Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2013, 08:57 AM   #1

cleaning grey tank

Trying to figure out the best thing to use for cleaning out the grey water tank.
ronny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2013, 10:06 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Are you having a problem? smell or gauge sensors not working?
Old 08-14-2013, 10:56 AM   #3

I bought one of those back flush systems that hooks up on the outside where you would connect your sewer hose. It was about $20 from Walmart. I use it to back flush my black tank and I also back flush my grey tank at least once to make sure all soap and anything else that is in there gets out. Works great.
CR13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:38 AM   #4

Not having a problem just figured it needed to be cleaned once in a while. Like the idea of back flush thanks.
ronny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:22 PM   #5

Happy Camper will do the job. Make sure sewer hookup is properly attached. Empty and close the grey tank. Mix an ounce (70 cents) of Happy Camper into a gallon of water. Drain mix into grey tank. Finish filling the tank with fresh water until you see it coming up over the shower drain. Let it sit overnight, then empty in the morning. This will also clean any debris off from the top of the tanks.
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 04:58 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Dawn Liquid detergent ... un believable ... a lot of rvers have said try it ...it wont hurt or bleed and if the clean is cleaner ---inexpensive.. just like g-mas remedy
dceramic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:31 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Oh for pete sake. It is a HOLDING TANK. It holds grey water (kitchen sink, shower, sinks) until you dump. It will always be 'dirty', so just dump it, use plenty of water, try to keep large food particles out, and throw some baking soda down the drains once a month or so. That's all you need to do. You don't need to spend money on chemicals for either holding tank, just put extra water in so they are 2/3 or more full before dumping and then dump!

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:45 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
I use one cup of Calgon water softner,a litte bleach and a couple of squirts of Dawn dish soap. Put this in a 5 gallon bucket to disolve the calgon, put in each tank before I leave to go camping.With the movement of the coach, this will clean out your tanks. After camping I drain and flush the tanks, then add the calgon, bleach and dish soap again, Leave that there till the next time. No more smells, also it cleaned the tank sensors.
rsw1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:01 PM   #9

Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaraok View Post
Oh for pete sake. It is a HOLDING TANK. It holds grey water (kitchen sink, shower, sinks) until you dump. It will always be 'dirty', so just dump it, use plenty of water, try to keep large food particles out, and throw some baking soda down the drains once a month or so. That's all you need to do. You don't need to spend money on chemicals for either holding tank, just put extra water in so they are 2/3 or more full before dumping and then dump!

Barb
I couldn't agree more!

Dumping chemicals in the tanks just ends up in the sewer system and then ends up killing the useful bacteria at the treatment plant.
Use it, dump it, and rinse it out. It's really that easy.
Phobos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:14 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaraok View Post

Barb
Totally disagree! Over time the grease from dishes and your body will build up and slow the drains. I use Dawn dish washing detergent about once a month. Empty the tank, add 10 gallons or so of water, add 1/2 cup or so of Dawn and then drive. When you arrive at your next dump station, empty the tank or tanks and you are good to go.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:27 PM   #11

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Been RV'ing since before RV's had holding tanks or even toilets plumbed inside. Have NEVER washed or flushed a grey tank, nor have I ever had an odor problem from one. I do make sure my tanks are fairly full before dumping and dump the black then the grey.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:28 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
Totally disagree! Over time the grease from dishes and your body will build up and slow the drains. I use Dawn dish washing detergent about once a month. Empty the tank, add 10 gallons or so of water, add 1/2 cup or so of Dawn and then drive. When you arrive at your next dump station, empty the tank or tanks and you are good to go.

Why don't you use Dawn all the time when you wash dishes? Then you just drive with a few gallons in the tank. Should do the same thing.
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:31 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
My wife still uses our washer/dryer to do a couple of loads of clothes, when she does I close the valve and let the grey tank fill with water and soap, I dump like normal.
It keeps the tank clean, sometimes if I remember I put some Dawn down the sink and shower just before going to bed with an equal amount of water,(I want it to stay in the goose neck under the sink overnight)
Larry & Rita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:32 AM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
Since we have an on board w/d, we constantly have soapy water entering the tank. Second, I don't pour grease down the drain, but if you are worried about it, a big pot of boiling water draining off the spaghetti is always good for cleaning out the line from the kitchen to the tank. Boiling water down the bathroom sink if it is running slow.

Of course what do I know, we're only on our 8th year of fulltiming. Maybe part of the problem people see is they don't use their coaches ENOUGH!

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank