Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2015, 11:47 PM   #29

I'll be picking up my new-to-me 2007 Damon Outlaw in a couple of weeks and have been shopping for warranties. I'm usually one to dismiss the notion of them on things like electronics, but for an 8 year old coach (33,000 miles), being a first-timer, and not being terribly handy, I'm thinking a warranty is pretty much the only way I'll have any kind of piece of mind.

The question for me becomes "Which one?" I've spoken to GS and WW so far (I'm hearing from CN tomorrow). One difference so far is that GS isn't requiring an inspection (at least they didn't mention it) and WW is. Prices are comparable, but WW emphasized their coverage as being "exclusionary."

I haven't decided who to go with just yet, and I'm not 100% sure I'll do but I'd say I'm about 80% anyway. Looking forward to more comments here to help me decide.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2015, 12:05 AM   #30

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
If it makes you feel more comfortable then go for it. The exclusionary ones are usually the best but buyer beware!

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 11:21 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
If it makes you feel more comfortable then go for it. The exclusionary ones are usually the best but buyer beware!
A cautionary tale to share perhaps?
Old 02-03-2015, 11:27 PM   #32

I heard back from Coach Net. It was a 3 year comprehensive plan for $4300. But they don't offer installments like the others do. I'd prefer not to drop that much all at once, particularly given the money I'm spending entering the RV world.

Since I was considering Good Sam for roadside assistance and the Outdoor World discount, perhaps I'll wrap them all in a bundle with the extended warranty too. They offer quarterly or monthly payments which seems preferable for cash flow purposes and in support of their pro-rated cancellation policy.

I'm going to start looking into the fine print of GS now. Anyone with experience with Good Sam's protection specifically?
Old 02-05-2015, 06:59 PM   #33

Purchased new RV 2/2013. Interest rate reduced with extended warranty
Paid for itself. Query finance company about discount.
Old 02-05-2015, 07:01 PM   #34

PS: use Coach Net. Renewed today. Very pleased.
Old 02-07-2015, 03:44 PM   #35

Get Good Sam. Best there is
Old 02-07-2015, 11:47 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodwin View Post
Get Good Sam. Best there is
I was very close to committing with GS and then started reading about the MANY horror stories of denied claims and parts issues. Frankly, it made me very skeptical of them.
Old 02-08-2015, 08:01 AM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonynalli View Post

I was very close to committing with GS and then started reading about the MANY horror stories of denied claims and parts issues. Frankly, it made me very skeptical of them.
X-2

I would HIGHLY recommend reading ALL of the contract down to every last word. It will amaze you what they don't cover versus what they do.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 02-13-2015, 01:56 PM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
CN extended warranty

been going thru the same issue the past month--getting quotes from GS, WW, and CN on 2014 dutchstar w 5350 miles. GS $5567 (if paid in full) with $1000. ded for 7 years Plus here you can also pay mthly (66.28) or quarterly (198.85). and can cancel anytime with no more payments.

WW $778 down and 12 mthly payment of $583.13 ==total $7775 for 7 yrs or 75000 mileswith $100 ded Can save 10% if paid all up front
CN "ultimate,Luxury " plan- $3886 for 7 yrs,75000 miles $100ded. Must all be paid up front.

CN starts 7 years when you purchase contract while the others start policy when you "put unit in service"--purchase date. The mileage starts form zero on all three plans.
The other difference is that i found was the CN plan covers TV up to 60" while GS and WW only up to 42". I have been trying to read each plans actual contract and have not been able to find any major differences but I am still reading. cant understand how CN can be so much less unless they are trying to get a foothold in the rv market now and in the future prices may be closer to the other two . The warrant company for CN is AMT warranty which is owned by Amtrust Insurance which has an "A" rating. If anyone else has done more detailed comparis on on theses plan ,I would like the info. since I am a "doubting Thomas" and also believe "you get what you pay for" =so am I missing something ????
Living the Dream------ Largo, Fl.
Newmar 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 10:07 PM   #39

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Ask each of THE three what the turnaround time is from "Failure inspection" to "Adjuster-Approval". My current plan is 48 hours.

Lets say you pull into your friendly repair center because your XXX is broken on Monday. I'm guessing it will take them at least 1-2 days to quantify the labor and parts costs to fix it. That takes care of Tuesday and possibly Wednesday depending on the size of your list. The claim then is prepared and channels from the service department to the warranty clerk who submits it on Wednesday or most likely Thursday. The extended warranty company reviews the claim and always finds a host of questions to ask of the service department. By Friday they have their answers and says okay, we'll be back to you in 48 business hours "or shortly after". That means they will review the request on Tuesday at best. If your lucky after not hearing from them in exactly 48 hours you get so antsy you are able to finally get them to answer the phone and talk to a real person who will approve your request. So now the service department can finally fix your broken XXX by Wednesday unless they have taken in other business while they were waiting for approval.

Can't happen? Yes mam it can and did for us. I have no problem in what was finally covered by our extended plan and have no problem with the quality of the work by the service facility. But the wait for approval will be a test of strength for even the strongest.

JUST SAYIN....
Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Acadia Denali, tow-N-4 Down, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
bdaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 09:25 AM   #40

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdaball View Post
Ask each of THE three what the turnaround time is from "Failure inspection" to "Adjuster-Approval". My current plan is 48 hours.

Lets say you pull into your friendly repair center because your XXX is broken on Monday. I'm guessing it will take them at least 1-2 days to quantify the labor and parts costs to fix it. That takes care of Tuesday and possibly Wednesday depending on the size of your list. The claim then is prepared and channels from the service department to the warranty clerk who submits it on Wednesday or most likely Thursday. The extended warranty company reviews the claim and always finds a host of questions to ask of the service department. By Friday they have their answers and says okay, we'll be back to you in 48 business hours "or shortly after". That means they will review the request on Tuesday at best. If your lucky after not hearing from them in exactly 48 hours you get so antsy you are able to finally get them to answer the phone and talk to a real person who will approve your request. So now the service department can finally fix your broken XXX by Wednesday unless they have taken in other business while they were waiting for approval.

Can't happen? Yes mam it can and did for us. I have no problem in what was finally covered by our extended plan and have no problem with the quality of the work by the service facility. But the wait for approval will be a test of strength for even the strongest.
Another important point to consider! Since it happened to you, were you reimbursed for additional expenses - lodging, meals, etc. (if any) while waiting the 10 days just to get approval?
Old 02-23-2015, 12:59 PM   #41

I just purchased a CN Ultimate extended warranty plan on my 2006 Fleetwood Discovery, just for the piece of mind. Shopped all over, and prices do vary and so does the mark up on the contracts. Negotiate with them. As far as wanting the payment all up front, it that gets me a better deal, than so be it, put it on a c/card that has a low interest rate.
Old 02-23-2015, 11:12 PM   #42

I ended up purchasing a Canadian-based service plan from my (Canadian) dealer. With the exchange rate, the price was more attractive and (for what it's worth) the dealer spoke highly of the company, SAL. My hope is that as a new RVer with lots of spending to do, they wouldn't steer me blatantly wrong.