Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2014, 08:35 AM   #1

Question Class C, Starting issue, need advice.

I have a 2006 Winnebago View w/Mercedes 2.7L Diesel. Recent problem is the MH won't start after sitting over night. Will make a "clicking" sound when key is turned, but engine will not turn over. If I jump start the engine and run it a short time, it will start unassisted, but when it sits over night it will not start without a jump. Five year battery is only 8 months old and checks out "good". the "Draw" has been checked and is 00.1 (within acceptable range). Problem seemed to start after install of performance chip, but I disconnected the chip and the problem did not go away. Any ideas?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2014, 08:52 AM   #2

Sounds like a dead or defective battery. Jumping it and running a short time will only put a surface charge in the battery. Disconnect the battery and charge it at least overnight. Depending on the charge rate it could take up to 24 hours to charge. Then test it or leave it disconnected and see if it goes dead overnight. If it does not go dead, hook it back up and see if it goes dead. My money is on bad battery if you can't account for why it went dead in the first place. If you know why it went dead it may just need a good charge.
Good luck

tompen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 08:53 AM   #3

Clean all of your chassis battery connections. To properly clean them you need to actually remove the terminals and sand or wire brush the contact surfaces. Then reconnect everything. Do this at the batteries first. Your symptoms sound like a classic case of corroded battery terminals.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 09:02 AM   #4

Thanx for the reply. My local mechanic has the same opinion but when I went to get the battery replaced (still under warranty) it tested "good" and replacement was rejected [at Walmart]. The "5 year" top of the line battery was installed in October of last year.
Old 09-14-2014, 09:05 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasA View Post
Clean all of your chassis battery connections. To properly clean them you need to actually remove the terminals and sand or wire brush the contact surfaces. Then reconnect everything. Do this at the batteries first. Your symptoms sound like a classic case of corroded battery terminals.
Thanx, but the terminal posts are clean and in good condition.
Old 09-14-2014, 09:38 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALTesch View Post
Thanx for the reply. My local mechanic has the same opinion but when I went to get the battery replaced (still under warranty) it tested "good" and replacement was rejected [at Walmart]. The "5 year" top of the line battery was installed in October of last year.
It is hard, not impossible, to test a dead battery. Did they test the specific gravity, or just hook up the electrical tester and do a load test ? Is a sealed battery ? Maybe you will need to invest in a hydrometer, they are cheap. Have you charged it with a battery charger. It still sounds like it is just discharged. Maybe your mechanic can charge it for you or loan you a charger if you don't have one. If your coach does not charge the chassis battery when plugged in to shore power, you might want to have a charger to carry with you.
Old 09-14-2014, 09:54 AM   #7

The gravity was not tested. Only voltage. When I am plugged into shore power, the house batteries (also replaced last year) will charge, but it doesn't seem to charge the engine battery. I can start the engine by hitting the booster switch (using house batteries as a jump). I may just have to bite the bullet and buy a new battery for the engine, and see if that solves the problem.
Old 09-14-2014, 11:06 AM   #8

You didn't hear it from me, but, some baking soda in one cell will turn it to water. You still might want a battery charger.
Old 09-14-2014, 07:44 PM   #9

Charging voltage?

Store testers are impeadance type and not best but goid for the skill set of operator.

If dead it takes hour of driving minimum to get good but not full.

What does a voltmeter indicate when running?

Next measure in morning before trying.

Then measure while turning on lights.

If voltage above 12 volts then drops to zip with lights tgen battery bad.

If below 10 before action then battery not charged and or bad.

Battery needs a full charge then load test...

Measure tge voltages as instructed and report back.

Also suggest soaking it a few days with sepwrate charger.
Old 09-20-2014, 03:50 PM   #10

I have conquered the beast! The problem turned out to be a loose wire at the starter. Go figure.... In any case, I do appreciate all the good advice. I will check in from time to time to see if I can help anyone else one of these days.

Thanx again y'all!
Old 09-20-2014, 06:36 PM   #11

Glad it was that simple. Being able to start with a jump would not send me in that direction. The wire would still be loose. Anyway, glad you got it and welcome to the forum.
Old 09-22-2014, 12:51 PM   #12

Even if your terminals look clean clean them. I had a car with what I thought was a dead battery, charged it over night, next morning car wouldn't start, I could hear the stereo volume getting lower and lower. Took the battery to the auto store to get to checked, they told me they couldn't give me a battery off the shelf that was charged as much as mine was, told me to clean the terminals, battery lasted me another 2 years. If that doesn't work have your starter checked, they will drain a battery quick when they go bad.
Old 09-24-2014, 09:34 PM   #13

OP states key off draw at 00.1 ...........that is 100 ma or a .1 amp. The general acceptable parasitic draw is a range of 10 to 50 ma or .01 to .050 amps.

If .1 amp draw was measured and recorded and then typed here correctly then that is about 10 times greater than the norm. That level for draw could cause a no start/crank after about 4 to 8 days of sitting depending several variables. That level of draw would not be noticed if the truck was driven daily.

Showkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, class c