Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2007, 05:38 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
I'm going to tackle cleaning my headlights. The plastic is crazing just a bit and it really bothers me. Has anyone had success with getting rid of the crazing (small hairline cracks) in headlight lenses? I was thinking of using rouge for plastics.

Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2007, 05:38 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
I'm going to tackle cleaning my headlights. The plastic is crazing just a bit and it really bothers me. Has anyone had success with getting rid of the crazing (small hairline cracks) in headlight lenses? I was thinking of using rouge for plastics.

Thanks
Old 07-15-2007, 06:46 PM   #3
adj

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You will probably need an acrylic polishing kit. I'm not sure wether you can locate one at an automotive store, but, they are available on-line.

04 Lapalma 33'
adj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 04:29 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Eastwood has all sorts of stuff for restoring old vehicles. They have one.

If they aren't that bad I'd try Meguiars. Meguiars makes a Clear Plastic Cleaner and a Clear Plastic Polish. I use them once or twice a year on all my plastic headlights and they stay crisp and clear and make it easier to wash bugs off. However, once you let them get away for 5 years and they get really bad the Meguiars isn't aggressive enough to bring them back. then it's Eastwood time.

"Go ahead, make my day".
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 05:25 AM   #5

I cleared up a bad glazing and crazing problem on my headlight cover with 3M. This appears to be a temporary fix that must be repeated about every six months but it is easy enough to do.
Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
J Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 06:43 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Thank you everyone . I'll have to take before and after pictures. Some of the crazing is pretty deep at the top of the headlamps.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:02 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Cruzer,

I looked on Eastwood's site and the products for refurbishing your headlight covers range in price from $18 to $500 (includes polisher).

Can you be a little more specific?

Full-timing by necessity. . . not choice.
Kernel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 05:48 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Try Autosol, it's Eastwood's part nbr 52267 and comes with a buffing wheel. You can also use the Autosol on other fine finishes. The bare product is # 13170 or 13175.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 01:51 AM   #9

Advance Auto has a kit you can buy specifically for restoring headlights. It's by the other headlight bulbs and such, about $20.00. Just ask a counterman for the headlight kit, most should know what you mean.

It works fairly well, and it is a chemical based restore product. One package will take care of two normal sized headlights.

John
Moder2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 11:49 AM   #10

Before you start spending all that money for this and that try toothpaste (you might have to try a couple of different brands. It is a great mild polish. After that and you wash them thouroughly use Protect All. You more than likely will save a great deal of money.
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 04:58 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Got the kids (28 years old) visiting this weekend. I'm going to work on those lights next weekend. I'll take pictures. We are 45 minutes from any auto parts store, so I guess I'll bring an arsenal of polished with me
Old 10-03-2008, 08:00 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Ok, one year later and I now have clear headlamps. Here is how I did it. Don't worry it didn't take a year, but, it did take a year for me to find that "Round Tuit"

I bought 800, 1000, 1500, and 2000 grit wet sandpaper. I removed the headlamps and started with the 800 moving up to the 2000 grit always keeping the lenses wet. This took me about 45 minutes to one hour per lense, with some rests beteween the right and left arm workouts . I finished up with Meguires plastic polish and Mothers small foam polishing ball....same one I used on the wheels, and some help from Patty as the lense holder . Sorry I didn't take before and after pictures, but the lenses had heavy, deep cracks, and did come out looking brand new.

Cost was about $5.00 for the sand paper and I already had the plastic polish and the Mothers foam ball.
Old 10-05-2008, 08:12 AM   #13

Just this morning, on "TwoGuys' Garage" they were doing a spot for Blue Coral Headlight Restorer. No other information - but I'd assume it's available in your normal auto parts store.

FMCA; WIT; FCOA; Good Sam; Passport
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 11:57 AM   #14

I used one of the $20 ones on my Jeep's headlights. Looks like new. Didn't take long and I only hand sanded. Mine was made by CV (Crystal View) www.myheadlight.com. I bought it at Wal-Mart but Advance also has the same product for the sme price.
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote