Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2013, 10:08 AM   #1

Coach-Net alarming news

Okay, so maybe I should have read through the contract closer, but here's the thing. A few weeks ago (actually two weeks before our vacation) my wife was involved in an accident in the Jeep where a vehicle passing her in a no-passing zone struck her drivers side while she was making a turn.

She was fine, the Jeep was not. It broke the tie rod and blew out the left front tire (along with other damage).

I arrived on the scene and phoned Coach-Net to get a tow to a local repair shop and get the vehicle out of the road. Coach-Net refused, saying they do not tow in the case of accident, only breakdown. Well, I was kinda broke down in the middle of the road.

They said I had to pay for the tow out of my own pocket, then submit for reimbursement I did not read this anywhere in the documentation and haven't been able to find that on their website.

Just a heads-up. Turns out the shop I was towing the Jeep to, offered to tow the vehicle, then bill the insurance company.

Cricket SW3 Personal Transporter
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2013, 10:14 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
I'm not aware that either of the major roadside assistance plans (CoachNet or Good Sam ERS) cover towing after an accident. That's normally part of your vehicle's insurance coverage.

Rusty

2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:23 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I never thought of the accident angle - this explains why my StateFarm policy includes $100 of towing ; thanks for the info.
P.S. CoachNet did pay to tow my toad out of a ditch once.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:28 AM   #4

Well, in their defense, they did say they would pay if I submitted the bill to them. However, one of my main reasons for having this service was to get myself out of harms way asap.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:42 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Interesting I did not realize that. We have Goodsam ERS and I will have to check my contract.
2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:52 PM   #6

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by topdownman View Post
Okay, so maybe I should have read through the contract closer, but here's the thing. A few weeks ago (actually two weeks before our vacation) my wife was involved in an accident in the Jeep where a vehicle passing her in a no-passing zone struck her drivers side while she was making a turn.

She was fine, the Jeep was not. It broke the tie rod and blew out the left front tire (along with other damage).

I arrived on the scene and phoned Coach-Net to get a tow to a local repair shop and get the vehicle out of the road. Coach-Net refused, saying they do not tow in the case of accident, only breakdown. Well, I was kinda broke down in the middle of the road.

They said I had to pay for the tow out of my own pocket, then submit for reimbursement I did not read this anywhere in the documentation and haven't been able to find that on their website.

Just a heads-up. Turns out the shop I was towing the Jeep to, offered to tow the vehicle, then bill the insurance company.
I'm not really impresses with Coach-net....have had some terrible situations with them..on causing $1200.00 damage after they sent 2 wreckers,one being too small for the job.....wait time is forever with them......not sur GS much better,,,Chuck
chuckster52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:08 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
In an accident situation it is your insurance company who provides the wrecker - you call the insurance company first and they handle getting the wrecker to you. Coach-Net and Good Sam ERS, neither one, will tow in an accident situation.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:20 PM   #8

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Nothing "Alarming" about it. They are a breakdown towing insurance, not intended for accident towing. That's up to you auto insurance. And it's clearly stated in the brochure I have
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:23 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
I'm not aware that either of the major roadside assistance plans (CoachNet or Good Sam ERS) cover towing after an accident. That's normally part of your vehicle's insurance coverage.

Rusty
yep

We have coach net and this past feb we broke down in the f150
since it was not an accident the lady first called ford and they decided to cover the tow, all the while the coachnet person remained on the line and had told us if ford didnt cover it, they would so long as it was not an accident.
my insurance company also was called and they told us the same thing, but arranged for a tow as a back up if the ford guy took longer than 2 hrs to get to us
i was happy happy happy that it worked out well
and especially happy about my insurance company stepping up
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:51 PM   #10

Coach Net will not do recovery towing, like after an accident or getting stuck in a sandy driveway. They're roadside ASSISTANCE, not saviors.

I've had excellent service from them when I've had to use them. The speed of their service depends on local conditions and local availability, as does the quality of the actual roadside service.

When I was stuck in deep sand all by myself beside the Salton Sea in California they would not cover the towing costs, BUT they did arrange everything for me and worked diligently on their end to be sure I was accommodated and safe.

Due to my location, it took 2 hours for assistance to arrive.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:03 AM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Turns out most roadside assistance programs are like that.. AAA for example.. If you blow a head gasket, will tow you to the shop. but if someone with a vanity plate that says 1 D 10 T demonstrates why he got that plate (By smashing your ride) AAA will still send a tow truck, but it's the ACCIDENT insurance that pays for the tow, not the roadside assistance program (They do both and take care of the billing internally).

You need to turn the cost of the tow over to your vehicle insurance company for reimbursement..
Old 07-10-2013, 10:10 AM   #12

This is neither Alarming, nor News for most people. Ed
Quote:
Originally Posted by topdownman View Post

Old 07-10-2013, 10:17 AM   #13

Backed my wifes Explorer off the hill on my driveway and embedded into a tree. Called Coach-Net and the lady said she could send two men out for one hour or one man for two hrs. No problem. I have the Platinum, maybe that's the difference.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:21 AM   #14

I was basing my experience from past experience with AAA. AAA had towed me in the past when I was stuck and also involved in a minor accident and the car wouldn't run. It just wasn't something I expected.