Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-01-2013, 04:49 PM   #1

Marker lights stay on til disconnect coach batteries or remove fuse on coach panel

We have a 2000 Coachmen Class C. Yesterday when parked and everything turned off, I noticed all the marker lights and tail lights still on, not the front park lights. Removed and unplugged (ford) dash light switch- lights still on. Disconnected the engine battery, lights still on. Turned off breakers in coach, lights still on. Disconnected coach batteries and the lights went off. Reconnected coach batteries and lights came back on. Removed on of the side marker lights and lights went off. Replaced marker bulb and all lights stayed off. Today drove 3 miles, turned everything off and all marker and tail lights stayed on. Removed side marker bulb , all other marker and tail stayed on. Disconnected coach battery and lights went of, lights came on when reconnect coach battery. Disconnected coach battery and turned on dash light switch and ALL lights work. Seems like marker and tail lights are getting power from coach battery when dash switch is off and gets power from engine battery when coach battery is disconnected. Marker and tail lights are suppose to be powered by engine battery. Also found that power is coming through #3 fuse on coach fuse panel, even when main breakers are off. #3 fuse is for rear bedroom dome lights and when fuse is removed, all marker and tail lights go off. Any suggestions???

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2013, 05:06 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I had this prob on an old class A. It was the photo eye for the, auto headlight on system. The fix was WAY to expensive so I cut the elec wires to the eye, wired the ends together and used the headlight switch when I needed lights.

Old 04-01-2013, 07:56 PM   #3

Had the same problem last year with our 1999 Majestic Class C on a Ford E450 chassis. After a long day of driving in the rain where I had been using the full lighting system, I discovered that all the marker lights remained on even though the headlight switch was in the off position and the key was not in the ignition. Switching the headlight switch on and off had no effect on the marker lights. In my case the solution was to restart the vehicle, turn the headlights on and then off before switching off the ignition which cleared the problem.
I suspect the charge relay which switches the alternator output between the house and chassis batteries was stuck, possibly triggered by turning off the ignition before turning off the lights which then caused the house battery to backfeed to the chassis lighting system. Restarting the engine likely re-energized the charge relay and cleared the condition. Although the house battery was somewhat drained by the time I discovered the problem (interior lights were very dim) , the chassis battery was fine and able to start the engine without problem.
The problem has not recurred since then.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:37 PM   #4

Thanks Kidz Driver. Sounds very close to same issue. It has been raining here but I have not turned lights on but I have thought there might be some relay somewhere not closing. I will try running engine, turn headlights on and then off and stop engine. Right now I have the third fuse on coach bank pulled to keep marker lights off (no bedroom dome lights)Thanks
Old 04-01-2013, 09:48 PM   #5

How does one find out where the relay switch is located?
Old 04-04-2013, 06:13 PM   #6

DieselOne

I had that "type" of problem with my 99 Gulf Stream. Turned out to be feed-back from a bad isolation diode in the Alternator causing the light relay to stay on until batteries were switch off. The relays for all the lighting system on my unit is in the compartment directly below the driver. Some MH have a labeled diagram to tell which relay does what on the cover lid. It may take some hunting. Hope this helps.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:01 PM   #7

Thanks for information on relay. Would this relay be the one that separates or isolates the coach batteries from the engine battery. Next to the coach battery box is a set of cables that attach to a large relay about 1.5 inches tall and 1 inch in diameter with, I think, 2 post on it--would this be the relay you are talking about?
Old 04-05-2013, 08:06 AM   #8

On our Majestic Class C, there are not any battery boost or emergency start switches so the only intended connection between the chassis electrical system and the house system is the charge (isolation) relay which is located in the engine compartment on the firewall. It is about 1 1/2" in diameter and 2" tall. It is easiest to identify by the two heavy gauge red(+) cables bolted to its posts, one of which runs back to the house battery. At the time this problem occurred, I purchased a battery cut-off switch to insert between the relay and the house battery however as the problem did not recur I never got around to installing it.

Tracking down these problems is usually a process of elimination. To rule out the possibility of an unintended connection between the house and chassis electrical systems I would first disconnect both house and chassis batteries and then disconnect the cable which feeds the house battery at the relay taking care to insulate it from contacting anything. Once isolated I would reconnect the house battery and check the marker lights. If they are off the problem is most likely the relay. If they are still on your problem may be a short between the house wiring and the chassis wiring. Since you have identified a house fuse which turns the lights off I would concentrate on that circuit. While undertaking a total roof rebuild I observed that the manufacturer did not use any wire management practices, they were loose in the walls, ceilings and cross members, usually without grommets when going through metal. I discovered several wires in the wiring chase along the ceiling which had been pierced by nails fired from a nail gun when they installed the chase.

Good luck.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:30 AM   #9

Clearence lights stay on

The relay I found that worked the clearence light system is about 3/4" square and 3/4" tall with a plastic cover, It has 4 Terminals. It is in a service box that contains several similar relays. That relay was live after engine shut off because of a defective isolation diode INSIDE the Leece Neville Alternator. The cure for that problem was to install a new Delco alternator. It looks like you're getting some great advice from others and this may not be the same problem you have. Keep looking and good luck.

Tags
batteries, fuse, lights