Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-28-2004, 11:20 AM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
In the past 18 years of living in North Texas, I've discovered that my vehicle batteries last 4 years. After that, I'm living on borrowed time with them. Different brands and grades - all with the same result. One battery guy told me that it was our extremes in temperature but I have little faith in his reasoning.

I have a two 12 volt Continental batteries for the coach side of my MH. I know that the water was below the plates at least once on them so I'm anticipating having to replace them soon. I have room for Trojan T015s but will have to modify the battery shelf to mount them. I'm just wondering if I'm not going to run into the same problem with the Trojans that I've had with the vehicle batteries. Yes, I understand that it is a different application and cycle rate than vehicles but it weather is truly the cause, wouldn't it have the same affect.

The Trojans don't cost that much more than the alternatives so I don't mind the investment. I just want to make sure that it is an investment before I start the bracket modifications.

Thoughts?

THanks,

Charlie

chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2004, 11:20 AM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
In the past 18 years of living in North Texas, I've discovered that my vehicle batteries last 4 years. After that, I'm living on borrowed time with them. Different brands and grades - all with the same result. One battery guy told me that it was our extremes in temperature but I have little faith in his reasoning.

I have a two 12 volt Continental batteries for the coach side of my MH. I know that the water was below the plates at least once on them so I'm anticipating having to replace them soon. I have room for Trojan T015s but will have to modify the battery shelf to mount them. I'm just wondering if I'm not going to run into the same problem with the Trojans that I've had with the vehicle batteries. Yes, I understand that it is a different application and cycle rate than vehicles but it weather is truly the cause, wouldn't it have the same affect.

The Trojans don't cost that much more than the alternatives so I don't mind the investment. I just want to make sure that it is an investment before I start the bracket modifications.

Thoughts?

THanks,

Charlie

Old 12-28-2004, 06:07 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Golf cart batteries are much more rugged than automative style batteries, in addition to having physically larger plates than the typical Group 24 or 27 12 volt battery. They are also designed exclusively for deep cycle use rather than cranking. I would expect the T-105's to give you 5-7 years of service. To be assured of getting the 7 year life you should keep the water topped up and avoid discharging them below 50% of capacity.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 06:24 PM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for the recommendation, Gary. I'd be happy to get 5 years out of them here. I'm planning to install a knife switch when I reconfigure for them to make sure that I don't overcharge them. I try to watch the water levels in all my batteries carefully. I've learned the hard way how important that is. We aren't heavy boondockers so I don't expect to drive the batteries down too much.

Because of their weight, I'm going to have the battery shelf reconfigured, too. I need a little more room in a couple of directions and will add some support at the same time.
Old 12-31-2004, 05:47 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Newer rigs are much less likely to overcharge than older ones - the charger units have improved tremendously with the availability of cheap electronics. But watching the water is still #1 on the maintenance list if you have lead-acid batteries.

You might consider sealed batteries - I recommend the AGM type - if you have a consistent water loss problem. Evaporation is a big problem in your Texas climate. AGM's can also endure a lot more charge cycles. See Lifeline AGM Batteries AGM's are available in both 6V Golf Carts (size GC4) and the standard 12V case sizes.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 05:02 PM   #6

To get a four year life from a chassis battery is very near to the average. Chassis batteries usually begine to fail soon after the three year point and seldom see five years. So I would say that you are doing as well as most folks.

I will be quite surprised if your Trojans do not far outlast the chassis battery. As the other post stated, they are a much more durable design and the normal life span is at least five years.
Old 01-14-2005, 08:58 AM   #7

We just passed 127,000 miles and 612 camping nights on ur 1998 Class C with T-105's. I just charged the other day and checked specific gravities, which were all at 1275! In addition, because we boondock so much, about 1/4 of those camping days were with the batteries more than half discharged. As long as we charge up right after the deep discharge (which our road travel does) we have had no problems. I highly recommend them.

Happy Trails

Gus Weber
Old 01-15-2005, 08:54 PM   #8

you did not mention specific gravity? before you discard the batteries check the specific gravity and see if you can bring it up by boiling them for several hours. you may get 2 more years of life if the problem is sulfation.
tom wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 03:50 AM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
Charlie, here in the desert, 2 years in an automobile or truck is the norm. I attribute that to the tremendous heat build-up under the hood. On my last motorhome, the original batteries were still going strong when I traded at 6 years old - batteries were located under the step. Maintaining the proper water level is key.
RedT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 04:35 AM   #10

I also suggest that you look into changing your Converter to an Inteli Power 9100 series with the optional Charge Wizard. This combination will greatly reduce overcharging which boils the liquid and it will minimize Sulphation. Also look into a Battery Minder for the chassis battery.
I made the swap to 4 Golf Cart Batteries and the above modifications last year.

Savannah, GA
Don-Savannah, GA is offline   Reply With Quote