travel. These tend to be higher-end resorts that charge more but offer very nice sites and amenities. Just one more thing to keep in mind.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2015, 12:02 AM   #30

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlamgat View Post
Another issue that I have when looking at a C vs. A is the question of where to keep it. Its much easier to handle and house a C unless one has estate size property. Of course this is also an intrinsic issue of buying the minimum rather than the maximum. I have noticed however that the general engineering on an equivalent size A vs. C is superior. For example A series almost always had ducted AC whereas C types are only just introducing it; Class As usually have the Generator mounted up front (pushers) where their vibration is distant from the master whereas C's have them mounted midships where every one can get the buzz.
Our lot is about 9,700 sq ft and we store our 45' rig and dolly beside the house with no troubles. Been doing it for almost 30 years now.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 07:22 AM   #31

B Bob, I respectfully suggest your paintbrush is too broad, All class A's are not diesel pushers with air suspension.

I think the OP actually has 4 choices:
1. Traditional gas-powered class C
2. "Super C"
3. Front engine, gas powered class A
4. Diesel pusher class A

Unless one has unlimited resources, price must always come into the question. While there is certainly some price overlap in the above categories (especially when considering used) it appears the OP is considering choices 1 or 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Bob View Post
Ebuss - In general the keys to getting the benefits of a class A vs class C are getting the class A with air suspension and the motor in the back. Air suspension in a motorhome is usually a much more comfortable smooth ride. Like night and day. A few high end class C's have air ride. And having the motor way in the back makes for a much quieter driving experience.

Another big benefit of a class is is usually way more basement storage.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 07:38 AM   #32

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebuss View Post
I really appreciate all the feedback. Our next stop in the spring is a test drive. We've rented s class C in the past so we're going to rent a class A and give it a try. Thsnks to all and safe travels!😀
GOOD MOVE. There are so many variables and each of us has personal preferences so why not see for yourself.

I my case, wife was unimpressed when we rented class C's twice. The next time we rented an A, and right away she wanted to start shopping to buy one.

Then came the question of gas vs diesel. I didnt see the value in paying the much higher cost for a D.P. UNTIL I drove one. Never looked at a gasser again.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 04:08 PM   #33

National RV Owners Club
Welcome to the RV world. You and only you can decide which one is best for you. I've had both and prefer the class A. Be sure to look at floor plans also.
jimnkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 12:31 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Our lot is about 9,700 sq ft and we store our 45' rig and dolly beside the house with no troubles. Been doing it for almost 30 years now.
Then you must not enjoy the ravages of a HOA. In TX (at least) they have dictatorial powers and generally most do not allow the "storage" of RVs or trailers. Parking is defined as 72 hours. It has been pointed out to a few of the HOAs that i have encountered, that a yard or drive way burdened with pick up trucks is much more unsightly than a single RV but to no avail. Apparently these constitutions are purchased off the peg as it were, by developers and are never altered. I can get away with a Sportsmobile but no chance with a Super C or an A.
vlamgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 08:23 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barmats View Post
There are some luxury RV resorts that are class A only, which may be a factor for you depending on where you travel. These tend to be higher-end resorts that charge more but offer very nice sites and amenities. Just one more thing to keep in mind.
And we are very happy these resorts exist for the original owner of our Renegade wanted to use one of these resorts in CA where his friends parked and could not. So, he traded for an A and we got a great home.
Now in reading this thread about A`s and C's there is a huge gap...the Super Super C ie. Renegade class. We recently joined this class and love our nearly new home. The Freightliner Cascadia chassis is incredibly stable and easy to drive in all conditions including big winds. The power of the 600 is incredible and makes driving in the mountains and foothills a breeze. I do miss the panorama of the snub nose but the windshields are quite large and you don't have to be concerned about putting torque on that huge floating windshield. In a few years when the newer A's with the 600 hp pushers start selling used, I'll take a Newmar, etc. for a demo run. I will never own a home again with less than 600hp.
tetonhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 08:46 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetonhawk View Post
In a few years when the newer A's with the 600 hp pushers start selling used, I'll take a Newmar, etc. for a demo run. I will never own a home again with less than 600hp.
But let's remember: HP Talks; but Torque Walks! I have a Super C F550 with 660HP but 800 Torque vs your (guessing) 1000 or more Torques (as Jeremy Clarkson would call them. That's what makes the hauling difference. Few of us ever use maximum HP available because the RPM has to be up near the red to do that. But with Max Torques coming in at 1200 rpm or nearby, thats why we have these motors vs comparable HP gassers.
vlamgat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, class c