Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-24-2011, 09:41 AM   #1
Coleman TSR AC Issues

Hi...we are new to forum seeking advice. We have a Fleetwood Flair 93 with a coleman TSR roof mount ac. Never had a problem out of it. Plugged in to a bad pedestal and our system got zapped. From what we can tell the wiring from the Breaker to the unit itself is now nonoperational

Since we are in Tennessee and its a million degrees we have run an extension cord which is direct wired to our unit and plugged in to the pedestal.

The unit runs, but bogs down and stops producing cold air.

We have it rigged this way waiting for a service call from the ac parks technician

any help would be appreciated as we have to labs who are very hot

bruinboru is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2011, 10:28 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sorry about the problems. You say the A/C is direct wired to the pedestal. How long is the cord and what gauge is the cord? You should be using a 20 amp rated cord for anything over about 20'.

If the cord is too small, you will have low voltage at the unit and it will "bog-down".

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 07:33 AM   #3
Morning Ken...thank for getting back to us. Initially we were running a 16 ga extension cord (ac tech said that was fine). We switched over yesterday to some 10.2 romex. Original unit still did not seem to be getting cool. Could we have ruined are original unit?

We then installed the used ac we bought (ac tech told me originally our ac fan motor was shot. He really wanted to sell us a new ac) wired with the romex and that unit has been cooling just fine.

We've been dealing with this for a little over a month now. Spent about $500 on used ac's and have about 3 weeks between the two of us missing work to stay with the dogs to make sure its not getting to hot for them.

There is 104 volts to the campers romex on the ac breakers common. The AC tech wants to run the romex across the roof to re wire it as oppossed to 'snaking' it thru. I'd really like to get back to whole from this experience. Exposed wires dont work to well for me as I have to labs who love to chew. I have already placed a hole in the side of the camper to rig the operation as it sits. Is putting it back to original impossible or is this tech just a lazy bozo? I'm leaning towards the later based on my past dealing with him.

What is the liability of the campground and at what point should they or should they not assist. They did totally rebuild their pedestal which was apparently bad prior to us getting here according to the neighbors who have also experienced problems.

Any advice is welcome. Thanks for the forum seems like a good place to come for advice.

Billy and Jenn...93 Fleetwood Flair and two crazy labs

ps the cord was a 16 ga 50' extension cord replaced yesterday with 25' 10.2 romex. Hard wired to the switch
Old 07-25-2011, 02:35 PM   #4
Fleetwood Owners Club
You could have replaced the original AC fan motor a lot cheaper then $500 if that was all wrong with it.
May have been a cheap $20 or less start capacitor bad on it.

Would just boarding the dogs be less then missing work?

Are they other things that don't work in the RV from the mishap?
Refrigerator, TV's, water heater, converter, etc.

104V is too low for the AC as it will drop when the compressor try's to start if it can.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 11:10 AM   #5
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
You could have replaced the original AC fan motor a lot cheaper then $500 if that was all wrong with it.
May have been a cheap $20 or less start capacitor bad on it.

Would just boarding the dogs be less then missing work?

Are they other things that don't work in the RV from the mishap?
Refrigerator, TV's, water heater, converter, etc.

104V is too low for the AC as it will drop when the compressor try's to start if it can.
Our original AC was fine. It did not need replacing. We plugged into a bad pedestal which fried the wire from the breaker to the ac. Breaker is fine. Tech who was sent out from the campground told us our motor was shot in an attempt to sell us a unit for $1000.00. The only thing we had on when this occured was the ac as we were in the process of setting up camp. Nothing else was damaged in the process.

On the advice of the tech we purchased a used ac. During the switchover process we determined our ac was fine except for the switch he "cut" when attempting to remove the ceiling assembly.

How difficult is it to rerun the wire from the ac to the breaker inside the camper and put it back to original. The tech wants to run it wild and staple it to my ceiling and walls.

Im asking for advice because this tech who the campground is providing has lied to me on several occasions and cost us due to his poor diagnosis.

Boarding the dogs....HMMMM....thats kinda why we have the camper so we can move about freely the guys are always at home. My dogs have never been left with strangers, dont think I'd want to start now.

Thanks for any advice.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:43 AM   #6
Hi there fellow RVers I am having a problem with water dripping from the INSIDE shroud of the Coleman TSR AC unit onto the floor. I took the inside shroud off but can see no water evaperator lines, before I climb onto the roof in the heat I was hoping someone here has had a simalar problem and could maybe offer some advice

Zamstaff is offline   Reply With Quote