Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-16-2007, 05:28 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 23
My father has a class B Xplorer, CO detector and Propane detec were going off. Turned off everything. CO level went down to normal. Plugged the main electrical back in the CO started to rise, now at 30. Tested with an independent CO detector (not connected to coach) and confirmed the reading.

Has nothing on, no propane, no furnace, no electrical, just plugged in and the CO level is rising??

Problem with converter box??

No funny smells or anything visibly wrong.
Any help or thoughts are appreciated.

doko
__________________

__________________
doko is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2007, 05:28 PM   #2
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 23
My father has a class B Xplorer, CO detector and Propane detec were going off. Turned off everything. CO level went down to normal. Plugged the main electrical back in the CO started to rise, now at 30. Tested with an independent CO detector (not connected to coach) and confirmed the reading.

Has nothing on, no propane, no furnace, no electrical, just plugged in and the CO level is rising??

Problem with converter box??

No funny smells or anything visibly wrong.
Any help or thoughts are appreciated.

doko
__________________

__________________
doko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 05:38 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Jimmy Jam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 131
What did the propane detector do when everything was turned off? My first instinct would be that you have a propane leak somewhere.

You say the CO was reading 30? That's a very significant amount. Was the vehicle's engine running? THAT could be your source for the CO detector activation.

If you had the reading confirmed by another CO device and still get a high reading as that, check the propane appliance, especially the pilot light. If it is not working properly, that is your likely problem. As far as plugging the electrical main back in, I can not think of what would cause your detector to activate other than being defective, and you say you utilized a seperate detector to confirm your reading, because electricity generates no CO on it's on.

You would be surprised at the number of defective CO monitors that crop up..Sorry that I couldn't help more..
__________________
Jim
Jimmy Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 06:00 PM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 23
With everything off propane detector went off, and has not gone back on since. Propane is off and engine off and the CO detector starts to rise only when main power plugged in. This is confirmed with a separate unit not hard wired to the coach.

Read something about Hydrogen gas from a house battery causing a false reading, could this be the case when the house batteries are charging from the 30amp main power??

TIA
__________________
doko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 04:57 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
fxmclain's Avatar
 
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3
Had a problem with propane monitor, would only go off in the afternoon when weather was hot, finialy found it was a freon leak on the a/c compressor. I did not know these monitors would detect freon. Found the leak when A/C quit
working.
__________________
fxmclain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 01:24 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
 
Gary RVRoamer's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Silver Springs, FL. USA
Posts: 18,060
Could the CO be coming from somewhere near by? Haver you tried driving the rig somewhere else and testing there?

Your CO detector is perhaps powered only when the RV power is on (and the converter running), so you may not get readings until the power is on. CO detectors need continuous power - does your have a battery? Many do not.

I haven't heard of hydrogen gas triggering false CO alarms. And I don't think you would see the rapid rise you are talking about either. Battery outgassing is a slow process and even then the hydrogen combines nicely with oxygen in the air and forms water. Only if there is insufficient oxygen available would something other than H20 form.

CO forms when something is burned or oxidized with insufficient air (oxygen) available. A CO detector works by accumulating the CO on a collector and it is supposed to respond to either a lot of CO at once or small amounts accumulating over time. I don't think the collector is very sensitive to other gasses, but there probably are some compounds that are chemically similar to CO that might fool it.
__________________
Gary Brinck
Former owner of 2004 American Tradition
Home is in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 10:33 AM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 23
Turned out to be attempting to charge dead house batteries. Replaced the batteries and the CO is stable.

thanks,
doko
__________________
doko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 12:29 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
 
Gary RVRoamer's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Silver Springs, FL. USA
Posts: 18,060
Thanks for the feedback, doko. Now we know that battery charging can indeed cause CO levels to rise.
__________________
Gary Brinck
Former owner of 2004 American Tradition
Home is in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 12:38 PM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 23
just so people dont get scared, it is not true Carbon Monoxide making the levels rise, and the gas it is detecting is not harmful to you, but will drive you crazy if not fixed due to false alarms all hours of the night.

doko
__________________

__________________
doko is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LP Detector Outbumn Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum 11 07-12-2008 12:10 PM
LP Detector OldBaldGuy MH-General Discussions & Problems 5 11-26-2006 06:18 PM
LP Detector Geechee Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum 6 10-11-2005 04:49 AM
Gas Detector Colesmeister Fleetwood Products Owner's Forum 4 08-25-2005 11:28 AM
LP Detector Minisprint Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum 3 06-20-2005 11:40 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.