Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2013, 07:54 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Ours has the side rads and had the voltage regulator changed out about 6 months before we bought the coach. Ours happens to be one of the few ones that have the alternator and voltage regulator separate. (Thou it's on Thom's list to change over to one that is together.) 6 months after we bought it we had what we thought was a problem with the alternator but it only turned out to be the plug trying vibrate loose from the voltage regulator. Easy to get to and easy to just zip tie back together with side rads.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2013, 09:30 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Most of the Winnebago Ultimate line (Advantage and Freedom) had Spartan chassis and side radiator. They are a bit rare, but very well built coaches. 2004 was the last year they were built.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:18 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Paul, does the Winnebago Ultimate line have Aqua Hot?
Do you know what year they switched to the Freightliner chassis?
Old 03-22-2013, 10:26 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Aqua hot Freedom YES; Advantage NO

I believe the early ones had FL, 99 thru maybe 2001. The later years had Spartan MM semi-monoque.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:38 AM   #19

Foretravel U270 thru U320
st687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 05:39 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
All American Coaches have side radiators and most have Aqua Hots.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:35 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrateSilly View Post
Ours has the side rads and had the voltage regulator changed out about 6 months before we bought the coach. Ours happens to be one of the few ones that have the alternator and voltage regulator separate. (Thou it's on Thom's list to change over to one that is together.) 6 months after we bought it we had what we thought was a problem with the alternator but it only turned out to be the plug trying vibrate loose from the voltage regulator. Easy to get to and easy to just zip tie back together with side rads.
Contact Hehr, who makes many of the alternators on older Monaco's. The tech rep will tell you they have many more "alternator" failures in models that have built-in regulators. He suggested I switch to an external regulator the first time I had a problem. He said it was a matter of heat causing the internal regulators to fail. Just passing on what I was told when I contacted Hehr about a rapidly fluctuating voltage problem. The tech I talked to was very familiar with early model Monaco's.

Van W. 93 Dynasty 36 that does not wander, pulling one Harley.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:46 PM   #22

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelb View Post
Personally, I wouldn't have side-rad as a must-have. I won't argue that it's better but I don't think it gives you that much. For a lot of maintenance stuff, it won't matter and for the ones that do, it's usually $$$ repairs anyway (e.g. with the side-rad, it will cost you $1800 instead of $2000 with the rear-rad).
On our DSDP I can get to the altenator and have it out in 10 min.or less, including finding the tools. That can save me big $$.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:20 PM   #23
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
If I were to buy a new coach and I could afford it, I would go for a side radiator. Not so much that the coach has one, but because the more expensive coaches come with them and there are other items on my wish list that the more expensive coaches have.

If I were buying a used coach in the financial range you're serching for, I wouldn't be locked in on a side radiator. I agree with "michelb" that I would buy newer with a rear radiator.

If you plan on buing something that requires a ton of engine work and you want easy access, I guess the side radiator is the way to go. A couple of posters stated that they had to change an alternator and they were glad they bought a side radiator. That's great, but porobably not a reason to spend more money on an older coach.

I do all of my own service and repair. A side radiator may have been easier to work, but it wasn't twice the work with my rear radiator. They typically don't need anything more than servicing. They're both just as easy to do basic service on.

You may have a very real reason to have a side radiator, but working on the coach is really not a good one. My must haves would be a big motor and two speed engine brake before a side radiator.

Just a note......Monaco did their radiators a little different than others. Monaco stacks their units. The Charge Air Coller is stacke on top of the radiator where companies like Freightliner sandwhiched theirs, sometimes causing cooling issue.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:23 AM   #24

American Coach Owners Club
side radiator!

I won't argue the merits of different coaches but the easy of servicing and many repairs on a side radiator vs. a rear are just not debatable. Open up the engine door on a side and so many items are right there for servicing and replacement and just as important inspection. A close friend of mine has a HR with rear radiator and cannot wait to sell it and get a Spartan with a side radiator like my Eagle. My opinion, keep a side radiator high on your list, it will always be on mine.

Oh BTW my Eagle is a '98 and still has a the original alternator with 92000 miles.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:45 AM   #25

I spent many years in Diesel equipment maintenance in a coal mine. The rear mount radiators were always the most problem because of the difficulty keeping it clean. How do full timers keep theirs clean, and cooling. Are there places where they can "do it yourself", or do they have to take the coach to a maintenance facility?
Old 04-08-2013, 01:31 PM   #26

Ad Travel Supreme to the list as well.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:42 PM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Side-mount will stay cleaner and run cooler.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:20 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Lack of use is no doubt one ff the causes of early alternator failure. Moisture accumulates in the windings if not driven out by engine heat on a regular basis. The same reasoning that demands regular exercise for a generator applies to the engine alternator.

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote