Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-01-2009, 09:18 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
California is 65'

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2009, 09:47 AM   #16

Going commercial is definitely NOT the way to go. It puts you into a whole new ballgame as far as documented maintenance requirements, a different group enforcing the commercial laws than the standard highway safety laws, and the whole issue of weighing at each open scale. Some scales are actually set up so they weigh and MEASURE each unit each time they pass through, so if you might have an issue, this is not where you want to be.

John

Old 11-01-2009, 09:58 AM   #17
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Going commercial is definitely NOT the way to go.
In addition you would probably need a CDL.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 07:10 PM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
My friendsl, length and weight limits are based on safety issues. How precious is your family's life. . . how about your own? Oh, and by the way: what about personal integrity? What are we teaching our children when we "just barely" brake the law? Be up-right. . . do the right thing. . . stay with-in the law. As always, oRV
Old 11-01-2009, 10:09 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orvil Hazelton View Post
My friendsl, length and weight limits are based on safety issues. How precious is your family's life. . . how about your own? Oh, and by the way: what about personal integrity? What are we teaching our children when we "just barely" brake the law? Be up-right. . . do the right thing. . . stay with-in the law. As always, oRV
I'm afraid I have a different opinion. If length limits were cut and dry safety issues, they would all be the same or at least very close. In reality they are established by DMV's or state politicians based on what someone's idea of what safety is or should be, and then modified by other political dogs with one or other horse trading issues to promote. Because they are so seldom enforced and somewhat unknown among law enforcement personnel this lends further credence to this NOT being a safety issue. The personal integrity issue is another side of the coin and does need to be evaluated differently. Do you follow all statutes to the letter or only those who you can see an obvious need for. Same on speed. Do you always follow the speed laws EXACTLY or just close and rarely in certain areas and at certain times. Personal choice or always obedience????

John
Old 11-05-2009, 05:11 AM   #20

we tow a enclosed trailer all over we are 75' long have never bin stoped yet, when we go to Cal. we run at night.
Old 11-05-2009, 11:41 AM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Some trailers just refuse to be tied to the back of an RV.

Redneck Motorhome Camper Pulling Wheelies - Youtube Live - YouTube MySpace Video - Noolmusic.com
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 12:19 PM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
As a retired Louisiana State Trooper, my opinion is that you probably not be stopped for being over length unless you violate the law or are involved in an accident. The problem here, is the liability if you are towing illegally. You may be deemed at fault and the ambulance chasers will surely be raking you over the coals.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:01 PM   #23

As was mentioned above....do not go commercial. This would mean log books, port of entry stops, limited driving hours, commercial insurance rates, ect, ect.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:16 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
You can always do what I did, I do a little drag racing and I have a F350 Dually that I pull a 44 FT enclosed trailer. After a few years the "Boss" decided that she wanted a little more comfort at the track so we bought a motor home. So now when we go to the track my son drives the rig and I drive the coach...problem solved. It really works out pretty well, the trailer has a 13KW generator plus air compressor, while the coach has all of the comforts of home.
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 02:03 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb5300 View Post
You can always do what I did, I do a little drag racing and I have a F350 Dually that I pull a 44 FT enclosed trailer. After a few years the "Boss" decided that she wanted a little more comfort at the track so we bought a motor home. So now when we go to the track my son drives the rig and I drive the coach...problem solved. It really works out pretty well, the trailer has a 13KW generator plus air compressor, while the coach has all of the comforts of home.
Watch yourself on this one Charles. I remember a post a while back in another forum that had the dragsters all upset. Seems someone in one state thought that because cash prizes were paid, this constituted a "Commercial" enterprise, and set the local and state Law Enforcement folks checking lengths, weight, commercial inspections and whatnot. A real fur ball. It didn't apply to me so I never followed where things went on it, but a lot of hobby draggers got caught and it was very costly. Not only that, they had to hire or get others to pull their trailers when over length. Sounded like a politician pushing an AG's button about a limited issue.

Sorry I can't remember the particulars.

John
Old 11-11-2009, 07:53 PM   #26

Hi Mark, I am not up on the laws that govern length of RV rigs, however I have a 42' diesel pusher with a 24' enclosed trailer, no problems with the law. Also I am staying in Florida at a campground where a rig came in like this: Freightliner M2 crew cab with 12' bed, towing a three axle TETON HOMES 5th wheeel and the 5th wheel had a 10' open trailer with a Harley on it. Now that's long!
Old 11-11-2009, 08:00 PM   #27

Orvil, great to hear someone speak the truth. I have been in the trailer business for 40 years, 37 years manufacturing. Truth always wins. For some reason RV's get away with lots of stuff with the law, why, who knows? I think CDL should be required for big rigs and a mandatory driving school certificate.
Dan
Old 11-11-2009, 08:11 PM   #28

License YES!!
Length NO!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horknee View Post
I'g not saying this is fact-but I was told that if u r driving a RV not a commercial
Vehicle that You are allowed to travel in any state other than your own by the rules of your home state,which includes length & type of license.

Mercedes MBE 926
Eddie Foy is offline   Reply With Quote