Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2012, 07:45 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Combo vs Stacked Washer/Dryer

I am rethinking our need for stacked set of Washer/dryer. I have a few questions so here I go...

1. For those with stacked W/D, did you have a combo before and is the change worth the cost and space?

2. What is the typical peak amp usage of a combo vs a stacked W/D running at the same time?

All pro/con thoughts are welcome!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2012, 08:18 PM   #2

Official iRV2 Sponsor

One thing that a combo can do that no stacked unit can ever do is take dry dirty clothes and turn them into dry clean clothes with no human intervention. It is very nice to be able to leave in the morning and come home to clean dry clothes.

No doubt, there will be lots of people who jump in to explain that stackables wash and dry more clothes better than combos. Regardless of that issue, nothing but a combo can do it all in one step.

docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
One thing that a combo can do that no stacked unit can ever do is take dry dirty clothes and turn them into dry clean clothes with no human intervention. It is very nice to be able to leave in the morning and come home to clean dry clothes.

No doubt, there will be lots of people who jump in to explain that stackables wash and dry more clothes better than combos. Regardless of that issue, nothing but a combo can do it all in one step.
I agree! Opening the combo door one time to load and once again to remove dry cloths is priceless.
bob109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:04 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

My Splendide 2100XC runs on a single 20A circuit and the peak draw appears to be around 16 amps, if I remember correctly. A washer & dryer pair would require at least two seprate 20A circuits and that assumes the dryer is running at 120v rather than 240. By the way, drying performance is not great on120v - nothing like at home with 240v.

We wouldn't give up the space to install a stack set, but others may have different priorities.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:39 PM   #5

We bought a combo for the S&B about 10years back, We wanted to save some space in the laundry room for pet-related stuff. The device we bought was branded a "Eurotech", but it looks almost identical to the Splendide. I think it was made by an Italian manufacturer named Zanussi. Ours was a non-vented model.

What an unmitigated disater that thing was. It vibrated so badly on the spin cycle, it popped wallboard nails out in the laundry room and caused pictures to fall off the wall in the adjacent bedroom. The 115V dryer was so wimpy it took over 6 hours to dry three bath towels.

After 5 or 6 tech visits from the dealer we bought it from, each of which seemed to make things worse, we negotiated an exchange deal where we got a conventional Whirlpool side-by-side pair, which are still working fine. Of course they're too big for even a 42' RV, but my vote would be for a US-made stacked pair that will fit into a bigger RV.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:48 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I have the stacked Splendide Ariston model washer and drier. I have both units on one 20A breaker and run both at the same time and have for years. I have never tripped a breaker or had any sort of problem with both running at the same time. I've felt the breaker and when both have been running for about an hour the breaker is just warm to the touch. Both the combo units and the stacked units have their plusses and minuses so it's really your call.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:23 AM   #7

We are on our second combo...the space over the W/D is great for storage.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:29 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSkyBob View Post
...Both the combo units and the stacked units have their plusses and minuses so it's really your call.
Thanks for the power usage info...your thoughts on pros vs cons?
Old 08-23-2012, 10:34 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
We had a combo unit (Spendide) about 10 yrs ago. It did not work for us, loads too small, lots of wrinkles. So we used campground washer/dryers. Wife said no combo unit in next rv. Now in fairness I think there have been improvements in the combo units since then. Others will have to testify to the improvements.

Since then we have had two rv's with the stacked Whirlpools. We have used them extensively for 10 yrs and are pleased with their performance. When on 50 amp we can run anything without problem (both airs, washer, dryer, water heater, fridge, tv all at the same time).

When on 30 amp we will run 1 air, fridge, tv, washer and dryer. I turn the water heater to propane. No microwave, coffe maker, hairdryer while washer, dryer , and air conditioning are running at the same time. This has worker well for us.

According to the labels on our Whirlpools, both the dryer and washer will use a maximum of 12 amps so in theory if the air conditioner kicks on we may pull more than 30 amps if all were pulling max amps at the same time. In practice we have never had a problem when the air kicks on. I've not put a meter on them to see the actual usage- maybe that's a project in the future.

A few newer rv's have 240v available for the dryer, something we would not want since we end up on 30 amps about 20% of the time- sometimes for a month.

Our 110v dryer works great. We put the clothes in wet and they come out dry! What more could you want!
Old 08-24-2012, 01:02 AM   #10
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We have owned both types and presently have the combo.

With the stack-able you can wash a load while drying a load. Basically when the dryer is finished you can start another load of wash while drying the second load. Washing/drying goes much faster.

With the combo, as stated, it is a one button operation. I personally will not leave an appliance like that running without one of us present and as stated it will take almost all day to wash and dry one very small load in the combo. I wish we had the stack-able. Now, the combo is only used for small delicates belonging to wife, and occasionally one of my items.

Good luck.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:48 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
My experience: I have had the combo and now have the stacked Whirlpools. I would never chose the combo again because it took so long to finish a load and the wrinkles - well, I had to take an iron with us. With the stacked washer and dryer the loads go much faster and the clothes don't wrinkle. I never go off and leave them running as I had a bad experience with a broken hose on the combo never to be repeated. It definitely takes up more room to have the stacked units but I willingly give the space up for faster laundry and no ironing. Another plus I have noticed it that my clothes are cleaner with the stacked vs the combo.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:21 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
So...

How long does a "typical" load take in a combo unit from start to dry?
Old 10-11-2012, 09:06 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Wash depends on cycle chosen...avg 20 min maybe. Dry on perm press about 60 minutes. A LOT depends on water temp. If water is real cold (Yellowstone) drying time is longer. Dryer balls and shaking out clothes greatly reduces wrinkles. DW does not iron and my uniforms always come out just fine if hung up right away. Stacked would be a time saver, but does not fit in our floor plan. This is a vented unit, quite adequte for two people.
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:56 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
I've never actually timed it I think our Splendide 2000 takes about 45minutes to wash and a good hour (maybe more) to dry although I do tend to load it up.

For those who've used the older Splendide 2000's, it's also worth noting that the Splendide 2100XC can has a washing capacity of about 50% more and a drying capacity of almost 100% more (i.e. will dry twice as much).