Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2006, 11:55 AM   #1

having just checked my batteries, for the first time in two months, i found that one battery's acid has turned to a solid. any help in identifying the cause would be appreciated greatly.
thanx, terry
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2006, 11:55 AM   #2

having just checked my batteries, for the first time in two months, i found that one battery's acid has turned to a solid. any help in identifying the cause would be appreciated greatly.
thanx, terry
Old 08-06-2006, 05:12 PM   #3

Terry
The problem is that the battery water level should be checked more often.In the normal heat of summer and if you have the shore power connected this is what will happen.I have a reminder set in my computer to tell me to check them within a 30 day period.I also installed the Flo-Rite Quick Fill tops which work great.
Its time for new batteries for your motorhome.
Ed Gardiser
Escondido,Ca.
04 Vectra
87 Nissan PickUp
FMCA
Ed Gardiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 02:13 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Ed's correct in keeping the water checked. But since your coach is only a year old it would seem you might have other problems. Like the converter/charger over-charging the batteries. These converters aren't the best for keeping batteries charged, especially if you keep it plugged in all the time. Also check the date of manufacture on the batteries. Although your motorhome is a 2005, the batteries could be older.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 04:09 AM   #5

Terry, Being an old car enthusiast and an RVer, I've had lots of issues with batteries, but I have never heard of liquid turning solid. In my old car clubs as well as RV clubs, batteries are a popular topic. I would contact the battery manufacturer and see what they say about the acid turning solid. I would be interested in their response to this problem.
Ragman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 01:57 PM   #6

If the acid level is below the plates one could mistake the plates for solid acid.
Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 03:41 PM   #7

just a quick reply to the batteries. after discussions with several battery dealers and mechanics, i have been told that the cementitious solid at the top of the one battery is from the plates having turned loose of their coating and then being charged continuously and virtually being "cooked". i do not keep the rv on shore power except when preparing to go on an outing or doing maintenance, so the conclusion is to have the charging system examined. my local interstate dealer is going to try to get me a replacement but no promises. funny how it only affected one and that the other is fine so far as load testing shows. thanks for the responses and enjoy the camping. terry