Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2016, 04:39 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHB View Post
Ok can you put one of these new CO/Combustible gas alarms in the RV about 2ft off the ground?
every device is to be installed in accordance with the manufacturer cut sheet. If the product instructions indicate to do so then yes that is acceptable. By the word "ground" I assume you mean "floor". If you are referencing a consumer device IE Kidde specifically Plug-In Combination Explosive Gas/Carbon Monoxide Alarm Detector with Battery Back-up. the answer is yes. it plugs into the typical outlet.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2016, 06:52 AM   #16

Quote:
Ok can you put one of these new CO/Combustible gas alarms in the RV about 2ft off the ground?
TCHB
You can put them wherever you want... but to be most effective at detecting propane gas they should be installed as close to the floor as possible.... (and in the area where the propane fired appliances are located/used).

Old 01-27-2016, 07:29 AM   #17

Have you actually checked for a leak ?

Buy one of these, install it between the tank and regulator, turn on the gas, turn off the gas, watch the needle. If it drops in a few minutes you have a leak.
Attached Images

Old 01-27-2016, 05:33 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
TCHB
You can put them wherever you want... but to be most effective at detecting propane gas they should be installed as close to the floor as possible.... (and in the area where the propane fired appliances are located/used).
You can not put them where ever you want. there are many conditions for maximum performance or lack there off. Mounting the CO and Gas alarm should depend on the type of explosive gas you intend to detect. As I stated previously you should follow the Manufacturers instructions for every device.

If you are a user of natural gas, mount your CO and Gas alarm high on the wall (no closer than six inches from the ceiling) to ensure the earliest opportunity to detect a natural gas leak.

If you are a user of propane, mount your CO and Gas alarm near
the floor to ensure the earliest opportunity to detect a propane

Improper location can affect the sensitive electronic components
in any alarm detection device. To avoid causing damage to the unit, to provide optimum performance, and to prevent unnecessary nuisance alarms:
• Do not install in kitchens, garages or furnace rooms that may expose
the sensor to substances that could damage or contaminate it. this could also include such thing as air sprays and other gas propelled cleaning spray containers.
• Do not install in areas where the temperature is colder than 40F
(4.4C) or hotter than 100F (37.8C) such as crawl spaces, attics,
porches and garages and consider your MH as an outside place where the product may not perform when freezing or when closed up baking in the sun.
• Do not install within 5 ft. of heating or cooking appliances. (many manufacturers recommend 15 ft. to prevent nuisance alarms).
• Do not install near vents, flues, chimneys or any forced/unforced air
ventilation openings. especially confined spaces and spaces like the ceiling of the MH present an obstacle to placement with both air conditioning vents and powered fan vents.
• Do not install near ceiling vent fans, doors, windows or areas directly exposed to the weather. Again consider all the options in your MH.
• Do not install in dead air spaces, such as peaks of vaulted ceilings or
gabled roofs, where CO or gas may not reach the sensor in time to
provide early warning. Consider in your MH the closed spaces between the sleeping area and main saloon with any type of door closed between those locations indicate needing multiple devices.
• Do not install this unit near deep-cell large batteries. Large batteries
have emissions that can cause the alarm to perform at less than optimum
performance. Also these gas are corrosive and will affect the electronics.
• Do not obstruct the vents located on the alarm. Do not place the
alarm where drapes, furniture or other objects block the flow of air to
the vents. This is not much of a problem in a MH but could be.
• Do not install 117 VAC battery backed units on a switched or dimmer-controlled outlet. Only will affect those MH which have certain outlets off when using the inverter if they have special wired outlet off the inverter.
Old 01-27-2016, 06:01 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
I cannot believe the amount of misinformation that has been posted on this thread by some individuals.

There is only one poster that I would trust as he is a professional, ladagobago.

I have two OEM detectors in my RV. They are not plugged into any outlet but driven by 12 VDC through a fuse panel from my chassis battery. One is a LPG detector located on the kick-panel in the kitchen across from the fridge. I have a 10 year battery Smoke detector on the ceiling in front of the fridge. I have a CO detector in my bedroom located in the bottom of a overhead cabinet.

The first set of detectors, LPG and CO lasted over 10 years before the CO one started its EOL alram. I then replaced both of them. The new LPG alarm only lasted between 2-3 years before it started to false alarm constantly. I just recently replaced it with a new one.

I have 10 year battery Smoke alarms in my electrical bay compartment, my battery compartment and my Inverter compartment.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 01-27-2016, 06:47 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
TCHB
Let me rephrase that.

TCHB
If you buy a propane gas alarm you can put it wherever you want.... (because if you bought it, it belongs to you).

However "wherever you want to put it" may or may not meet the conditions required for maximum performance of your propane alarm).

BTW...IMO propane gas alarms should be installed as close to the floor as possible.... (and in the area where the propane fired appliances are located/used).

Mel
'96 Safari. (with 1 propane, 2 smoke and 2 CO alarms)
Old 01-27-2016, 09:48 PM   #21

The confusing thing is that the new combustible gas alarms are for both natural gas, propane and CO.

I will buy a Kidde and read the instructions. I want it to be powered by a separate 9 volt battery independent from the house batteries.
Old 01-27-2016, 10:12 PM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
TCHB,
I had the same problem with the 2011 Damon Daybreak.It would go off in the middle of the night, in the morning,and evening.I purchased a new one and it was doing the same thing so I had the lp tank checked for leaks with no success so I checked the batteries under the steps and I don't know for sure but, I believe that was the problem.I traded MH so I told the dealer about it and I don't know who purchased it.It was not doing it when I traded.Good Luck and Safe Travels.
papaw.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 04:28 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
The confusing thing is that the new combustible gas alarms are for both natural gas, propane and CO.

I will buy a Kidde and read the instructions. I want it to be powered by a separate 9 volt battery independent from the house batteries.
I am not sure how or why you would power off the house batteries. Most consumer detectors today that you might buy from a big box store are self contained battery packs. these are complete systems which in fact monitor the voltage and current of the internal, often replaceable, battery.

As far as you being confused - IF YOU READ my previous post it fully explained how to use the device. THAT was the kidde instruction sheet.

Since this tread has reached it end now has reverted to by some with conjecture and "IMHO" rather than facts and since this subject is a "Life Safety" issue, I will only respond to PM on the subject.
Old 01-28-2016, 05:27 AM   #24

My 10 year smoke alarm on the kitchen ceiling above the fridge lasted 12 months. It started with random alarms once a week or so which could be silenced with the button. Then they became more difficult to silence. Finally, it just would not quit and I had to break the plastic tab and slide the switch on the back to OFF. The manufacturer is sending a replacement.

I am assuming it is just a unit failure, but also wondering if something in its environment contributed to its demise, such as storage over the summer in the Arizona heat.
Old 01-28-2016, 08:56 AM   #25

I tired of changing batteries so I bought the Kidde CO detector with a ten year Li ion battery. Works well and has a display so if the alarm goes off you can read what the concentration is. Now to get one for fire detection. Question for ladagoago, if the detector is only good for 5 or 6 years, why does the mfg say its good for 10???
Old 01-28-2016, 04:34 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by powderman View Post
I tired of changing batteries so I bought the Kidde CO detector with a ten year Li ion battery. Works well and has a display so if the alarm goes off you can read what the concentration is. Now to get one for fire detection. Question for ladagoago, if the detector is only good for 5 or 6 years, why does the mfg say its good for 10???
I guess you didn't read my post either. I will only answer PM. you failed to specify with one says ten years.
If you did read it it also said
As I stated previously you should follow the Manufacturers instructions for every device.
Old 01-28-2016, 05:02 PM   #27

Since it looks like there is no answer to my question coming, for anyone interrested the model # for the detector is C3010D. It comes with a 10 year sealed Li ion battery. I am on my second year and quite pleased with it so far. Even if I were to get less than that number I still like not having to deal with chirping batteries anymore.😁😁
Old 01-29-2016, 06:18 AM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
powderman Since it looks like there is no answer to my question coming
AS I indicated - I can only respond to a specific question on a product by PM (personal Message). I can respond to any specific CODE SUBJECT on an open forum because that is what I do for a living- interpret NFPA and IBC code. Only my customers get subjective personal review of products in writing because they pay for my service. I design systems.

I don't know why you can not respect my position on these matters. If I just blat out some statement on this forum which is not interpreted the way it was intended - and there is injury - well I have a licence to protect. there are certain product manufacturer which I will not offer to my customers or comment on.

I always have added the caveat - READ THE MANUFACTURERS INSTRUCTIONS, every safety item goes through rigorous testing and still there may be problems with the product in the end. I do not need lawsuits. had one - not fun.

My company has installed 10 of thousands of life safety products only to have some recalled. some after many years of service. the manufactures have never contacted me personally to advise of a recall. I generally find out well after the fact. see a SMALL list below. With that in mind- please understand why I will not comment on a specific product items.

Honeywell Fire Systems BG-10 Series Pull Station Operation

System Sensor Recalls Combination Carbon Monoxide and Smoke Detectors Due to Carbon Monoxide Hazard

ESL, Interlogix Hard-Wired Smoke Alarms Recalled Due to Failure to Alert Consumers of a Fire
This recall involves thirty-three models of the 400 and 500 series Edwards (ESL)-branded and Interlogix smoke detectors

Kidde Disposable Plastic Fire Extinguishers
Recall Date: February 12, 2015
Original Sale Dates: August 2013 through November 2014
Press Release #: 15-079
Hazard: A faulty valve component can cause the disposable fire extinguishers not to fully discharge when the lever is repeatedly pressed and released during a fire emergency, posing a risk of injury.
Remedy: Replace
Contact: Kidde toll-free at 855-283-7991 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. ET Monday through Friday, or online at Kidde Fire Safety Products: Shop Smoke Alarms, Carbon Monoxide Detectors, Fire Extinguishers and click on Safety Notice for more information.

Kidde Smoke and Combination Smoke/CO Alarms
Recall Date: September 11, 2014
Original Sale Dates: January 2014 through July 2014
Press Release #: 14-275
Hazard: The alarms could fail to alert consumers of a fire or a CO incident following a power outage.
Remedy: Replace
Contact: Kidde toll-free at 844-553-9011 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. ET Monday through Friday or online at Kidde Fire Safety Products: Shop Smoke Alarms, Carbon Monoxide Detectors, Fire Extinguishers and click on Recalls for more information.

Tags
gas