Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2017, 07:20 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Coach dual Battery questions

My sunseeker has two batteries under the steps. No brand model 27 mdp. I assume these are 12 volt batteries wired together. I checked the fluid in them today and one had 4 almost dry cells and 2 below full. The other battery was full on all 6 cells. I filled the battery to the top of the holes with distilled water, Later I checked while the coach was plugged in and charging. The battery I previously filled had 4 cells boiling and 2 not boiling. The second battery was fine and still full not boiling.

So I suppose I need at a minimum one new battery. Should I go for another 27 mdp battery? Are there any better options for batteries? I do not think these original batteries provided with my new coach are deep cycle but I am really not sure. Is it best to change both at the same time? I can get a picture if it helps but the top of the battery only says 27 mdp. I need to figure this out this week because I have a trip planned for next week.

Charles L is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2017, 07:26 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
It sounds like the 4 cells are shorted out. Always replace both batteries. The older one one will draw the newer one down. If possible test the battery with a hydrometer.

brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 07:42 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Get two new ones, both deep cycle. You can go with 2 12v units in parallel, which is what you already have, or get two 6 volt golf cart units if you feel comfortable wiring them in series. Most of us go with 6 volt units, but you can stay with the 12's if you feel more comfortable with it. Two 6's will give you slightly more capacity than 2 12's.
Sbrownstein is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 08:30 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
I will probably just go with the two new 12 volt batteries. I don't know if the batteries model 27 mdp are deep cycle. I can assume they are but a quick internet search does not specify deep cycle, only lead/acid. Would it be better to get optima ($$$) deep cycle or any off brand will do?
Thanks for the responses.
Old 09-17-2017, 09:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles L View Post
My sunseeker has two batteries under the steps. No brand model 27 mdp. I assume these are 12 volt batteries wired together. I checked the fluid in them today and one had 4 almost dry cells and 2 below full. The other battery was full on all 6 cells. I filled the battery to the top of the holes with distilled water, Later I checked while the coach was plugged in and charging. The battery I previously filled had 4 cells boiling and 2 not boiling. The second battery was fine and still full not boiling.

So I suppose I need at a minimum one new battery. Should I go for another 27 mdp battery? Are there any better options for batteries? I do not think these original batteries provided with my new coach are deep cycle but I am really not sure. Is it best to change both at the same time? I can get a picture if it helps but the top of the battery only says 27 mdp. I need to figure this out this week because I have a trip planned for next week.
Well Sir,
First off, I don't know what "mdp" is. Second, while the batteries in question are under the steps, normally those might be HOUSE batteries but, you don't say for certain. I guess chassis batteries can be placed under steps, in certain coaches but, not sure.
If those are in fact, your house batteries, yes, by all means, replace BOTH of them. While only one is giving you issues at this PRESENT time, who knows how long before the other one might start acting up, in one way or another. If you camp a lot, or, should I say "Boondock" (no hookups) a lot, then yes, some 6 Volters would give you a bit more extended battery time than the 12V units would.

I've done the 12V to 6V change and, it's worked out great for me. It's not very hard to do and or, re-wire. In fact, as long as you have a bit of slack in the original battery cables that lead to the coach, you'll only need a link cable for the center. One more thing. Once you make the decision to either stay with the 12V boys, or go with the 6Vters, I'd also do a performance check on your charging system which, is nothing more than, a check on the battery voltage WITHOUT any shore power connected, then plug in and observe the voltage difference to see just what your charging system is doing.

That way you're all set in knowing that you've got good, new batteries and, your charging system for those, is in good shape too. Good luck.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 03:41 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes they are the coach batteries. The engine compartment has my other battery. I will look into getting two deep cycle batteries today to replace them both.
Old 09-18-2017, 04:15 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles L View Post
Yes they are the coach batteries. The engine compartment has my other battery. I will look into getting two deep cycle batteries today to replace them both.
Check
Welcome to Mark's Fulltime RV Resource
The 12v side of life.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 10:01 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
There are good 12volt and 6volt deep cycle batteries and the switch to 6volt is one short cable or possibly just use one you have. Budget is one important issue. If you can take batteries in and out you most likely can do the 6volt if you wish. Either way you go get the biggest AH battery that will fit the space and be in budget, you will have more battery power than original you are replacing. As to the Optima are not necessarily the best choice.

LEN
Old 09-18-2017, 10:10 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
There really aren't that many manufacturers, just a lot of brands. Optima are sealed, low maintenance, that is why they are so $$$. Trojan is the industry standard, but you should be able to find 12 v deep cycles everywhere. The bigger the better, get the biggest you can fit and avoid the combination starting and deep cycle units. Go for deep cycle only. Standard or "maintenance free" depending on price and how well you keep after checking the water level.
Sbrownstein is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 10:24 AM   #10

For house battys you cant beat 2 - 6V Golf Cart Battys in series.

Much better than 12V so called "combo starting / deep cycle marine RV battys" They are a compromise and really not the best for either.

Sams Club & Costco both sell 6V GC2 battys for around $85 and they will give you 220 AHr... about the cheapest $/AHr you will find and they will last if taken care of.
Check water monthly - if V is down only add enough to cover plates - charge and then fill to full level - prevents spilling over while charging

For storage a maintainer is the best way to keep battys up if you have power available.

Well cared for GC's will last 7-10 yrs

The switch to series from parallel is easy - you already have 2 jumper cables tieing your + & - terminals together on your 12V batty's

You can either use just one or many double them up and put both from - on one to + on other 6V batty...that way if you ever want / need to switch back you have both jumpers where you need them.

Good luck
Winemaker2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 11:02 AM   #11

"If" they are 12v than disconnect the bad one and see how the other one charges for now.

okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery