Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2009, 12:13 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
coach batteries

I will have to replace my coach batteries this year.

I have two 12 volt Interstate Batteries in there right now.

I was wondering if there are any other type of battery I should be checking out before I replace with Interstate.

I look forward for some replies
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2009, 02:19 PM   #2

Angry

Hi Minisprint

I just did that today (partially, I'll explain)

Extended drycamping with heavy battery use where it/they discharge to as low as 80% require flooded cell deep cycle batteries. If the battery or advert mentions cranking or CCA or anything like that, walk away. Diehard drycampters seem to like Trojans or similar. Others go cheaper such as those sold at Sams Club as golf cart batteries. The claim is that they are deep cycle, but are probably a hybrid. I bought one 6v ($74 total) to pair up with the remaining half of a pair of 7 month old Workaholic batteries, which have a claim of Deep cycle, but again probably not true. The deep cycle batteries have 6 month warranties (so I was told), the Energizer GC-2 at Sams has one year, plus tow years additional pro-rated. Go for two 6v batteries in series if your battery box and cables can handle them. My next door neighbor who runs a 40' diesel rig swears by the golf cart batteries, and replaces them about every 4 years. Why wait until they fail at a bad time .

For situations where the batteries do not discharge below 25%, you can probably get away with a sealed starved electrolyte battery such as those sold for cranking.

Most important to the battery life is proper charging. Good luck.
RetPay2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 05:01 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well.. First Interstate is a very good brand, 8-10 years is not uncommon, TROJAN's are somewhat better, but more expensive

Now: Interstate batteries, at least the ones I have, are made by Johnson Controls, Who sells under their "Home" label at Costco, and I THINK (NOTE THINK, I am not sure) they make the Enegzier brand sold at Sam's club.

What I do not know is if Johnson makes a quality range (Like GM who makes both Chevy and Cadillac) I would like to know if there is any J.C. people here who can tell.

Sams and Costco are way less expensive

Rather than a pair of 12 volt batteries you might wish to look at golf car batteries, a pair of six volt, equal to the Interstate U-2200, are roughly equal to a pair of Group 31's capacity wise. and the Golf Car batteries are designed for service not far removed from RV service.

IF access is a problem (I gather it's not or your batteries would have died long ago) you might consider AGM batteries.. Mine are MK, MK, Deka and "Wrecker" brand (Batteries Plus house brand) are made by East Penn battery company

Lifeline AGM's are, well, they are not the "Cadillac" they are the Rolls Royce (Way better than Cadi).. These batteries can take charge rates of up to three times their capacity (most like 1/3 or less)

Of course Like Trojan's.. They cost more
Old 03-27-2009, 06:20 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
John-d
I was wondering if you know what Interstate batteries I should get .
I don't know to much about battery's I usual go to CGs with elec. and do little drycamping .
I went to the interstate web-site and now I am confussed with what battery to get.
I am thinking of this one SC31DM interstate ?????????
I know I am staying with the two 12 volts.

thanks george
Old 03-28-2009, 01:33 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minisprint View Post
I will have to replace my coach batteries this year.

I have two 12 volt Interstate Batteries in there right now.

I was wondering if there are any other type of battery I should be checking out before I replace with Interstate.

I look forward for some replies
i went with 2 LIFELINE AGM BATTERIES from BD batteries in denver on line. i installed 2 gpl-6ct 300ah 6v batteries in series on their sides for clearance in the battery box under the stairs. agm batteries do not vent and can be installed upside down if desired.
i went from 2 12v batts in parallel with less than 200ah capacity to 300ah capacity and never have to add water.
if i do not "deep cycle" them, they should last at least 10 years. deep cycling is discharging the batteries more than half way.
the only downsides are their weight, 90# each and their price.
if i move the starting battery to another location, i could get 2 more gpl-6ct's into my battery box. my moho would be listing to the right bigtime.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 07:48 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

If you aren't camping with shore power much, I wouldn't worry too much about battery capacity. However, the 6v GC batteries will last many, many years (any brand) if you just keep the water level topped up, so they are the most economical in the long run. If you don't want to spend the $$ up front, just get another 12v marine deep cycle and plan on buying new ones every three years. Interstate 6v GC batteries are excellent, but their 12v batteries are no better or worse than many other brands.

Another option is to buy a MinnKota "trolling motor battery", which is a 12v deep cycle available at Walmarts and other discount stores. They too are made by Jonson Controls and are a good quality 12v deep cycle. Will likely cost $99 each, though.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 11:10 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minisprint View Post
John-d
I was wondering if you know what Interstate batteries I should get .
Well.. If you wish to stick with Interstate I'd go with a pair of U-2200's (Golf car batteries) wired in series

Like this

-{batt}+==-{batt}+ (== is wire)

That gives you one 12 volt battery at 232 amp hours, it's Deep Cycle and I happen to be one of those folks who believes that for RV use DEEP cycle is better than Marine/Deep Cycle or starting batteries. I also believe there is a difference.. If you drop by RV.NET and search on the word Antimony you may find some folks who explain the difference, far better than I.

In addition the golf car batteries are designed to be neglected (That is they are designed to be cared for by hired help) so if you are a bit lazy, NO problem
Old 03-28-2009, 11:54 AM   #8

I went with the Trojan J-185H deep cycle 12 volt 215 AH each. They are 18" tall and heavy 115# each. I have 3 giving me 615 AH at 12 v. Normally they are used to run floor machines.
Old 03-28-2009, 04:52 PM   #9

I vote with RV Roamer and John-D. The six volts are a better choice, way better. I made the change to six volts as soon as my 12 volts got weak. You will not regret it, trust us.
Old 03-28-2009, 04:54 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
GEORGE:
check bdbatteries.com. price is now $370 each including shipping for the gpl-6ct.
series hookup: basically you run the hot lead from the first battery to the coach hot battery terminal. the - terminal of the first battery is hooked to the + terminal of the second battery. the - terminal on the second battery goes to ground. on my system, i had 1 battery cable left over after the installation. check dcbatteries.com, or http://www.ccis.com/home/mnemeth/12volt/12volt.htm for a diagram. google battery hookups for more info.
on the old, full service irv2, there was much more information on battery hookups available. i cannot find it now.
irv2 says that i cannot email you per your wishes. if i could email you, i could send you pictures.
DAN L
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 05:20 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thumbs down

I used to use interstate batteries but found that they would not honor their warranties. I have switched to 3, deep cycle 12 Volt, Costco batteries. Cheap and have a great warranty. I do dry camp quite often and using good judgement, have never been left high and dry.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 08:06 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
I used to use interstate batteries but found that they would not honor their warranties. I have switched to 3, deep cycle 12 Volt, Costco batteries. Cheap and have a great warranty. I do dry camp quite often and using good judgement, have never been left high and dry.
Interesting... Interstate golf car batteries are made by Johnson Controls

What does it say on the face of your battery? (Johnson Controls?)

Another argument in favor if six volt golf car batteries I left off above:

$$$$$$$$$$$

Check the relative prices.. NOTE: Costco: Good source but only selected stores carry them.. When I get around to replacing 'em I will very likely visit Costco 1st, and last
Old 03-28-2009, 08:28 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by becks View Post
I vote with RV Roamer and John-D. The six volts are a better choice, way better. I made the change to six volts as soon as my 12 volts got weak. You will not regret it, trust us.
The quality of a battery has nothing to do with it's voltage. Trojan makes excellent 12v deep cycle commercial batteries as it does 6v. It takes two 6v to equal one 12v.

Your choice should depend upon available space and cost per AH. You can fit three 12v batteries with a size 31 footprint where 6 6v would be required.

The J-185H's can't be beat if you have the room. 3 batteries 615 AH.
Old 03-28-2009, 08:58 PM   #14

Regardless of your batt choice, . . .check in your area for a distributor. There are two in OKC (one is an Interstate distributor), both handle blems which I've been using for 30+ years.
I've used both their start batteries and 6V deep cycles, . . .never had a failure and, they carry a 12 month warrenty.
Group 31 start batts are currently running $33.50 with a turn-in core. Deep cycle (blem) 6V's are slightly higher. They don't always have them in stock (they sell out fast) however, they will usually let me know when they come in.