Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2016, 11:00 AM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Class C or B+

What is the difference in a B+ and C? My neighbor has a 2015 Itasca Navion 24J that is supposed to be a B+, but looks like a C to me!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2016, 11:08 AM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
I have always considered a B to be a van front and back and a C to be van front end but coach back end. I guess the manufacturers wanted to be sure we understood that the new super coaches were something special. I still think of them as a C (van front coach back) but some of them even look like class A's due to the size and full body paint.

DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 11:15 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
What is the difference in a B+ and C? My neighbor has a 2015 Itasca Navion 24J that is supposed to be a B+, but looks like a C to me!
As I understand it, the B+ "cabover" portion does not extend far out over the windshield like a Class C. They usually have an entertainment center over the cab instead of an overhead bed. IMO they are practically the same with only a small "profile" difference. I don't know why the B+ designation was necessary as it seems to add more confusion.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 11:16 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
The B+ "cabover" portion does not extend out over the windshield like a Class C. They usually have an entertainment center over the cab instead of an overhead bed.

The one I mentioned above has a bed over the cab. They told them it is a B+

Old 07-15-2016, 11:24 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
The one I mentioned above has a bed over the cab. They told them it is a B+
Well, then beats me, Joe. I guess the salesman can call it whatever he wants. I have friends who just bought a Coachmen Concord and it was also called a B+.

The Concord looks like this...

Old 07-15-2016, 11:33 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Google found this...

Class B-Plus The Hybrid

In the past few years, the RV industry has come up with a sort of hybrid between the Class B and the Class C. Known as the B-Plus, they get better gas mileage than a Class C but have more storage and space than the Class B. They are built on a truck chassis, and there is a cab-over, but it is more aerodynamic and not as high. The cab-over usually houses storage space or an entertainment center. The bathrooms is more in line with those in a Class C. Floor plans include models with beds in the back or sofa-beds on the side, both with a separate dinette that usually converts into a bed. Slides are common.The B-Plus models, usually limited to 30 feet in length, can fit into most National Park camping spots. Depending on the model you choose, this motor home may or may not fit in your driveway.

Old 07-15-2016, 12:23 PM   #7

A B+ is actually a C. Using the term B+ is for marketing purposes, it is not an actual classification. You will notice that Winnebago does not have anything in their product line that has the tag B+ yet they build units that look like others that are marketed as B+.

A C class may or may not have the cab over area.

They way I see it someone in marketing wanted to differentiate their new sleek model class C motor home that didn't have the cab over area. They had two choices. One was to call it a C- ( minus the over cab area) which of course would have been a marketing faux pas. Instead they chose to confuse folks and called it a B+ which is technically wrong.

The same type of confusion existed with the Winnebago Rialta where some sales people would call it a B when it was a C ( or perhaps one of the first B+ ). Winnebago sold it as a C.
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 02:07 PM   #8

Winnebago/Itasca calls the Navion a C (in their 2016 literature).
Winnebago Class C RVs | Motorhomes
When I hear B+, I can get a better idea of the style, to differentiate it from a "C".
Old 07-15-2016, 02:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich F View Post
When I hear B+, I can get a better idea of the style, to differentiate it from a "C".
Same w/ the View. Its a C. And, there are two flavors. The View with the Snuffy Smith bunk snout over cab and the View Profile having the slicker looking picture window in the laid back cab to roof transition.

Length, GVWR, Sprinter 3500 chassis & drive trains are identical. The only difference is the bunky over the cab and you give away the two storage cubbys on either side of the snout.
Old 07-15-2016, 02:34 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich F View Post
Same w/ the View. Its a C. And, there are two flavors. The View with the Snuffy Smith bunk snout over cab and the View Profile having the slicker looking picture window in the laid back cab to roof transition.

Itasca Navions also have two flavors. The "Navion" and the "Navion iQ". The "iQ" is like the View Profile.
Old 07-16-2016, 06:49 AM   #11

Leisure Travel Van used to call their Unity a B+ then when they stopped making their Class B conversion van line they changed and now refer to the Unity as a Class C. Based on my observations it appears Class B is a conversion van rv and a Class B+ is a conversion of a box type delivery van, https://www.google.com/search?q=merc...ITWZIMX_UjM%3A, and a Class C is a chassis cab build on.
Old 07-16-2016, 07:02 AM   #12

FWIW Coachmen calls the Concord a C. I say it's a B+. Generally a B uses the body of the factory van. C uses the cutaway chassis and builds the house as an add on. B+ usually is a C without the overcab bunk. Salesmen will call anything whatever you want them to if it makes the sale.
Old 07-16-2016, 10:08 AM   #13
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for all your comments!

Tags
class c