Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2010, 07:04 PM   #1
sip

Winnebago Owners Club
Clear Coat question

Winnabago in their service tips recomended the use of Maquiars M8132 silacone free polish for clear coat. I contacted Mequiars today and they indicated that they stopped producing this polish about 3 months ago. Any suggestions for a replacement?
sip is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2010, 07:20 PM   #2

Any good carnuba wax will do just fine.
lllkrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 07:40 PM   #3
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
From Winnebago Service Tips:
==============
Quote:
After the 60-day cure cycle (RV must experience temperatures higher than 60° for 60 days), we recommend a silicone free polish such as Meguiars M8132 Hand Polish or Machine Polish with an orbital machine and terry cloth applicator.

Liquid waxes are easier to apply and bring a gloss with fewer residues.

Please avoid paste waxes. They sometimes have fillers and additives that give a very short- term result. Stay away from silicones in polishes and soaps.

If you want to use a paste wax, please wait two years so that the paint finish is completely cured. When applying a paste wax for the third time, it is in your best interest to clean off the excess deteriorated wax with mineral spirits and a micro fiber towel to avoid heavy scratches in the clearcoat.

Since buffing compounds remove some of the film of the clear, we recommend that only very experienced users or professionals apply this product.

Bug removal – Rinse with water and let soften. Use soap and water to wash the remainder and rinse (may want to repeat and leave soap on longer than normal to help with penetration). For more stubborn areas use an ammonia-based glass cleaner followed by a warm soapy water wash and a rinse. Remember to use micro fiber towels during this process to help avoid scratches. If this does not work, as a last resort, use a produce like Bug-B-Gone in a shady area and follow the directions on the label.
Unquote

Notice some "don'ts" in there.

Maybe Mequiars can recommend a substitute that has the same qualities as what is referenced above.

Happy trails.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 02:31 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
I have been using Envy (formerly No Wet) for years and am very happy with its ease of application, protection and durability. PM me if you need more info on this.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 06:03 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
What paint (clear coat) does Winnebago use? I've used PPG, DuPont and Sherwin-Williams and never heard of all these requirements. Have you ever seen a car manufacturer tell you to not wax for months or use paste wax for two years? Granted, each time you wax two things happen...you remove the oxidized clear and you will remove some of the clear.

Use any high quality polish/wax and you will be fine. And if you find the paint has has not cured in two years then I would question Winnebago about their painting techniques beginning with "are you using hardener when you mix the paint"?
Old 04-06-2010, 06:24 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sip View Post
Winnabago in their service tips recomended the use of Maquiars M8132 silacone free polish for clear coat. I contacted Mequiars today and they indicated that they stopped producing this polish about 3 months ago. Any suggestions for a replacement?
Sip,

I had my 2007 Diplomat cut & buffed and I use Meguiars Deep Crystal liquid Carnuba step #3. It is pure Carnuba wax with no cleaners or polishes and works great.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:58 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhartjim View Post
What paint (clear coat) does Winnebago use? I've used PPG, DuPont and Sherwin-Williams and never heard of all these requirements. Have you ever seen a car manufacturer tell you to not wax for months or use paste wax for two years? Granted, each time you wax two things happen...you remove the oxidized clear and you will remove some of the clear.

Use any high quality polish/wax and you will be fine. And if you find the paint has has not cured in two years then I would question Winnebago about their painting techniques beginning with "are you using hardener when you mix the paint"?
Sounds like their painting process does not include a period of sufficient heat to bake the finish and enhance curing. Maybe they just let it air dry. It is my understanding that, while modern clear coats are designed to be baked or air dried, baking is the preferred method.

Another vote here for No Wet/Envy. Easy to use, includes wax, and leaves a nice shine.
Old 04-06-2010, 02:32 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
You guys know Carnuba is a natural wax added often added to bees wax that although dries hard, it melts like butter in the sun. Carnauba, also called Brazil wax and palm wax, is a wax of the leaves of the palm. Though too brittle to be used by itself, carnauba wax is often combined with other waxes (principally beeswax).

If you live in a sunny place, UV will melt the bees wax very quickly.

The very best carnauba-based car wax is only about 1/3 natural carnauba. It’s probably for the best since the price gets higher and higher as the concentration of carnauba rises. When a product advertises “pure carnauba car wax” or “100% carnauba car wax”, they are referring to the purity of the carnauba that is in the product, not the product as a whole

After spending exhaustive waxing, you'll lose 50-75% within the first 30 days. Not worth it. There are polishes that will outlast and are easy to apply.
Liquid Glass Total Appearance System Products from ShopMPT.com

OK OK OK .... Everyone has their favorite..

Want something that is cheap, easy to get, easy to apply, etc, great and lasts a long time? (Wal*Mart)
Try this for large RV surface areas.
Meguiar's Direct - Car Care Products: Car Waxes to Leather Cleaners, Meguiar's the Leader in Car and Surface Care since 1901

Easy Apply
Meguiar's Direct Ultimate Quik Wax

Then go over with:
Meguiar's Direct Quik Detailer® -

I have been using the above for several years on a Gel Coat Full Paint MH and Autos.
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 07:28 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

All modern automotive finishes are clear coated, so most all "car wax" products are clear coat safe. Just don't use the ones designated for oxidation removal unless you really need to polish off oxidation, cause they will often scratch a shiny surface.

While it is always a good idea to let paint cure well before doing any real polishing, I think Winnebago went overboard on this one!
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote