Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2015, 11:02 PM   #15

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
At 12.3 volts your batteries state of charge was around 65% when you started. Two hours of running the generator is not long enough to fully charge the batteries.

1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2015, 11:11 PM   #16

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
2 years shouldn't be too old, our OEM Interstate U-2200's went just short of 10 years, but I added 4 oz of mineral oil to each cell when they were 2 years old. Always kept the fluid level right at the interior level markers.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 11:19 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Your biggest problem was length of charge. It would take 10-12 hours to bring it from 65%.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 12:37 AM   #18
Rkh

Ford Super Duty Owner
have been parked on shore power for several days now. As a test, I shut down the power post and left the coach for 6 hrs. Fridge running and gas furnace cycling. After 6 hours my coach batteries were at 11.85 volts. They started at 12.85

This is not what I should expect if these batteries were healthy, correct?

For review, these batteries were strong right out of winter storage. They ran slides in and out. They started the generator, etc.

As routine maintenance, I topped them off with distilled water to cover the cells completely. They have been like this ever since.
Old 02-06-2015, 01:00 AM   #19

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
Your biggest problem was length of charge. It would take 10-12 hours to bring it from 65%.
Yep, I run our gen set for two hours twice a day and that only brings the batteries to about 80%.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 08:10 PM   #20

I suspect you have a hidden current draw. If you don't have one, rent a DC clamp-on ammeter, clamp it on the positive cable to determine what's happening.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 01:17 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkh View Post
have been parked on shore power for several days now. As a test, I shut down the power post and left the coach for 6 hrs. Fridge running and gas furnace cycling. After 6 hours my coach batteries were at 11.85 volts. They started at 12.85

For review, these batteries were strong right out of winter storage. They ran slides in and out. They started the generator, etc.

As routine maintenance, I topped them off with distilled water to cover the cells completely. They have been like this ever since.

I assume your reading of 12.85 was taken after you shut off the shore power. This is normal.
What was the battery voltage when plugged in? 13.5-13.8?

I also assume you are running a residential fridge and you only have four house batteries? If this is the case, I don't think a drop to 11.85 is out of line. Unless of course you have six house batteries.

The only way to confirm for sure would be to have them load tested. Not trying to talk you out of new batteries but hate to see you toss them if they are OK.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 02-12-2015, 07:28 PM   #22
Rkh

Ford Super Duty Owner
11.85volts is a nearly dead battery. I started at almost 13 volts on TWO interstate 6 volt batteries. Running only the fridge and carbon monoxide units. Also let the furnace fan cycle about 6 times. In only a few hours, the batteries were almost dead.
I replaced them with 2 Excide brand 6 volt deep cycle batteries. Huge, heavy, tall things.
Old 02-12-2015, 09:57 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkh View Post

I think you may be expecting too much from 2 6 volt batteries. You've got a total capacity of about 225 amp hours total and should never draw them down more than 50%. Given that you are most likely not starting from a 100% charge on batteries that have a few deep discharges on them, this may be normal. The RV frig is a power hog on electric. The 12 volt blower on the furnace is a pretty good draw also. Starting the generator may not mean anything. Most coach builders start the generator from the chassis batteries.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 09:57 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
2 batteries is not enough.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 10:04 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
2 batteries is not enough.
x2
I have 8 T105's for the house and 690 watts of solar, it will keep me going for 2 cloudy/wet days. You have 1/4 of that capacity and it will not get you through 1 night............. the voice of experience
Old 02-12-2015, 11:27 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Buy a hydrometer and test each cell.

Wilmar W1653C Professional Battery Tester - Walmart.com
Old 02-13-2015, 11:35 AM   #27

He didn't say he had a residential fridge. Unless he swapped one in, a 2012 36LA has a "normal" RV fridge....

tderonne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 11:15 PM   #28
Rkh

Ford Super Duty Owner
Yeah, absorption fridge uses very little amp hrs. The 12 volt furnace fan uses about 3amp hours. My batteries were as charged as they were ever going to get as I already stated. So, to me, they are FULL. They went dead in a few hours. I have no unwanted draws, no bad connections, I have been all over the place with wrenches and meters.
Couldn't imagine not replacing the batteries, so I did. Now, they last like they are supposed to based on some limited testing.
With the new batteries, after several hours running fridge and furnace, I couldn't measure a decrease in charge.
Appreciate all the input... Done with thread..

Tags
batteries, water