Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2005, 05:21 AM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
A fellow RVer has a 2000 32'Coachman Leprechaun that just developed a slide out problem. His family tried to put the slide out and it didn't move normally. If I understand his symptoms correctly (he is about 200 miles away from me now), one side of the slide will move but the other appears to be stuck. He describes a grinding noise when he tries to move the slide.

He is the original owner but doesn't appear to have any information about the slide out maker or how to go about troubleshooting this problem. He is also a long ways from a dealer and would prefer to see what he could do on his own before trying to get into the repair department schedule.

Has anyone had a luck in dealing with Coachman in an out of warranty situation like this? Does anyone have a lead on who the slideout maker might be or how to contact them? My friend thinks that there are two separate motors and that one of them might not be working. Is there any possibility that this is caused by a stuck brake? If so, how are the brakes normally relased to move the slide manually?

Thanks for any help that you can provide.

Charlie

chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2005, 05:21 AM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
A fellow RVer has a 2000 32'Coachman Leprechaun that just developed a slide out problem. His family tried to put the slide out and it didn't move normally. If I understand his symptoms correctly (he is about 200 miles away from me now), one side of the slide will move but the other appears to be stuck. He describes a grinding noise when he tries to move the slide.

He is the original owner but doesn't appear to have any information about the slide out maker or how to go about troubleshooting this problem. He is also a long ways from a dealer and would prefer to see what he could do on his own before trying to get into the repair department schedule.

Has anyone had a luck in dealing with Coachman in an out of warranty situation like this? Does anyone have a lead on who the slideout maker might be or how to contact them? My friend thinks that there are two separate motors and that one of them might not be working. Is there any possibility that this is caused by a stuck brake? If so, how are the brakes normally relased to move the slide manually?

Thanks for any help that you can provide.

Charlie

Old 11-09-2005, 06:20 AM   #3

Normally it is a single motor running a worm gear that connects to two gears on each side of the slide .... No brakes that I know of ... sounds like maybe the one side gear support might have come loose and disengaged from the drive motor gear

Andrea
C Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 06:44 AM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for your reply. My friend looked underneath but didn't immediately see anything that looked wrong. The grear casing that you described may be where he thinks that the motor is mounted (I'm not sure if he can easily see all of the area surrounding the gear casing).

OK. If it is that, what happens? My friend says that he can see no way to remove bolts with the slide in a retracted postion.

My personal interest in this is to see if I can learn something for a time when I might have similar difficulties. I'd rather learn on someone else's problem than my own.
Old 11-09-2005, 07:17 AM   #5

There is probably one motor, two slide mechanism, and a square tubeing connecting the two slide mech.'s. I've seen a case before where the bolt on one ond of the square tube comes looses, falls out, then only one set of mech's work. (the one with the motor).

If that's the case, it takes someone getting under there, and turning the working one manually to align the two together again, then replace the bolt.

Be carefull. It's a place where fingers can be lost.
Old 11-09-2005, 08:43 AM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks, Charlie. A couple of follow up questions from a real neophyte in this area.
1. How do you manually turn just one, assuming that the bolt on the other has fallen out? If they are driven by a square bar, can you put a wrench on that to do the alignment? Remember, I'm a long ways a way and have to visualize the setup since I cannot physically see it.
2. Should he be trying to get it aligned in the closed position? From his discussion about it this far, he doesn't seem to have much room to tighten anything when the slide is all the way in.

THanks for any additional guidance that you can provide.

Charlie
Old 11-09-2005, 12:17 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
How does your friend level his coach? If he puts both front jacks down first than two rear jacks second he can flex is coach binding his slide to the floor. He should put down both jacks,on low side first, front an rear so that side will raise that side rail of chassis stright, than raise other side front an rear rail together to level coach. When the coach is flexed your door may bind also, plus compartment doors. If his motor will not run he may have blown fuse for motor because of binding. "007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 01:42 PM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for your suggestions, 007. My friend has no jacks. The motor on the slide does run - hence the grinding noise that I reported.

He has his MH parked at home and it is as level as normal. I agree that jacking part of the frame might help him if this is some kind of twisting problem.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:28 PM   #9

My slide is powergear with the square tube going between the 2 gears.It's not hard to replace the broken bolts .The tube can be turned with a wrench or use the motor to turn the shaft till the gears are lined up.The problem is to find bolts that are strong enough .I finally got aircraft grade .Make sure they are the right length or they will hit.
BOB
Old 11-11-2005, 03:52 AM   #10

I used the motor to turn mine. it was too tough with the size wrench that I could fit into the area available. I just bumped the switch just a hair and went and looked. I did notice this weekend, on mine there is a manual crank spot on the "other" side of the motor, opposite of the business side. I bet of you had thet, he could use a large wrench there. I used the pattern in the floor to align it, as it always seemed be be squared with that.