Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2012, 04:18 PM   #1

Coach batteries not charging on shore power

Ell, I thought I had corrected all my 12 v problems...seems the coach batteries are not charging on shore power. They will take a charge from the alternator though. What else do the experts need to know to help me through this one? Thanks!
Jcarn8881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2012, 04:57 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Your converter/charger is not working.

1. Make sure it is plugged into 120v.
2. Make sure that outlet does have 120v, check 120v breakers.
3. Check the converter for any blown fuses.
4. Check output of the converter, should be at least 13.6v if the batteries are weak. If it's 12v or less, then it's probably shot.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:42 PM   #3

How would I check the converter output. All other is good.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:30 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Use a voltmeter to check the voltage at the house batteries with the coach plugged to shore power and engine off. If it is 13.0v or more, our charger is working. If less, it probably is not (or you have some very, very,bad batteries).
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:05 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
On most coaches, there is also a circuit breaker on the output line from the converter. It is usually about a foot from the converter.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:17 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler
On most coaches, there is also a circuit breaker on the output line from the converter. It is usually about a foot from the converter.
X2. As well as some converters have fuses on the unit. I would always check converter output right at the converter when possible. Many originals are hardwired internally which makes this impossible. To me, a volt meter is the most important and most used tool in my kit. Never leave home without it
Old 09-06-2012, 08:14 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
X2 on the fuses.

There are fuses on the converter, check them.

Once you know your converter is putting out approx 13 volts, checked at the converter.
Measure at the coach batteries, should be the same voltage measured at the converter.
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:19 PM   #8

I just put a meter on both coach batteries and one is only reading 11.89 volts. I am going to exchange that one as I just purchased it a couple weeks ago. Should have checked it before installing it. The voltage at the batteries is 12.56 and I have not checked at the converter yet. Will probably work more on it Saturday.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:27 PM   #9

Oh, another issue seems to have developed...when I hit the coach disconnect, the AC shuts down. Thoughts?
Old 09-06-2012, 06:14 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When you are hitting the disconnect, 12VDC control power is being removed from the AC units. JM2¢...
teddyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:34 PM   #11

Recon I am getting a little annoyed with things, another reason to let it all rest tillSaturday.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:42 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcarn8881 View Post
Recon I am getting a little annoyed with things, another reason to let it all rest tillSaturday.
That's never a bad idea! I do it often when my brain gets fried dealing with RV problems.

When you're ready, I would proceed like this. Separate (remove cables) the batteries so they are individuals. The below chart shows both 12 & 6 volt batteries state of charge 12/6

Test the voltage on all the batteries. If they are all right on with each other or very close, then your batteries are good. Of course if your charger hasn't been working, they may be very low. You can always take them to your local battery shop and they will load test them for free. *If* you have a bad battery, you will want to replace them all....and this has been your problem.

If your batteries check out (you can do this test with them disconnected - just be sure the cable ends aren't touching anything) leave the battery disconnect switch connected and plug into shore. Check your converter/charger for any circuit breakers or fuses. Test the voltage at the charger or the next closest place it connects to. You should have in the area of 13.6v. You may want to check it several times over 30 mins or so to be sure it remains constant.

If you have nothing or voltage around 12v or less, it is a bad charger or a bad ground. Disconnect power and follow the ground wires (you may or may not have 2) clean those connections and try again. If you get the same results, you have a bad charger.
Old 09-09-2012, 03:00 PM   #13

In the end.....converter is burnt toast. Thank you for the guidance.
Old 09-09-2012, 03:44 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcarn8881
In the end.....converter is burnt toast. Thank you for the guidance.
Thanks for the update. Have you decided on a replacement yet?