Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-18-2010, 12:43 PM   #15
Cleaning DP rear radiator

Wal-Mart has a cleaner in a purple container, can't remember the name but used it on my DP radiator. Sprayed from front and rear (under the bed). After allowing to stand about 30", rinsed with hot water from washing machine connection, both from front and under bed, and got a nice clean radiator and CAC. Also lengthened slobber tube from crankcase; no more overheating problems.

potsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2010, 01:50 AM   #16
Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to grampakoot
The Wal-Mart purple cleaning product is "Super Cleaner" a biodegradable detergent/degreaser.
Applied it with garden sprayer four times followed by a rinse four times. Ran motor revved up for several minutes while spraying rinse water. Black crud still coming out so did four more with dawn soap and then water rinse. After all that...rinse water still a slight gray. Pressure sprayed back radiator with house garden hose several times....that rinse water is coming out clean.
My slober tube consists of two 1" lines coming from above and connecting to a T that looks like it might have held a collection bottle at some point. I have attached a 6" tube to it and have it running into a container with two female hygiene pads in it (saw that recommended on RVNET).
I took the moho for a 1/2 hour run on a good challenging hill and it stayed in a good temp range. I have had these episodes before where it seems to be running cool for a couple hours but all of a sudden the temp shoots up.
Based on the amount of crud I got out of the radiator areas it no doubt will help but I am having the thermostat replaced next week, as recommended by Cat.

too darn old to age my wine....life is good in Kootenay Country
grampakoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 07:33 AM   #17
I was fortunate enough to use a friends Hotsey Steam Cleaner from the rear side of my DP. I spent the better part of 40 minutes spraying the cores from side to side. I was confident that the radiator was clean until I read several post which recommended using Simple Green or Super Clean (purple bottle) or Dawn Dish Washing Cleaner. I opted to buy a gallon each of the Super Clean (Wal Mart) , Simple Green (Lowe's). I mixed the gallons of each cleaner plus 2 cups of Palmolive Dish Cleaner in my Garden Sprayer. Started at the rear and drenched the radiator core with the mixture. Went to the underside and sprayed between the fan blades the best I could. Waited ten minutes then began rinsing with cold water. I repeated this procedure at least five times with the engine running and the idle speed set to 1250 rpm. The amount of crud which was released from the inner fan shroud and CAC/Radiator cores was amazing. Having almost a gallon of the cleaning mixture left over I intend on doing the procedure over using hot water as was mentioned by "Granpakoot"
My DP has 57K miles on it and I doubt, from the accumulation of crud, the radiator was ever cleaned before
I've since fabbed a slobber tube extension which extends to the rear of my bus and exits just below the exhaust pipe.

Here's some pics of the Slobber Tube Extension

[ATTACH]Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0128.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	318.7 KB
ID:	5524[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0139.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	306.0 KB
ID:	5523  
2001.5 Fleetwood Discovery 37U 330HP Cat
Toad-2008 Yamaha Royal Star Tour Delux
bob109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 11:49 AM   #18
Originally Posted by Catch and Release View Post
Attended Camp Freightliner this week and Mike Cody talked about the issues of using Simple Green on aluminum. There is a new product called Simple Green Pro HD that is the recommended cleaner for radiators. It is purple in color.
I cleaned mine yesterday and used that simple green HD pro bought it at home depot and it worked really good removes oil like nothing, Joe.

ninos is offline   Reply With Quote