Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2014, 05:46 PM   #15

Age and/or mileage limit

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrys View Post
Coach net is designed for new or near new coaches. The coverage limit is 60,000 miles / 5 years, whichever comes first. They have no option for covering a used vehicle nearing either limit. Other plans such as Good Sam have options for coverage beginning at the current mileage / age of your vehicle.
I respectfully submit that you may have been misinformed. I have, in the past ten minutes, spoken with Anthony, a sales representative at Coach Net. We have recently bought a 2000 Damon Challenger, and he assured me that there is NO age or mileage limit for their coverage. We are opting for the Premier Coach plan.

Regards.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2014, 08:37 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Just read that service plan contract carefully - the salesman makes them sound like they cover every eventuality, but the reality is much less. It ain't no bumper-to-bumper warranty. And you could buy a new fridge for much less.

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 08:51 PM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BevRedmond View Post
I respectfully submit that you may have been misinformed. I have, in the past ten minutes, spoken with Anthony, a sales representative at Coach Net. We have recently bought a 2000 Damon Challenger, and he assured me that there is NO age or mileage limit for their coverage. We are opting for the Premier Coach plan.

Regards.
If you don't mind me asking, did you consider the Ultimate coverage? And if so, can you advise how much additional it would have cost for that coverage?

Do you know if the contract has language similar to the following:

Consequential Damage Coverage
Optional Non-Covered Part Cause of Loss: In the event a Breakdown occurs on a Covered Part under the Service Contract due to the failure of a non-Covered Part, the Covered Part will be repaired (as an exception to the standard exclusion).

Optional Covered Part Cause of Loss: The non-Covered Part will be repaired (as an exception to the standard exclusion).

Just FYI for others, here's a link to the motorhome brochure:
http://www.coachnetprotect.com/produ...tect_motor.pdf

And of course since these policies are only as good as the insurance company that backs them, this one is backed by Wesco Insurance, who seems to have an excellent rating:
Wesco Insurance Company - Company Profile - Best's Credit Rating Center=
BobGed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 09:20 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
If you don't mind me asking, did you consider the Ultimate coverage? And if so, can you advise how much additional it would have cost for that coverage?

Do you know if the contract has language similar to the following:

Consequential Damage Coverage
Optional Non-Covered Part Cause of Loss: In the event a Breakdown occurs on a Covered Part under the Service Contract due to the failure of a non-Covered Part, the Covered Part will be repaired (as an exception to the standard exclusion).

Optional Covered Part Cause of Loss: The non-Covered Part will be repaired (as an exception to the standard exclusion).

Just FYI for others, here's a link to the motorhome brochure:
http://www.coachnetprotect.com/produ...tect_motor.pdf

And of course since these policies are only as good as the insurance company that backs them, this one is backed by Wesco Insurance, who seems to have an excellent rating:
Wesco Insurance Company - Company Profile - Best's Credit Rating Center=
I didn't go into any detail with the salesman because when we spoke, I had so little knowledge of the topic that I couldn't ask intelligent questions. Once I've had a chance to become better educated about it, I'll be able to ask for and understand more information.
Old 01-06-2015, 09:38 PM   #19

Has anyone researched this question further, and if so what was the outcome? I'm going to need a replacement extended warranty in about a month and would be very interested in a policy with Coach-Net if all the above questions come out favorable.
Old 01-07-2015, 04:27 PM   #20

I purchased a Coach Net policy about 6 months ago. For my 2007 HR Neptune with 58,000 miles the price was $4950. $200 deductible. 5 years and 60K miles beginning at date and miles at time of policy purchase. I chose Coach Net because of my good experience with their roadside assistance coverage, which I have have used twice. The price is also very competitive with other reputable offerings.

I doubt that I will recover my $4950, at least I hope not. Most common repairs (water heater, furnace, refer, leaks, etc) don't cost much more than the $200 deductible. How many repair bills over $200 have you had in the last year? Deduct $200 from each and add up what's left. For me they cost even less as I do most of that kind of maintenance myself even though virtually everything is covered by this policy. It is just easier and more convenient to replace thermistors, valves, switches, circuit boards, and other parts that are the source of most problems than to get my rig to a shop for repairs.

So why buy the Coach Net policy? I hope I do not need to replace my transmission, differential, major engine component, or other multi-thousand dollar item. Those are things I would not be able to repair myself and even if I could the parts alone would put a major dent in my budget. It is like health insurance, not needed for the little everyday stuff but critical for the major stuff we hope never happens. So no, I don't expect to have enough moderate cost failures, or the one major component failure, to recoup my $4950. Even more I hope I don't have to deal with the inconvenience of such failures.

If I'm driving happily along one day and my transmission goes out I will then be happy I made this investment. On the other hand if the next 5 years go by and I have not recouped any of my investment I will be even happier.
barrys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 05:17 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
barrys - turbo went. Not sure how you figure costs of $200 for most things - but that is often not the case.

I just got bamboozeled by GS ESP when a city transformer blew and somehow took out my transfer switch. I say bamboozeled - because I'm not sure Coach Net would treat you the same way. The "original and GS warranted" transfer switch was valued by them at $250 and they would allow that toward the new one plus 3 hours labor.

Well sir - that swith is obsolete. The new switch - complete new box and all (not the 120 relay) was $766 + a new display and pig tail harness for it was $866. Even though I cannot and GS cannot find a NOS $250 switch at any price - they called it an upgrade. Truthfully it is. The new digital display toggles between L1 and L2 with amps and is much nicer.

But at least the labor was paid and my deductible was a wash. I am still going to launch a complaint that upgrade or not - they did little to get me back in operation and if they can't do better than that - I may have to look elsewhere.

Point being - with labor what it is these days $$ and in both events - they were right in that estimate and they covered the turbo fully less deductible. Not ahead of the game but not far behind in 2.5 years.

Hope ya never have to use it - but you will... just ask Murphy... when you do report back on the $200 failures and no labor expense. I would like to know what they are.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1420672117155.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	82903   Click image for larger version

Name:	1420672137723.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	82904  

flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 06:53 PM   #22

flagship1: I certainly did not intend to imply that many repair bills in excess of $200 don't happen. They obviously do. My experience of 39 years RV'ing just leads me to agree with the insurance companies that sell these policies: most people will have fewer claims than the price of the policy. Odds are that includes me. If that were not true those companies would quickly be out of business. While that is statistically correct I, or you, may be the exception. The risk of being the exception potentially carries a very high financial penalty. That's why I decided to spend the money. I know that statistically I am likely to claim less than the price I paid, but should my turbo fail I won't feel bad about having it paid for.
barrys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 07:24 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrys View Post
flagship1: I certainly did not intend to imply that many repair bills in excess of $200 don't happen. They obviously do. My experience of 39 years RV'ing just leads me to agree with the insurance companies that sell these policies: most people will have fewer claims than the price of the policy. Odds are that includes me. If that were not true those companies would quickly be out of business. While that is statistically correct I, or you, may be the exception. The risk of being the exception potentially carries a very high financial penalty. That's why I decided to spend the money. I know that statistically I am likely to claim less than the price I paid, but should my turbo fail I won't feel bad about having it paid for.
Points all well taken - the only "insurance" guaranteed to pay is life insurance. When I bought my 1991 Airstream B Van in 91... I got a GE ESP on it. It actually converted
my R12 air conditioner to R134 when the thing failed and did it properly.

It's just been my experience that it is very easy to have 4 grand worth of warranty work done - 1 or 2 events and your in the money. A friend of mine and I were taking about this just last night. Example - On the Onan diesel generators - there is a pretty good service expense at 5 years or 500 hours. Now if you have 350 hours on it at 5 years - have run it monthly and followed other service requirements the 5 years - you night say - well heck - I'm not going to drop X dollars on that 5 year / 500 mile service. 3 months later the thing fails. The ESP could say - well you don't have records to show you did your part so we aren't going to do ours. That may be why some folks don't get what they "paid for"... cause they didn't hold up their end of the bargin. And then of course the really lucky ones that have zero problems. But ask yourself this - how many RVers have you met in your 39 years with no problems?

In the case of my turbo - it was discovered at Freightliner during scheduled maintenance and the VGT codes were noted - researched - and fixed. Records matter.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 11:10 PM   #24

Just got a quote from Coach-Net Protect All for my 2004 Itasca Meridian with 72,000 miles. For 36 mos/36,000 miles with $200 deductible it was $7,877, which seemed a little steep to me. Maybe as I've heard, once your RV reaches 10 years age coverage either isn't available or it really gets expensive.
Old 01-17-2015, 08:19 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Yup, you got that right!

It will pay to self-insure by putting that money in a bank account instead of giving it to an insurance company.

If needed you can draw whatever you need from the account.

Most of the really expensive stuff usually shows up within the first few years of a new RV. The rest is wear and tear from use and age.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 01-17-2015, 10:06 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Just got a quote from Coach-Net Protect All for my 2004 Itasca Meridian with 72,000 miles. For 36 mos/36,000 miles with $200 deductible it was $7,877, which seemed a little steep to me.
I got a couple quotes on my 2004 American Tradition a couple years ago (when the previous plan expired) and they were all in the mid-high $7000 range. I considered a powertrain only plan but that too was $3000+ per year. I decided at those rates I could afford to self-insure. I might have a major repair, but probably not two of them , whereas I was assured to be paying those premiums every year. So far I haven't had a single repair that would have been covered, so I figure I have several thousand dollars toward any future repair needs.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 04:53 PM   #27

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by OWV View Post
Like any insurance -life, home, car- you hope you never need it, but it offers incredible peace of mind in case you do. While I always opt out of the extended warranties a sales person tries to sell in department stores I would never drive a car off the lot without an extended warranty.

BTW, it also pays to shop for vehicle extended warrantiesI have also found that for a car dealer, extended warranties are a profit center in almost all cases, and there is no limit as to how much a car dealer marks up even a manufacturer's extended warranty policy. I once bought a Toyota extended warranty policy. The dealer wanted to charge me $2,000 and after shopping around a little, I found another dealer who sold me same exact policy for $1,000. The numbers aren't exact, but do show the premium some dealers try to get for selling the same product.

As for the CoachNet policy I did an almost line for line comparison with the policy our dealer offered us and in most cases the policies were not only similar but they described the coverage using the exact same words. I didn't do as similar a comparison with Good Sam, but what I did check was again very similar.

Good luck.

Regards,
OWV, Our Wandering View
Entegra Anthem, 44B

Vtg fv.
CoreyinWP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 06:10 PM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
I just got a quote from Coachnet for their RV Protect. It was more expensive and provided less coverage than a similar deductible ($200) and mileage plan from Wholesale Warranties for my 12 year old coach. With that said, I am going with Good Sam this year even though the deductible is higher ($1000) because I live in the NE and use my Motorhome seasonally. Both Coachnet and WW will not suspend coverage for the winter even though my coach is winterized and covered from October to May. It doesn't make sense to me to pay the same as a full timer when I'm not using my MH at least 6 months a year. Good Sam is a little more on an annual basis, but I can sign up and cancel on my schedule with a $1000 deductible. I'm really only interested in covering a disastrous breakdown anyway.

StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote