Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-24-2014, 11:04 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Coachnet or GS What about Emerg. Road Service and ext.warranty

We recently bought a 2007 WB. We have been travelling some in 2014 and havnt had problems. We plan to take a cross country trip next year and want to cover our camper with a good emergency road service plan and maybe some extended warranty.

We have heard better reviews on Coachnet, what level of coverage do you think is adequate for road hazard and repair, there seems to be several road hazard plans for coachnet. I plan to call them and was doing a little research with the experts here on this great site.

Are folks going with extended warranties for campers, we have a Type C, gasser, with one small slide and chevy chassis and 6.0 L engine.

thanks for your input.
New to MH RVing,had TTs/HTT/PUPs/Tents, retired 2013,now have more time for church ministries,fam,friends, camping, we have 2007 WB Access 29T with 6.0L Chevy,25K miles,31' 2013 CRV AWD Toad/Falcon2/BrBuddy
rvtime2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2014, 11:52 AM   #2

Their Basic plan is too limited for anyone who travels more than a once a year vacation trip. The Standard Plan fits most if you're primarily interested in coverage for one RV. The Premium plan is mostly beneficial for folks with multiple RV's and other vehicles. Keep in mind what you're buying with these plans is response from a towing company or sometimes a mobile service truck; and their terms require you be towed to the nearest qualified facility, which isn't always your preferred shop. Whatever needs repaired or replaced is extra.
As far as extended warranty policies, you'll get a range of opinions here. Some think they're beneficial, many think they're a waste of money. They're mostly popular with the folks who sell them, since their profit margin is very high. If you're one of the few who leaves Las Vegas with more in your pocket, then you may also be lucky with an extended warranty. But just like Vegas, most come out on the short end. Put the money in your own account up front and avoid paying someone else to profit on your repairs or lack of repairs. just my opinion
Jim2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 12:10 PM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We've used GS ERS since we started RV'ing in 2001. Like others, we've had good and bad experiences, but I would have to say the good has outweighed the bad so far. When our plan comes up for renewal I will take another look at CoachNet. JMHO
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 12:59 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We also have GSRS and have only had one bad experience with them vs. the other 4 times we have needed their services. We also have AAA RV Premiere as a backup. When I know where I want the MH or the toad towed to I will call AAA, but when we are in an area where I do not know the repair shops I use GSRS as they will line up a repair place for us. Just a side note on that, they only got us into 1 mediocre repair facility, the rest have been top notch.
Grandpere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 06:16 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi rvtime2,
Both call the same tow companies. Purchase the plan that best meets your needs. As to the extended service contract, buy it. The RVs are very complicated today. There are many more things to break than in the past.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 09:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi rvtime2,
Both call the same tow companies. Purchase the plan that best meets your needs. As to the extended service contract, buy it. The RVs are very complicated today. There are many more things to break than in the past.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 07:03 AM   #7

My only advice if you're thinking of an extended service contract is to shop around. There's a number of them. I'd just google RV extended service plans to see what's available, and which one would fit your needs. They're not all created equal. Oh, and look for gaskets & seals. You have to really read what their covering & not covering. They're really specific in what they'll do & not do. I personaly ended up canceling my GS policy and going with another company, as has a number of other RVer's because of problems with them. Other's have had no problem, but I had two which was enough for me. I'm sure others will chime in.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 09:23 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Coachnet or GS What about Emerg. Road Service and ext.warranty

I would recommend CoachNet for roadside assistance. Whomever you buy, be sure the word "unlimited" is liberally sprinkled throughout your coverage description. This usually implies the Premium Plan.

I am also a believer in service contracts for large RVs, unless you have the wherewithal to personally underwrite a major system failure on your MH. Many advise simply banking the premium in order to cover yourself, but they never quite explain how banking a $3000 premium will replace a $15K engine. There are numerous threads on this forum debating this subject. The search function is your friend.

A service contract is an insurance policy-- nothing more, nothing less. Look for an "exclusionary" policy. This means that instead of covering only the items listed, the underwriter will cover everything on the vehicle *except* those items specifically excluded. Subtle but significant difference. Also, it is worthwhile to pay a bit extra for some enhanced coverages, such as the Seals & Gaskets that ramets mentioned, and particularly for "Consequential Damage" coverage, although it seems not many still offer that.

Only you know your own risk tolerance. Wholesale Warranties is a good broker, but you must also check out the underwriter and administrator of whatever contract is offered.

Good Luck!
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service