Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2016, 08:12 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Coach head lights not bright enough

The headlights on our 2004 Excursions were fogged up badly from inside. The only way to clean them I had to remove the complete assembly and the light bulbs to clean the lenses from inside. I though this would improve the brightness, didn't much. Now I am researching for replacement light bulbs. Like Led Headlight Conversion Kits or something similar to Kensun HID Xenon Conversion Kit "All Bulb Sizes and Colors" with Premium Ballasts - 9006 (HB4) - 6000k.
I know anyone of these options would make some improvements but before moving forward like to know if there are better options if not which one of these options is better choice.
My running lights are 9006-HB4 (low) and 9005-HB3 (hi)
As always thank you all for your help.
Excursion04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2016, 09:36 AM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I had the same problem with both of our coaches. I figured out what auto manufacture they bought them from, and ordered aftermarket lights. I opted for a blacked out look since the original lights were big and clumsy looking. Much better now in the dark. In my case these were from a Ford Econoline van 1997-2006. CARID.com was where they were purchased from.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2581.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	440.5 KB
ID:	141444  
jleamo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 10:11 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Look closely on the headlight assembly for a DOT number. Plug this number into Amazon or E-bay and you can find replacement aftermarket assemblies. Most all manufacturers use off the shelf headlights and just build around them. For example, our '06 Itasca used the headlights from a 97 Ford Windstar van and our current Tiffin uses headlights from a 2006-2012 Chevrolet Silverado pickup. I replaced the ones in our Itasca for about $60 on Amazon.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 07:51 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Lt DAn, did you replace the whole assembly not just the bulbs? The headlights on mine are the same as 1989 BMW 325i are are in pretty good shape after cleaning, except not bright enough. I found replacements on ebay. But I am concerned that I would have the same issues with the replacements as well
Old 10-14-2016, 10:51 AM   #5
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excursion04 View Post
Lt DAn, did you replace the whole assembly not just the bulbs? The headlights on mine are the same as 1989 BMW 325i are are in pretty good shape after cleaning, except not bright enough. I found replacements on ebay. But I am concerned that I would have the same issues with the replacements as well
I replaced the whole assemblies since they were sun fogged. I found that they were brighter than the old ones, but not greatly so. One thing to check is your actual voltage at the headlights with the engine running. I found that with voltage drop through the wiring harness, I was only getting around 11.75 volts with the engine running. I added a couple of relays (one for high beam and one for low) with a direct feed from the fuse block and upped the working voltage at the lights to 13.2, which made the biggest difference. Weak headlights are a common issue with these motor homes and there have been many threads about different ways to help them work better.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 11:13 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

On my '04 American Tradition, the problem was low voltage to the headlamps. Fleetwood (American Coach) rewired mine with shorter and larger wires and there was a noticeable improvement. Check the voltage that actually reaches the light bulb socket - mine was down around 12.1, even with the alternator pumping out 14.4v.
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 11:25 AM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
While at CC in OR they replaced our bulbs with the HID version and polished the lenses. A major improvement on low beam, not much of a change on high. I could not see on low, so this was a big benefit for us. Once you swap out the bulb, consider polishing the lenses. Good luck.
TonySheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 07:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
I replaced the whole assemblies since they were sun fogged. I found that they were brighter than the old ones, but not greatly so. One thing to check is your actual voltage at the headlights with the engine running. I found that with voltage drop through the wiring harness, I was only getting around 11.75 volts with the engine running. I added a couple of relays (one for high beam and one for low) with a direct feed from the fuse block and upped the working voltage at the lights to 13.2, which made the biggest difference. Weak headlights are a common issue with these motor homes and there have been many threads about different ways to help them work better.
This is the first thing I suggest when anyone has issues with headlight brightness issues. Once the proper voltage is either determined or corrected to, then you take the next step in goofing around purchasing other bulbs.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 08:52 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Take a look at this thread

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f65/dim-h...ys-306053.html
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 09:18 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Our 2005 Discovery uses 2000 Ford F250 headlights. I just ordered a set of aftermarket lights that should be significantly brighter.
montyhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 11:06 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by montyhp View Post
Our 2005 Discovery uses 2000 Ford F250 headlights. I just ordered a set of aftermarket lights that should be significantly brighter.
if, IF, your voltage at the headlights is sufficient or, up to par I should say.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 09:17 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
well I think I screwed up! I tried to take a voltage reading with engine running, somehow blew a fuse or something. my headlights hi and low are out. The tail light and side lights are but no headlights. I checked all the fuses under the dashboard. They are all fine. Are there any type of inline fuses for the headlights? Can't figure this one out. This is on 2004 Fleetwood Excursion. HELP
Old 10-15-2016, 09:26 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
My headlight fuse are in the outside compartment on the road side below the drivers window, you might check for another fuse panel outside.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 06:14 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
if, IF, your voltage at the headlights is sufficient or, up to par I should say.
Scott
I'll check when I install the new set.
montyhp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lights