Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2010, 11:40 AM   #1

coach battery wiring

does anyone have a wiring diagram for a 1994 Safari Sahara coach batteries. we had to replace the coach batteries. my wife wired them together, and switched batteries out. now i cant remember what went where... help!!!!
JDKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2010, 12:26 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDKing View Post
does anyone have a wiring diagram for a 1994 Safari Sahara coach batteries. we had to replace the coach batteries. my wife wired them together, and switched batteries out. now i cant remember what went where... help!!!!
Four coach batteries? Are they all 6 volt batteries or 12 volt batteries? Wiring is pretty standard. let me know.
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 12:28 PM   #3

these are the 2 chassis batteries. 5.9 cummins, dsl.
Old 02-14-2010, 12:39 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
You need to know if they are 6V or 12V batteries.

Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 12:42 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDKing View Post
these are the 2 chassis batteries. 5.9 Cummins, dsl.
OK -- The OP stated coach batteries.

In regard to automotive batteries, 12 volt batteries are going to be connected in parallel.

The red or POSITIVE cables need to be connected to the + sign on both batteries. The black NEGATIVE cables need to be connected to both the "─" sign on both batteries. There may be a short jumper cable that goes in between both batteries. If the cables are long enough, I would connect the positive cable from the Motorhome to one battery and connect the negative cable to the second battery. It shouldn't make too much of a difference but that's how I would do it. Make sure that the hold down straps are clear from the red or + terminals.

This will provide 12 volts to the starter with increased cranking amperes. If there are smaller gauge wires that are not connected those may need to be connected to the positive cable side however there may be smaller cables that might have been connected to the negative side for purposes of grounding as well.

Don't want to preach but the best thing to do before you start a project like this is take a picture before you begin.
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 01:36 PM   #6

got it! she had 1 battery turned around so i was trying to wire them 24v and it wasnt working out... now it runs!!! time to clean her up, and get ready for another road trip!!!

would like to replace the propane genny with a dsl though... big propane tank only last about 40 hrs on 42 gallons, even after a tune up.