Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2015, 08:50 AM   #43

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winepress View Post
Update: met with our attorney today. She asked that I put a letter together stating all the facts and send it to her. She will then craft (her words) a letter to the county.
Hopeful that this will go away.
You are on the right track. This is exactly what I would do. Having an attorney write a response is 99.9% effective.
Last time I had mine do one for me, was the best $75 I ever spent.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2015, 09:16 AM   #44
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Based on what I've read so far and my knowledge of sewer systems, the only way this could have happened is if there was a blockage in the campgrounds sewer linear tear the clean out. It would be normally impossible by design for the sewage to back up through the clean out even with the cap off the clean out.

My guess is the blockage is as a result of an obstacle, possibly from someone putting a rock or some such item into the sewer hole(children can be resourceful), or people use rocks to hold their sewer hose in the sewer port that may have fallen into the drain when the last person used your campsite. It could even be tree roots or even a collapsed sewer line.

A report from a certified mechanical contractor on how the system normally works and the likelihood of your unit causing this event would likely go a long way in proving your case.

In any event, it shouldn't have happened simply by your using the system as intended.

Just my opinion.

Old 07-15-2015, 09:26 AM   #45

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
Re-read the FD's report and note the words, Underground Source. OP cannot possibly be at fault if the CG's plumbing that runs underground failed to contain the effluent.
I, and I hope everyone else in this thread, Agree with you.

However the O/P is also the one least able to defend himself as to appear in court is going to require he return to, well, that campground (or one near it) and that may not be easy .

I would like to know the name of the CG since I do NOT wish to park there.

And as I said.. I do not think whomever sent the bill read the entire report. I think they read only as far as his admission it was his sewage. (Someone suggested they prove it is his, which by the way is easy to do ***IF*** it is his.. Might not be, Might have been overflow from the park septic tank in which case it would be many people's sewage).
Old 07-15-2015, 10:12 AM   #46

Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I guess I need to add a step to my camping setup itinerary to check and test the sewer hookup to make sure that it works properly before I set up from now on.
Old 07-15-2015, 01:55 PM   #47

My question is if the campground ever had a plumber come out and see why this happened in the first place or are they just going to pretend this whole thing away. I am confident that the attorney letter will open some eyes and get this bill for the clean up to disappear.
Old 07-15-2015, 03:41 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscot View Post
Not a lawyer, but without pictures, names of witnesses and campground employees, I would say your next step is get out your checkbook.

Good thing you are not a lawyer!
Old 07-16-2015, 06:48 AM   #49

I don' know what state it was in but in order to collect they are going to have to sue you and serve you which might be difficult depending on the type of service required.
Old 07-16-2015, 07:43 AM   #50

If you turn into your insurance, they have a fleet of lawyers and I can pretty much guarantee they will fight it on your behalf. This sounds like an easy win. Insurance companies hate to pay anything.
Old 07-16-2015, 08:05 AM   #51

Pretty much my LAST step would be to spend at least hundreds on a lawyer to fix this. Have you talked with the CG Manager? How about to the county? If no satisfaction there, I would certainly consider letting your insurance company go to bad for you first.....for free! Just getting a bill doesn't mean you have to pay it.
Old 07-16-2015, 08:10 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
How about providing us the name and location of that campground? I sure don't want to stay there.
Winepress
As 1ciderdog said, please post the name and location of that campground....especially since they appear to be shirking their responsibility.
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 07-16-2015, 02:02 PM   #53

Update- Been advised not to disclose the parks name until the issue is resolved. Although I have insurance, I want to see how this plays out before filing a claim. I have two letters, one to the county and the other to the park. I basically wrote the letters and my attorney spiced it up with some legal jargon. The park one is a very strongly worded letter stating that the responsibility is that of the parks and that we will be seeking damages from them if the county continues to pursue the issue with me. The letter makes a demand that the park contacts the county and accepts full responsibility for the incident within ten days. Attorney has told me that she would be surprised if the county does not change the responsible party to that of the park. Stay tuned
Old 07-16-2015, 07:20 PM   #54

I disagree...I have been a builder for 25 yrs prior to my now retail....I did most of my building out of town and even have septic at my house...I can describe several different systems if you want like nodak ect...now if the tank it self was full and the drain field unable to drain as the tank was full then it would of course come up the cleanout or if it was your basement then it would have come up your basement drain...this happens in a nodak system most as sewer dumps into 1100 gallon tank[8 0r 9 feet below ground] and that tank dumps into pit[at top of tank height] with a pump which then pumps up to like less than 3 feet from top of ground to drain field. the tank stores the sewage for decomposition and then dumps to drain field which is a gravel base and pvc pipe with holes in it to leak into gravel and disperss.....any questions??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogpatch View Post
Based on what I've read so far and my knowledge of sewer systems, the only way this could have happened is if there was a blockage in the campgrounds sewer linear tear the clean out. It would be normally impossible by design for the sewage to back up through the clean out even with the cap off the clean out.

My guess is the blockage is as a result of an obstacle, possibly from someone putting a rock or some such item into the sewer hole(children can be resourceful), or people use rocks to hold their sewer hose in the sewer port that may have fallen into the drain when the last person used your campsite. It could even be tree roots or even a collapsed sewer line.

A report from a certified mechanical contractor on how the system normally works and the likelihood of your unit causing this event would likely go a long way in proving your case.

In any event, it shouldn't have happened simply by your using the system as intended.

Just my opinion.
Old 07-16-2015, 07:22 PM   #55

in other words the drain field was full from constant dumping and it could not handle any more liquid to disperss// so the tank and pipes are full of sewage and it has no place to go except up///
Old 07-16-2015, 07:24 PM   #56

so clearly not his fault...the system was full....with no place to go... ive been around this since child even at trailer court that I lived in that was not hooked to city sewer as out in country... the owner had to pump tanks into vacuum tank trunks and dump in fields daily and the trailer court was to big for the system....