Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2008, 03:04 PM   #1

Just got back from a weekend with a few other winnebago owners and ZI am standing outside looking at the MH and trying to think of a good way to clean the bugs from the windshield and front of the coach. This was one of biggest pet peeves (jobs I hate to do but must) when we were on our trip out west this summer.

Does anyone have a good(read easy) way to clean the front of the coach? Any thing you have used or done would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2008, 03:04 PM   #2

Just got back from a weekend with a few other winnebago owners and ZI am standing outside looking at the MH and trying to think of a good way to clean the bugs from the windshield and front of the coach. This was one of biggest pet peeves (jobs I hate to do but must) when we were on our trip out west this summer.

Does anyone have a good(read easy) way to clean the front of the coach? Any thing you have used or done would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 09-23-2008, 03:28 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Bounce drier sheets. Wet down the window and front of the coach and rub the dry sheet over the areas. Don't let it dry completely and hose or wash off with clean water. Works like a charm.
lthrnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 04:07 PM   #4

ITHRNK, Is giving you good advice. I do it a little different than his method. I use used dryer sheets, wet them wipe over the entire area, and the bugs just dissolve. Flush it off with clear water and wipe dry. Works like magic.
Old 09-24-2008, 03:46 AM   #5

I also use the dryer sheets. I wet thyem and then wipe the windshield. I am going to try the other suggestion to see if that is better. the bugs come off with little effort.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:49 AM   #6

I to have found that nothing on the market works better than wet dryer sheets. Have been using them for years on MH and motorcycle.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 04:01 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
If the front of your coach has 3M vinyl or something similar, DO NOT USE DRYER SHEETS on painted surfaces. I did, and my vinyl has lots of scratches in it. I use liquid wax (JWax by Turtle wax) with a sponge or with the OEM telescoping sponge/squegee for the areas I can't reach with the sponge.
Old 09-24-2008, 06:18 PM   #8

Microfiber cloth (avail at WM) works well on 3M or painted surfaces. I wet the rags and squeeze them out and the bugs come off easily. I also use the squeegee on the windshield. I will try the dryer sheets on the windshield and compare to the squeegee.

JD
Old 09-24-2008, 06:19 PM   #9

If you have a front mask on your MH, just use warm water and a good cloth. I have a 3-m mask on the Holiday Rambler and a drink bottle full of hot water and a shop towel will remove the bugs. If you do not have a front mask use rejex or similar product after you clean it and the bugs will come off a lot easier the next time. Trick is to never let them stay for a long time and dri out. That is when they are really difficult to remove.
Old 09-25-2008, 03:38 AM   #10

Honestly the "easiest" thing we do to get the bugs off.....assuming you do it at the end of the driving day because the longer they dry out, the harder the little buggies are to remove....is two microfiber cloths. One nearly dripping wet and the other a dry one to dry off the drips.

After doing the windshield, I just keep working downward on the rest of the front cap and everything else in the bug zone. Like front side of the mirrors, mirror arms and occasionally the driver and or passenger window if they were in the splash path.

It probably takes 15-20 minutes. We do keep Rain-X on the windshield which makes it easier to clean off everything. Then if I'm feeling especially good, I might go tackle the tow after that.
DonnaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 06:50 PM   #11

I use the bug off windshield washer fluid. Soak an area and then use a mesh sponge to get the bugs off. Finish up with a micro towel.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:44 AM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Ho: The real answer is not to let the bugs stay too long. The most difficult problems are in southern Utah or Nevada when the temperature goes above 115 deg. F.

However, my answer is every morning after we have been on the road to use hot water from the outside shower and the same kind of squeege that they have at gas stations. I can do the entire front of the MH in less than ten minutes.

Tschuess, Dirk
Old 09-26-2008, 03:52 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dirk Ostermiller:
Hi Ho: The real answer is not to let the bugs stay too long. The most difficult problems are in southern Utah or Nevada when the temperature goes above 115 deg. F.

However, my answer is every morning after we have been on the road to use hot water from the outside shower and the same kind of squeege that they have at gas stations. I can do the entire front of the MH in less than ten minutes.

Tschuess, Dirk </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

+1
mountainkowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 02:29 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Well....easiest we've found is to a.) spray buggy windshield with clean water from an old spray bottle and let bugs soak a few minutes (have some coffee); b.)spray a little more and scrub with mesh sponge (have another sip of coffee); c.)spray area once more to wet well and squeegee most of water off (more coffee); d.)drape damp chamois over sponge/squeegee head and wipe windshield dry....then...sit down and have a Gin-n-Tonic!!!! WORKS GREAT....so does the clean water procedure Steve & Lynette