Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2012, 02:14 AM   #1

Coach-Net v. AAA

Hello all. This may have been worked to death and if so I missed it.

I haven't been able to see the fine print in the Coach-Net agreement, but the big print seems to offer more and longer than AAA. I've had AAA for years, and moved up to "Premier" when I got an RV. However, reviewing Coach-Net tonight they don't seem to have a limit of 4 events and are more generous with other matters as well.

For a little less money.

Has this seemed true for other people?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2012, 06:11 AM   #2

I got AAA Premier when I first got a MH since I already had AAA for my cars. After listening to others and reading here, I upgraded to Coachnet and dropped AAA. Could not be happier. Have had three opportunities to deal with Coachnet, two with cars and one with MH. They are professional, courteous, and always very helpful. They deal with MH's all the time.

YMMV but that has been my experience.

Take care,

Dan

Dan DeBruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:35 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowser View Post

I haven't been able to see the fine print in the Coach-Net agreement, but the big print seems to offer more and longer than AAA. I've had AAA for years, and moved up to "Premier" when I got an RV. However, reviewing Coach-Net tonight they don't seem to have a limit of 4 events and are more generous with other matters as well.

For a little less money.

Has this seemed true for other people?
We were AAA members for years and to be honest we only used them twice in all that time and both were by my children...childern long since gone so less of a need. My DW liked to use them for Trip Tics, etc. but she carries around her iPad like a hand bag and we use GPS and Microsoft Streets & Trips so what is the need for Trip Tic? When we purchased our MH we started to investigate other options and with the help of the kind folks on iRV2 we switched to Coach Net for all the reasons mentioned here and on other iRV2 threads. I have not had the need to use their services and I hope it stays that way For now I am pleased!
Old 10-12-2012, 08:32 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think the big difference is that CoachNet is used to arranging tows for large RVs where AAA is not. By the way, I had CoachNet tow my 39' motorhome 112 miles this summer and it didn't cost me a dime.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:49 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coach Net is in many cases less expensive, plus they offer roadside assistance in all 50 states.. AAA in many states can bring you five gallons of either Gasoline or Diesel, but that is all, No towing since they do not have HD towers in all states.

Recommendaiton is Coach Net, or Good Sams, or some other RV specific Roadside assistence provider.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:59 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
One more thing: IN most cases AAA does not provide the actual roadside assistance, they simply send out a contract towing service or assistance provider (Therer are exceptions).

Same with coach net, Good sams and all the rest, They operate very few, if any, tow trucks.

MOST of the complaints I have heard fall into one of three classes:
1: Slow response
The Contract towers know they will get paid a set fee for towing your rig, However they have a "Paying customer" who will pay them perhaps 2x or 3x that fee waiting, guess who they are going to tow first?

2: Wrong equipment: For example when I got stuck the truck Goch & Sons sent out was about 2 sizes too small for the job.. We got 'er done thanks to my brains being enough to make up the difference, but I had to teach the driver the proper way to tow instead of the method he had been taught.. Turns out his truck is stronger than he thought. (I also damaged it less than his methods would have but that's another story)

3: Bad hookup, I have heard of towers who, damaged a motor home by hooking up wrong, or even DROPPED the thing off the truck. Even had one jump start my wife's car the wrong way (Reverse polarity).

These last two are not the fault of Coach Net, AAA et-al, but are the fault of the towing company.

I had one AAA driver towing my daughter's car who said he had I forget how many years of experience driving a tow truck.. Again, I really hate when I have to teach a professional how to do his job.. He could not get the car off the truck.. Turned out to be easy, Just pull the rug out and off it went (He dropped the car about 1 inch doing it my way, doing absolutly NO damage to anything).

I have had to teach some other drivers how to do it too.. But at least with them I was their dispatcher.

I worked for a few years as a tow truck dispatcher.... The gate to the yard was kind of bent to 7734, Boss came in one day and the gate was straight as an arrow.. He wondered why,, Well to straighten it I needed but 3 thigns

An immovable object (hard place) (A big CAT front end loader/car crusher

An irresistable force (The tow cable from one of the trucks.

And a Strong mind: Thankfully, that I came equipped with.

The proper application of force and the pipes making up the gate just naturally became straight once again.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:02 AM   #7

We had AAA when I first got the coach. I had an issue that needed a service call and the people at AAA had no clue about motor homes. I went to Good Sams have had 1 issue with good results. Plus, they do all the cars and the RV for the same price.
Old 10-14-2012, 01:32 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowser View Post
It has been worked to death. See here..

Coach-Net

and here...

Coach-Net

for just 2 of the previous threads. You can use the search function at the top of the page to find more.

General concensus is Coach-net is the bomb. Better service, less mail and spam.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:09 PM   #9

Most think AAA is one company nationwide...NOT. It is 51 separate small companies operated under the umbrella of the AAA name, but each with their own rules and regulations. Some will service an RV others will NOT touch one and will not even assist in getting service, even tho your home location says you have the RV option. AAA is NOT the RVers friend, if you travel throughout the US, Canada and Mexico.
The Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:24 PM   #10
Elf

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Texan View Post
Most think AAA is one company nationwide...NOT. It is 51 separate small companies operated under the umbrella of the AAA name, but each with their own rules and regulations. Some will service an RV others will NOT touch one and will not even assist in getting service, even tho your home location says you have the RV option. AAA is NOT the RVers friend, if you travel throughout the US, Canada and Mexico.
This is exactly the reason we went to Coach Net. We have had AAA for many years. With the RV, though, the rules are different. The Washington AAA will cover RVs but many areas don't. If you are in one of those uncovered areas and need assistance you need to pay for it and submit for reimbursement. I'd much rather work with a company that knows the differences in requirements for an RV.

Fortunately I haven't needed to use the Coach Net services yet but feel confident from their reputation that they will come through when/if needed.
Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:12 PM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Texan View Post
AAA is NOT the RVers friend, if you travel throughout the US, Canada and Mexico.
While generalizations such as this may be accurate for areas of the country that have more horns on cattle than cars, here in Southern California the AAA club is highly regarded and in fact was my choice over Coach Net. And I do travel east coast, west coast and Ontario, Canada.

If you're in a hurry, you shouldn't be RV'ing
RVee'r is offline   Reply With Quote