Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2016, 09:36 AM   #1
WJM

Coleman heat pump failures

I have a 2015 Tiffin Phaeton and have had 4 catastrophic fan motor failures on the Coleman low profile heat pumps. The front and rear have failed once and the middle unit has failed twice. The coach is less than one year old. Are others experiencing this problem?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2016, 09:51 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJM View Post
I have a 2015 Tiffin Phaeton and have had 4 catastrophic fan motor failures on the Coleman low profile heat pumps. The front and rear have failed once and the middle unit has failed twice. The coach is less than one year old. Are others experiencing this problem?
I have not had those issues, however I would contact Tiffin (256) 356-8661 and get it repaired and ask them to research WHY this is happening.

Good luck

Old 03-27-2016, 01:54 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I seem to remember an issue with the fans on one brand of A/C. I think I read about it on the Entegra forum. Something about failure and perhaps noise. Not sure if its the same brand A/C
Old 03-27-2016, 02:02 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJM View Post
WJM.... It would help to know what model Coleman you are talking about??? AND.....AND..... are you talking electric motor failure; mounting isolator failure, OR catastrophic fan failures in the Coleman Mach 8 heat pumps (and likely others using the old design 6 blade fan). Also noise issues on the Mach 8 related to the old fan.

The first is not well known. Rubber isolators failing. Yes. Fans exploding.... definitely YES. Search the forum in Winne and Entrega sub forums. Or Coleman.

Coleman A/C fan upgrade - 6 blade to 3 blade
Old 03-27-2016, 02:11 PM   #5

That is true, if you have the newer three blade fans on your Coleman they have had three revisions to get it right. If your condenser fans on the roof are three blades with any letter other than D they will fail. Should be xxxxDxxxx part number embossed on the fan. XxxxB or C will fail and a lot of the time it will break the motor mounts.
Old 03-28-2016, 07:47 AM   #6
WJM

The model number of the units is 47074A879. They are the low profile Mach units. The failures are fan and motor mount failures.I am not sure which fan is present, but two were recently replaced and more robust mounting system retrofitted to all and still 2 failed. I am waiting for the repair tech to inspect this morning. I will be sure to ask about the fan model. Thanks for the replies. WJM
Old 03-28-2016, 09:07 AM   #7
WJM

The tech has found that the front AC had a B blade which just blew apart. Has been replaced with a new D blade and is now working. The middle unit has a different issue and waiting for parts. Thanks for the advice!

Tags
heat, heat pump