Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2013, 08:03 AM   #15

Had mine dry cleaned. Waste of money.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2013, 08:08 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We used OXYCLEAN spray spot and stain remover and it worked perfectly. All the rust stains came out and the pleats were still perfect. Hope this helps.

2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:49 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Thank you for all the different ways to do this job, the washing machine seems to be the way to go. I have a large front loader but I was looking at the curtian last night and it is rather tall, I would have to fold it and pack it in the washer? is this what others did, fold it and just get it in the washer anyway you could? How did you folks go about getting it in there? Mine is app. 4-1/2'-5' tall and 11-12' long.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:24 PM   #18

Send a message via Yahoo to Tired-old
We went to the cleaners first. They wanted over 150 bucks and wanted us to sign a release for damage.
Wife said "nothing to lose" so into the washer it went
'hand wash cycle', Oxyclean, extra soak cycle. Hand dry.

Still some very faint sun streaks but we didn't have to by a new one!

Old 03-26-2013, 11:16 PM   #19

I pressure washed the driveway until spotless, laid the curtains out, sprayed them with simple green, and then put the pressure washer on fan spray and worked the soap off moving across the curtains at a healthy distance. Flipped them over and did the vinyl side, then hung on the line until dry. folded all the pleats and put them under some pressure for a couple days. looks good as new, no wrinkles from a washing machine.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:12 PM   #20

Thanks all for cleaning pleated drapes comments. We followed suggestions and they turned out great. Thanks again for all who posted. First time user, I now see the value of these forums. Maybe I should ask your stock picks....
Old 03-30-2013, 05:57 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmbarr View Post
Thanks all for cleaning pleated drapes comments. We followed suggestions and they turned out great. Thanks again for all who posted. First time user, I now see the value of these forums. Maybe I should ask your stock picks....
Hello and welcome, you did not mention how you cleaned your curtain, did you put it in the washer?
Old 06-01-2013, 10:03 PM   #22

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I cleaned ours using a Bissell Green carpet spotter. They sell at Wally world for less than 60 bucks. Mix water & either carpet shampoo or Joy dish soap, tide (your choice). Add a bottle of Hydrogen peroxide (not the hair bleach but the kind sold for skin care). Go slow and use the tool to apply the clearner and the vacuum to remove the dirt and excess water. The peroxide will help in stain removal. Ours had some brown stains , guessing wher eprevious owners tried to clean and got to wet. just go slow, can be cleaned hanging or take them dn and spread out. safe travels ed
Old 06-02-2013, 12:01 AM   #23
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
We took ours to the dry cleaner. I didn't want to pay for pressing the pleats, so I did it my self when I got home.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:59 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorLynn View Post
i need to clean mine too. I was thinking about dipping them in a tub of water and a little oxy clean, then line dry?
I read that tip on escapees.com. The poster said they found a tall skinny plastic container, filled it with oxy-clean solution. Then stood one end of the shades in the mixture for about a hour, reversed the shades so the other end was in the mixture. Said the shades came out looking like new. We plan to try it when we stay home long enough.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 06:26 PM   #25

I read and read about washing the front windshield curtains. Ours do not have rubber backing but a fabric backing. All of the naysayers seemed to have never done it so they had no first hand experience but stomped and screamed that we should never attempt washing them. Some people had washed them with minor issues. Slight shrinkage and seams somewhat coming loose but no catastrophic curtain failures( except a couple of people with ancient curtains exposed their entire life to AZ or TX sun). We were just in a crazy windy and dusty area so they were horrible and had water stains from a roof leak on the backing. We had an estimate to get them dry cleaned and they charged by the pleat. 1.26 dry cleanings and we spent custom drape money. And they wanted a release of damage liability and said the rust stains wouldn't come out. Soooooo!!!

I figured the worst thing that could happen was I'd have to buy new drapes. DW's domestic goddess skills end at a sewing machine. Now all of the naysayers said if it has a "dry clean only" label to definitely not machine wash them. So the first thing I did was rip that label off of them. Then we took them down, threw them into a top loading washer in cold water, 1/2 cup of arm & hammer laundry soap and a scoop of oxyclean. When we peeked inside the final rinse water was nasty so we ran the cycles again with plain water & oxyclean.

The first thing we noticed was the rust stains were gone. Then we put them in the dryer on delicate for 15 minutes. Then we noticed they were wrinkled only at the vertical seams. After they hung in the coach about 30 minutes the wrinkles were gone. Not a single problem with seams or shrinkage. These were 13 year old curtains.

And best of all, I got good guy points for helping DW with the laundry. I have enough points now that I can go almost a whole day without giving her a good listening to when I do something wrong!
Old 10-27-2013, 08:23 PM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mine are so fugly I just threw them in the washer (twice) on gentle cycle. Figured if they fell apart they were doing me a favor. While they were washing I was checking out Camping World for replacements. They came out of the washer intact, still fugly, but functional. Replacements on hold!
Old 10-27-2013, 08:30 PM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZGypsie View Post
Mine are so fugly I just threw them in the washer (twice) on gentle cycle. Figured if they fell apart they were doing me a favor. While they were washing I was checking out Camping World for replacements. They came out of the washer intact, still fugly, but functional. Replacements on hold!
Good job. Mine are 11 years old and they still look new. Washed the crap out of them with oxyclean. Drive safe my friend.

2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote