Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2013, 03:03 PM   #1

Coach step problem

I have a Coach step on my 08 29RBD Trek. The gear box part of the motor assembly has bad plastic gears and parts inside. Dose anyone know where to get replacement parts for the gear box? The only thing I have been able to find on the net is a complete motor assembly for about $180. I need about $10 worth of plastic gears.
ventus2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2013, 08:48 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Can you post a picture so we can see what you need
Old 03-01-2013, 09:52 PM   #3

Solo Rvers Club
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/chan...ew-151231.html
I don't know if this will help you or not but it is informative.
recycled55
Old 03-02-2013, 01:40 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ventus2b View Post
I have a Coach step on my 08 29RBD Trek. The gear box part of the motor assembly has bad plastic gears and parts inside. Dose anyone know where to get replacement parts for the gear box? The only thing I have been able to find on the net is a complete motor assembly for about $180. I need about $10 worth of plastic gears.
the kwikee step motor and actuator is the same unit as many power window actuators for cars. check napa, etc.
i have read that changing the position of the internal gears may work for a while.
do a search on this forum for more specific info.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:09 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN L View Post
the kwikee step motor and actuator is the same unit as many power window actuators for cars. check napa, etc.
i have read that changing the position of the internal gears may work for a while.
do a search on this forum for more specific info.
I thought they were windshield wiper motors ?
Old 03-02-2013, 06:19 AM   #6
paz

Kwikee steps use a power window motor. If you get the motor from tha auto parts store, it will be much cheaper than the one from Kwikee. You will need the make and model of the car the motor is supposed to fit because the auto parts store probably won't let you look through their inventory to find one that matches. Not only that, but one for a car that old will probably have to be ordered anyway. I seem to remember someone posting they used one from the left side (I think) from a 1990s Ford Taurus. Try doing a search on iRV2 for "Kwikee step motor" or something similar.

Since it's the gears and not the motor itself, I also seem to remember reading auto parts stores may carry a rebuild kit for the gearbox. If that's true, your repair will be even cheaper.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:25 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Check this OEM provider for various motors for RV steps including the Kwikee:
AM Equipment : Driver Side Step Motor [210-1011] - $45.05
Old 03-02-2013, 06:45 AM   #8

Quote:
As mentioned, see here (assuming it's a Kwikee). Everything you need to know if you read all posts in the thread including links to auto parts stores. Figure $40 for the entire assembly.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/chan...ew-151231.html
Old 03-02-2013, 06:46 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
I thought they were windshield wiper motors ?
No .... it's a window lift motor.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:37 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
This is some info I have collected over the years from various threads for Kwikee steps.

Trouble shooting chart HERE

There is a trouble shooting guide HERE

If you need sources for motors or parts check the following:

Motor

PARTS 1

PARTS 2

PARTS 3

__________________________________________________ ______________
" 1) AM Equipment 402 E. Hazel St Jefferson, OR 97352, (541) 327-1546 the motor is $29 plus $7 shipping.

2) Replacement step motor at AutoZone. It's a Siemens "Window Lift Motor", part number WL43003.

3) Autozone. The brand is "Siemens"
The ID tag lists the following numbers:
59720-20
4) A 1986-1995 Ford Taurus left front window lift motor matched my motor. NAPA part # BK655-1395 $63.99 I ordered my motor from Auto-Zone Manufactured by Dorman part# 742-206. This has a lifetime Warranty and was $49.99. "

Also these guys rebuild the older unencapsulated circuit boards: HERE

New info in 2012
ACI Auto/Window Lift Motor (83094) | 1995 Ford F150 1/2 ton P/U 2WD 8 Cylinders N 5.0L EFI | AutoZone.com

Aci Auto/Window Lift Motor

For your 1995 Ford Truck F150 1/2 ton P/U 2WD 5.0L EFI 8cyl
Enlarge Image
Part Number: 83094

On disasembly of the motor I found the plastic plugs severly lopsided due to all the years of strain, new plugs cost $8.00 at Autozone or Amazon, other than that the Autozone Ford Mark VI would have worked $ $44, but I saved myself $38
Just rplaced my 25 series Kwikee step motor with a Dorman 742-277 window lift motor for a 1986 Ford Taurus driver side window lift motor. They said the Taurus had a high torqe motor which is why the number ends with 277 meaning high torqe. My steps zip in and out with this motor application. It was a special order item but only took one day for them to get it to my local AutoZone store. I also noticed AutoZone had rebuild kits for Dorman window lift gear boxes (plastic gears) in the Help section of the store.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:15 AM   #11

Thanks for all the help especially from Ron (BROCKX) that got me pointed in the right direction. Most of the information provided is referencing Kwikee steps. My coach step is similar but not exactly the same. I purchased a gear and plug assembly (84635) from Advanced auto. I could not get them together and ended up purchasing just the plugs (74410) and using the original gear. I wanted to replace the gear because it showed some ware in the area where the plugs are installed. If anyone has part numbers that they have used for Coach step parts or a replacement unit from a car that would be helpful for future reference. Thanks.
ventus2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:40 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Thanks for all the help especially from Ron (BROCKX) that got me pointed in the right direction. Most of the information provided is referencing Kwikee steps. My coach step is similar but not exactly the same. I purchased a gear and plug assembly (84635) from Advanced auto. I could not get them together and ended up purchasing just the plugs (74410) and using the original gear. I wanted to replace the gear because it showed some ware in the area where the plugs are installed. If anyone has part numbers that they have used for Coach step parts or a replacement unit from a car that would be helpful for future reference. Thanks.

Good to hear you "got er done". If you are concerned about a subsequent failure I would suggest you remove the motor assembly at a convenient time and take it to Advance Auto and match it up to a replacement. Start with a late 80's Taurus Driver's door the pasenger side is a 180 difference. I'm not an authority but I believe when Kwikee updated, the design was the same just a different vendor. The original was a Dorman unit and there are some very slight internal differences.

Ron

BTW new units are about $50