Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2012, 07:46 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Coach A/C not cooling

Our roof A/C had been working okay a couple of weeks ago... Yesterday, not so much. Little to no cooling activity. Went up on the roof today and removed the cover. Compressor & fan were both running. Only thing I noticed was that there is an in-line fitting - I assume where you would recharge the refrigerant - and the tubing leading away from it on one side was wet with lubricant for about 10".

So, I'm wondering if maybe this inline fitting isn't making a good seal with the tubing it's clamping around and has leaked out enough refrigerant to not allow proper cooling.

Can these things be recharged at home, or does it require special equipment? If the former is possible, I might try to investigate the suspect fitting & then try recharging... Otherwise, I guess it's off to the shop she goes!

Thanks in advance for any advice!

2000 Jayco 3230K Designer
Steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2012, 08:34 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Normally RV units do not have a tap for adding refrigerant unless it was added. If you have a saddle or clamp type fitting, it is guaranteed to leak. You will need to get a technician to solder in a Schrader fitting and recharge the unit.

Ken

Old 07-08-2012, 08:57 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks Ken. Why am I not surprised? Guess I've some phone calls to make tomorrow...

Old 07-10-2012, 11:05 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
An update... I did a bunch of research yesterday. I found someone who was willing to recharge the system for $160 or solder in a proper valve for more - but it would have been more than half the cost of a new unit. I decided that the risk was too high that I'd put a bunch of money into fixing this issue & then have something else go bad on this 12-year-old unit. So, I've opted to buy a complete new roof unit instead.

My 2000 Jayco came with a Coleman model 8335-8915. The unit was made by Recreational Vehicle Products / AirExcel. After some research online, I believe it's a 15,000 BTU model and has been replaced by a Coleman 48204 Mach 15. The specs on the 48204 are almost identical, and that's what I've ordered to replace mine - hopefully it will be a straightforward "bolt-in" (more like grunt-in) and should be able to re-use the old interior ceiling unit.

I'll try to post an update after my installation adventure. I expect the worst part to be dealing with the heavy awkward units & getting them on & off the roof. Our house has a deck over part of the driveway that is approximately at roof height. I think I'll try to cozy the Jayco up to the deck so that we can pass the A/C units back & forth and not have to deal with ladder gymnastics. We shall see...

Old 07-10-2012, 11:33 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LAst A/C I change out on our trailer...I did by myself in a bit ove ran hour. I backed the truck up to the garage which is next to the trailer. I left the A/C on the shipping skid and got a rope around the unit, put a couple of LOOOOng 2 x 4 boards from the back of the truck up to the garage roof. Using the rope, I pulled the A/C up the ramp to the roof. Protected the shingles with some cardboard and slid the unit over to where the A/C belonged on the trialer. Put the 2x4's from the garage roof to the trailer with some ply wood to protect the roof. Slide the old A/C aside and just dumped it off the roof. Slide the new A/C along side the hole, rooled it up on its side and installed the gasket and lowered over the hole. Went inside and centered the A/C over the hole, installed the inside clamping plate and bolts, installed the wires, and interior trim..

The A/C is not so heavy, but it is bulky. If you can get some help getting it up on the roof, it is not such a bad job.

Ken
Old 07-10-2012, 10:06 PM   #6

I too have a question about my Ac, on my 2006 discovery my front Ac is working it not getting cold enought it keeps the couch cool but not cold I checked the temperature and it only blows 53 degrees, and sometimes it freezes up and I get a little water dripping in the inside, I think it's low on freon or else it would not freeze, what do you guys think? Thanks joe
Old 07-11-2012, 05:05 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
LAst A/C I change out on our trailer...I did by myself in a bit ove ran hour. I backed the truck up to the garage which is next to the trailer. I left the A/C on the shipping skid and got a rope around the unit, put a couple of LOOOOng 2 x 4 boards from the back of the truck up to the garage roof. Using the rope, I pulled the A/C up the ramp to the roof. Protected the shingles with some cardboard and slid the unit over to where the A/C belonged on the trialer. Put the 2x4's from the garage roof to the trailer with some ply wood to protect the roof. Slide the old A/C aside and just dumped it off the roof. Slide the new A/C along side the hole, rooled it up on its side and installed the gasket and lowered over the hole. Went inside and centered the A/C over the hole, installed the inside clamping plate and bolts, installed the wires, and interior trim..

The A/C is not so heavy, but it is bulky. If you can get some help getting it up on the roof, it is not such a bad job.

Ken
Ken,
Would have loved to have been a fly on your shoulder watching/listening to above
Hal
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:11 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hal, there were a few 4-letter words said and a few beers AFTER the work was done and it was blowing cold air.

Ninos, first thing to check is that you have good air flow. Low air flow will cause a freeze up. A lot of less technical people immediately go to low refrigerant which is generally not the case on a roof-top unit.

Clean the air filter (should be clean about every 14 days of use), check that the evaporator coil (inside coil) is clean and also check that the unit is bypassing air internall due to leaks or missing foam seals between the inlet and outlet air sides.

As for the water dripping, it could be a plugged coil drain or a leaking gasket between the unit and the roof. With the inside cover off, there are 4 bolts that clamp the unti to the roof. Tighten each one one turn and them maybe a second turn. If you have to tighten any more, you need to replace the gasket. DO NOT use caulk on the A/C gasket.

Ken
Old 07-11-2012, 08:36 AM   #9

Thanks for the reply I have done all of the above the filters are clean I made the four bolts tighter and the coil is clean, all this being done that's why I think that I'm low on refrigerant. What do you think? Joe
Old 07-11-2012, 12:09 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If there is an inline fitting odds are it has been recharged in the past...

However while you were up on the roof,, Did you pull the cover off the condenser coils (inner cover) and clean them? I have done that to mine a few times, Makes it work way, way, way better.

Tags
cooling