Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2006, 09:46 AM   #1
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
After returning from a recent outting, we parked our motorhome & hooked it up to a/c power at home. Didn't go for another outting for 2 weeks. When I went in to start loading for our next trip (this past weekend), I noticed no 12v lights would come on & the power monitor panel was blank. The generator wouldn't start either. Thinking that a recent storm could've caused a power failure making the a/c breaker trip, I was about to have Dave check the breaker when I noticed the microwave clock was on. That meant I did had a/c power, just no 12v. Dave comes inside & checks the breaker & fuse panel & all is ok. So I walk up to the battery panel & the AUX monitor showed no voltage -- just a blank screen. So I continued to load up with the necessary items; Dave started the motorcoach - which, of course, charges the coach battery - & we went on our way.

The campground we went to had no a/c power (due to the recent storm) when we arrived so we were on the coach battery for nearly 24 hours. The lowest the AUX battery read while we were without a/c power was 11.3v. Eventually a/c power was restored, we hooked up & everything was fine the rest of the trip.

We still have no clue as to what could've drained the coach battery though. Anyone have any thoughts?
L-

Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2006, 09:46 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
After returning from a recent outting, we parked our motorhome & hooked it up to a/c power at home. Didn't go for another outting for 2 weeks. When I went in to start loading for our next trip (this past weekend), I noticed no 12v lights would come on & the power monitor panel was blank. The generator wouldn't start either. Thinking that a recent storm could've caused a power failure making the a/c breaker trip, I was about to have Dave check the breaker when I noticed the microwave clock was on. That meant I did had a/c power, just no 12v. Dave comes inside & checks the breaker & fuse panel & all is ok. So I walk up to the battery panel & the AUX monitor showed no voltage -- just a blank screen. So I continued to load up with the necessary items; Dave started the motorcoach - which, of course, charges the coach battery - & we went on our way.

The campground we went to had no a/c power (due to the recent storm) when we arrived so we were on the coach battery for nearly 24 hours. The lowest the AUX battery read while we were without a/c power was 11.3v. Eventually a/c power was restored, we hooked up & everything was fine the rest of the trip.

We still have no clue as to what could've drained the coach battery though. Anyone have any thoughts?
L-

How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
Old 06-27-2006, 10:01 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Our 12V shut-off is right in the step-well. More than once I have tripped it by accident and it took me half an hour each time to figure out that all I had to do was turn the 12V back on.
Cousin Ed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 10:06 AM   #4
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Thanks Ed. Ours isn't there. Our battery disconnect is above the entry door. Don't think I coulda hit that, although it is next to the slide outs switch. Hmmmm.
L-
Old 06-27-2006, 12:01 PM   #5

On a Fleetwood Bounder you can turn off the aux batteries and the main batteries using the switches over the door way. When the batteries are turned off, the AC will not charge them. All the little things like smoke detector, CO detector, clocks and lights (including the ones in the outside compartments) that get left on will drain your batteries. When you start the engine, the switches automaticlly turn back on. They then will charge the batteries back up.

This could of been what happened to you. I would not worry about it unless it keeps happening.
Old 06-27-2006, 12:36 PM   #6

Did you check to see if the converter was putting out the correct voltage? I worked on a Bounder (98) that had the same problem and it turned out the converter had melted the foil board inside and was not putting out voltage to charge the house batteries.
First plug in a lamp or other a/c appliance into the converter outlet (where it plugs into the coach) to make sure there is power there.
Good Luck

2004 Fleetwood Mallard 33Z
RV4FunFixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 09:23 AM   #7
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Tom & Jo Anne- I can't be positively sure I didn't bump that switch above the door when I last took the slides in, since that switch is right next to the battery disconnect switch. Very well coulda been "operator error" . Although we did have MAIN battery power, just not AUX. We'll see if it happens again.

RV4FunFixer- I'll have Dave check the converter just to be sure. Thanks for the idea to check that.

L-
Old 06-28-2006, 11:15 AM   #8

Dave
Don't know about Bounders but on our rig, aside from a 12V cutoff for the cabin just inside the door, there are two main power switches (big round knobs) in the battery compartment. One is for the starting batteries and the other is for the house batteries. I normally turn both of these off when we get home and park the rig; and I don't run a power cord...
While home I repower the house batteries by running the genny every few weeks and the starting batteries by running the engine (horrors) at 1,000 rpms for 20 - 30 mins. I generally check the batteries water levels during this time.
I suggest you look for a main battery cutoff(s) starting at the batteries themselves and work yourself forward and, last but not least, call Bounder Service and lay out your problem.
I am fairly confident that you have caused the problem unknowingly yourself.... Good luck

P.S. Remember that a "charge" line is good only for charging your house batteries; your starting batteries are normally charged by the running engine.

P.P.S. I think you can install a small solar panel (3x5 inches) to keep your starting batteries charged up - this will avoid charging using your engine..

rayw is offline   Reply With Quote