Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2011, 08:29 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Coach With Tiny Swimming Pool

Yes, we have a lap pool for bugs. It spans the width of the windshield, is 1" deep, the water is clear and cold.

This is what happens when frost on the windshield melts: it pools between the dashboard and the glass. A large bath towel will hopefully solve the problem, as the morning progresses.

We see this everywhere, to a smaller extent, in the coach. There are droplets of water running down walls, in various locations.

Outside, the temps dipped to minus 13 last night, promised daytime high today is 20F.
RVNeophytes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2011, 08:43 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yikes
and I thought 26 degree's was cold.
I have not seen condensation form inside our unit yet. Hope we never get cold enough to have any problems like that!

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:08 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: KM Parks in Western Washington and Yuma,Az for the Winter
Maybe you should consider a small de-humidifier if cracking a few windows doesn't help. I have one in my 37' boat and the 4 gallon tank will fill in just a few days. Sure keeps the moisture out and the musty smell down!
Old 02-03-2011, 11:35 AM   #4

Yep...Dehumidifier will solve the problem...We have one in our 40 footer...Never a problem with condensation on windows...
movin-on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 12:44 PM   #5

This is what I did about condensation on the windshield. We take Sham Wows and roll them one at a time. I place the Sham Wows end for end along the bottom of the windshield with the Sham Wows snuggly touching the glass. Any condensation which drips down the windshield is captured by the Sham Wows. In the morning we open the drapes and I slide each Sham Wow up collecting all the remaining water on the windshield. The Sham Wows do not drip with the collected water. Most times no extra wiping will be necessary. Those Sham Wows suck up a lot of water. I wring them out and they are ready for the next nights or days collection. For me it eases my mind about where the heck all that water was going at the bottom.

BTW the Sham Wows require no electricity to operate. We boondock 95% of the time so it matters.
WOODYDEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 02:51 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
How much stock did you say you own of Sham Wow?

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:13 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
we have a small box looking electric heater on our dash that runs to keep the windshield clear and hence no pools

we also have three eva drys tow one pinters and one quarter

key with keeping walls and windows dry is to get the coach
HOT and dry, open all cabinets and dry the back walls, leave no plastic touching an outside wall, as it will condensate
then throttle back the heat to a comfort level

open cabinets a small amount to promote air movement
a few small fans on low work wonders
also seal up as many air leaks as you can, slide seals are great for letting in cold air. especially the bottom of the slide seals

i am not a fan of cracking a window or a powered vent as they just bring in more moist cold air, except the one right over the shower or near it, but only during the shower, to draw out hot moist air which is what we are trying to remove.

after showering...dry the shower out

and if its real bad and rainy and cold, bring in the slides, dry the walls and get the coach dry, then open them up as you get better weather or dried out interior.

and one more work around for us
is the two dash fans
at night i turn on the key to aux, and power up the fans on low aimed at the windshield,
and i even have one turned to blow air across the front entry door to keep it clear.
hope it helps
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 04:16 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanabee FTer View Post
How much stock did you say you own of Sham Wow?
For me, it has always been excellent entertainment to watch the hucksters down at our local farmers market as a kid. Very often the products performed as stated right before the eyes of the beholder. The huckster pushing the Sham Wows works in the classic tradition and I like it. This product I mentioned just works as stated. In addition it is an immediate solution for the OP's stated problem. 1" of water seems to me a significant problem needing to be mopped up without dripping all over the dash and floor. I'm guessing that at such low temperatures a dehumidifier will help but will require a low temp dehumidifier such as the Soleus (no stock) model I own. That windshield is single pane and keeping condensation off it at such low temps is difficult and next to impossible when it is closed off from the coach with drapes etc.

THE PITCH:
Old 02-04-2011, 07:56 AM   #9

The fan is only moving the humidity somewhere else where you don't see it.Unless very cold I leave the bath vent open with a small computer fan I installed running.Venting during or after a shower will help.
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 02:25 PM   #10

A good dehumidifier will not only keep condensation off windows...It also prevents mold and mildew from forming...Unless you use Shamwows for wallpaper..You would be amazed at the amount of water it removes..
movin-on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 05:30 PM   #11

Most people only know about dehumidifiers. What you WANT is an air to air heat exchanger. It will provide fresh air and eliminate excess moisture naturally all without losing your precious heat. Most use about as much power as a 100 watt light bulb. They cost more than the popular dehumidifiers but are superior. When you look at them, you might think the magic is all smoke and mirrors. I've use a Mitsubishi air to air heat exchanger since 1982. It was rocket science back then. Still all these years later most don't even know what I'm talking about. I still stand by my TEMPORARY solution. I've made post about air to air exchangers in the past on this site.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:19 AM   #12

OK, so how about this idea? Upon further thinking about the problem, which affects everyone, I came up with another idea. The condensation on the windshield is caused by the air coming in contact with the cold surface and the air's dew point being reached. The radiant energy is passing through the windshield too quickly. Others have tried placing all type of material on the inside of the windshield but what happens is the air which comes in contact with the windshield is still cooling dramatically. Condensation still forms behind the material placed in front of the windshield. I contacted a couple of companies which make those covers you see placed over the windshield and side windows adjacent to the windshield. I suggested the idea of their making an insulated cover. In previous posts I suggested the idea of how to dramatically enhance the insulating value of your walls. Well the same material sandwiched between a double layered windshield cover will accomplish the same effect. A double layer of reflective material will inhibit the radiation of heat from the air next to the windshield. In addition to the possible elimination of condensation you would also end up with a MH which is easier to heat. Sunpro responded to my query. They suggested using Reflectix along with their vinyl cover. They are more than willing to make you a cover with Reflectix between their standard windshield cover. The person who replied is Eric. You could, of course, just buy a standard cover and do it yourself but I would think they can do a better job.

You can also get covers for all of your side windows. Make sure to cover your window frames.

Some of you may want to keep running dehumidifiers but people who don't hook up very often don't have that as a practical solution. Besides why waste the electrical energy if you don't have to?

Don't forget my air to air heat exchanger idea. It works and uses far less energy than any dehumidifier.

"Cracking your windows open" is not a practical idea. It's recommended for your living space to have at least 6 complete air changes in 24 hrs. To do this with cracking your windows would keep you perpetually cold and broke reproducing that valuable heat. The air to air exchangers are approximately 75-80% efficient in recovering the heat exiting with your stale air. To exchange all your air 6 times in 24 hrs in a 32' MH with slides requires a 9 CFM blower. A 40' will require a 14 CFM blower.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:23 AM   #13

I wanted to add this but exceeded the 60 minute limit. It belongs at the end of my previous post following "14 CFM blower."

The amount of energy required to move this much air is very low. Remember the air going out is exactly as much as the air coming into the living space.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:44 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
At minus 13, I don't care what you do. You will have problems in any coach. That is mighty cold! Joe