Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2011, 09:15 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Class A vs Class C Maintenance

We've owned a Class A RV before and now thinking of buying another. However, in looking thru the forum I've seen 'hints' that Class C maintenance problems are less frequent than Class A issues. What are your thoughts and experiences?
clarkgriswold is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2011, 05:42 AM   #2

Use the "Search" function in the toolbar above.. this topic has been absolutely beat to death and asked in dozens of posts. At the end of your research you'll be just as confused and no wiser regarding the subject! It's like Ford vs Chevy vs Chrysler for cars.

Opinions are like armpits, everybody has 2 and they usually stink!
Old 04-07-2011, 06:37 PM   #3

If they are both gassers maintenance should be the same. They are both on truck frames.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:37 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
If they are both gassers maintenance should be the same. They are both on truck frames.
Although somewhat different, I'll have to agree with this as far as the chassis is concerned. The quality level built into the coach is another matter and it depends on the manufacturer. Then there's the storage issue between the two and how you intend on using the MH... geez, every thing's a compromise and subjective to individual needs. Bob

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 11:35 PM   #5

After looking at the Class C's & A's over the weekend, I've about convinced myself to go back to the Class A. You're right in that the storage is less on the Class C...and I don't like the lack of visibility you get sitting in that 'cock pit' in the C. I'm spoiled to that big view out the front window on our old Class A. ....of course the view is nice also at the campgrounds. It's like a picture window to the world. I can't say as I'm getting the impression that the gas mileage is much more on the Class C either. So all in all....I'm really leaning pretty hard towards the A.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:20 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I downsized to a class C for the last one. It had the same storage the 32 foot Adventurer had but they did that with a huge back storage area so although it had the same in cubic feet it wasn't as organized.
Class C units use smaller parts so things like wheels/tires, rotors, driveshafts are smaller and easier to handle than the bigger truck chassis if you do the work yourself.
Class C don't always have the carrying capacity and frequently are easier to overload.
A dealer once remarked on how they get more of the C class in for cab over leaks.
The mpg is not that great of an improvement esp if you tow a car.

I am going back to a Class A. I am in the Northeast and drive the GSP in jersey constantly so I have to negotiate the very narrow toll booths there. I found the Class C is harder to line up due to how the box sticks out and most of the tool booths don't have adequate approach markings on these to make it easy to align the RV during entry. It wouldn't be a big issue for most people, but I have to go through them very often so it gets to be a pain. They were made when nothing was wider than 7 feet going through them...
I like the ride height of the A better also.
I will miss the cab over bed. I used that when I needed a nap in the day, with thermal curtains installed I could go up there and black out the brightest light and plus it had the fan up front to keep me comfortable. It was hard to get up and down the factory supplied ladder though, they are not made for grown ups...

Life and circumstances change and I may end up going back to a small C class sometime in the future... all depends on what best suits the purpose at the time.
ctcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 05:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctcamper View Post
I downsized to a class C for the last one. It had the same storage the 32 foot Adventurer had but they did that with a huge back storage area so although it had the same in cubic feet it wasn't as organized.
Class C units use smaller parts so things like wheels/tires, rotors, driveshafts are smaller and easier to handle than the bigger truck chassis if you do the work yourself.
Class C don't always have the carrying capacity and frequently are easier to overload.
A dealer once remarked on how they get more of the C class in for cab over leaks.
The mpg is not that great of an improvement esp if you tow a car.

I am going back to a Class A. I am in the Northeast and drive the GSP in jersey constantly so I have to negotiate the very narrow toll booths there. I found the Class C is harder to line up due to how the box sticks out and most of the tool booths don't have adequate approach markings on these to make it easy to align the RV during entry. It wouldn't be a big issue for most people, but I have to go through them very often so it gets to be a pain. They were made when nothing was wider than 7 feet going through them...
I like the ride height of the A better also.
I will miss the cab over bed. I used that when I needed a nap in the day, with thermal curtains installed I could go up there and black out the brightest light and plus it had the fan up front to keep me comfortable. It was hard to get up and down the factory supplied ladder though, they are not made for grown ups...

Life and circumstances change and I may end up going back to a small C class sometime in the future... all depends on what best suits the purpose at the time.

I'm also afraid that I'm spoiled to that view from the Class A.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:02 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
I am building exactly what I wanted. therew aree avanatages to builing on on a truck chassis. I actully prefer the truck style cab and chassis because of the ease of maintanence. I am many times twisted as a pretzel doing maintance work on forklifts and other machinery so I'm going to do everything I can to avoid that at home and on the road. I can tilt my hood and get to anything under very easliy.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote