Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2005, 10:39 AM   #15
Registered User
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Socorro, NM (until ?)
Posts: 1,552
Originally posted by Tom N:
What I don't understand is how FL can enforce a law that is not a FL law violation. The officer would have to be versed in every state license law.
FL wouldn't give you a ticket for violating a PA state law if you are not breaking a FL law. If you were breaking a FL Law by driving on a Class A License but you are legal per PA state laws, yes they could give you a ticket because they don't know the other states laws but you can show up in court to contest (never argue with a cop on the side of the road). I would reccomend that you carry a copy of the PA state law regarding your exemption from needing a CDL (if this is so). Good way to find out is to E-Mail your state's DOT (or whomever is in charge of issuing Driver's licenses) at the STATE LEVEL (not the local level) and ask your question (This is what I asked for TN... "I have a 1972 Eagle 05 motorcoach (formerly a greyhound motorcoach) that is now tagged & titled as a privately owned motorhome (per TN requirements). It's Max GVWR is 40,000. Do I need a special license or will my standard TN driver's license suffice?" The answer was that I did not need a CDL or any other special Dr License becasue RV's were exempt from the CDL requirements... The answer is somewhere on my computer's hard drive - in storage - otherwise I could give the the exact reply). I carry a copy (actually several in case I need to give them out to cops) of the law that exempts my pop-up & cargo trailer from needing to be tagged in TN and allows me to tow it every where without a tag with my TN tagged/titled vehicle.

You need to be legal in the state that your vehicles are tagged/titled!!! E-mail your government officials at the higher state levels to find out the correct answers!!!

Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2005, 06:52 PM   #16
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Martinez, CA. USA
Posts: 134
I know in California, a person holding a CDL is held to a higher standard when involved with the law. I guess they figure since you had to take all those extra endorsment tests, it makes you a better driver.

Bottom line is, make sure to check your individual state and get the appropriate license for your individual needs.

Fyrflie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 11:24 PM   #17
Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 3,213
In Florida they are pretty easy going but they do require and Air or Exhaust Brake endorsement, if you are driving a coach so equipped, but do not require a CDL unless you are driving the coach for hire. Getting stuck halfway down a long grade with the brakes locked up is a pretty good clue that someone wasn't air brake certified and may prompt some officers to check for your endorsment.

Even if it is not required in your state it really is not a bad idea to take the course and get a better knowledge of how to drive and brake using these systems.


Neil V
2001 Winnebago Adventurer WFG35U
NeilV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 05:18 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus
Gary RVRoamer's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Silver Springs, FL. USA
Posts: 18,640
What I don't understand is how FL can enforce a law that is not a FL law violation. The officer would have to be versed in every state license law.
Florida would give you a ticket for violating a FLORIDA law, specifically that you must have a valid driver's license to operate a vehicle in FLoirda. Since Florida practicces license reciprocity with all 49 other states, a "valid license" for a visitor is whatever is valid in his home state. The question is, how would the officer know you are legal in your home state or not. Well, if suspicious he can call in and ask his dispatcher to check. Or if, thorough previous experience, he believes you are probably illegal at home, he can simply issue a ticket and let the court sort it out. It's unlikley an officer would pull you over on a whim and do a license check, but if something else raised his suspicions then a more thorough check might be done. The officer doesn't have to be right every time - he just has to have probably cause.
Gary Brinck
Former owner of 2004 American Tradition
Home is in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 05:09 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus
Joe-K's Avatar

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Butler, PA
Posts: 1,828
Gary summed up the license reciprocity laws the exact way I was told by my local PA drivers license office. Florida, could ticket you for not having a "valid license" for the vehicle you are driving. The license legality is based upon the requirements of the state that issues the license.

In other words, if your license is specifically for driving a vehicle under 26,000 lbs and you are pulled over in Pennsylvania, or any other state driving a vehicle over 26,000 lbs, you could be cited.

To answer the questions of how the officer would know, all he would have to do would be to look at the back of the license. Our PA drivers licenses clearly state the class on the front, and the definition of the class on the back.

A PA class C will state on the back of it, "Single < 26,000lbs" therefore an officer could check the license against the GVWR. Honestly, I think it's a long shot, but for the one time fee of 5 bucks it cost in PA, I upgraded to the class B to be legal.
Joe & Shelly, Justin, Tyler, Alyssa | Butler PA
2008 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43QRP|Cummins 425|Honda CRV
Joe-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 10:26 AM   #20
Senior Member
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Savage, MD
Posts: 233
No matter what the weight of the motorhome, be it Class C or Class A, if you paint a business name on the side "Jim's Photography" or "Call Jane for Elderly Nursing Assistance" then you WILL NEED a CDL license. This is probably true in ALL states.
Bill N8HDW & Nancy N8HDV
2005 Sea Breeze 8341 on W-22 Chassis
2008 Saturn Vue I-4
Blue Ribbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 06:25 PM   #21
Senior Member
The Shadow's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Southern Ontario/Palmetto FL
Posts: 1,092
Originally posted by Canuck:
I upgraded my license to a CDL with air brake endorsement when we purchased our moho. I found the learning that took place made me a MUCH better driver. I'd recommend that drivers of any large vehicle or truck/5th wheel upgrade to a CDL.
Sam, did you have to upgrade to a CDL. I thought you only required an airbrake endorsement in Manitoba?
2011 Itasca Impulse 26QP Silver, 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited V6 Active Drive II
The Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 05:00 PM   #22
Senior Member
Triple E Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 191
Hi Don,
Congrats on the new moho!
The upgrade was as a result of the previous rig that I owned, at 38 ft. 5th wheel which had a GVWR of 14,500 lbs. In Manitoba, pulling a unit like that requires a CDL. I didn't get the air brake endorsement until I got the EEE.
2002 Triple E Signature A3607GW

300HP Cat 3126E, 6Sp Allison
Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 06:38 PM   #23
Senior Member
The Shadow's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Southern Ontario/Palmetto FL
Posts: 1,092
Sam, I think pulling over 10,000 lbs requires a Class A (Ontario lingo) in all provinces.

Ontario seems to be the only one with a Class D being required for a MH over 24,200 lbs (including toad). Almost everyone is in violation. Wayfarer has published the fact that its insurance policies are still good even if you don't have the correct license for the weight of the RV.
2011 Itasca Impulse 26QP Silver, 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited V6 Active Drive II
The Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 12:11 PM   #24
Senior Member
Triple E Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 191
Manitoba clamped down on drivers not having the correct class of license by refusing to renew the vehicle registation. In MB driver licensing and vehicle registration are run by the same organization. In my opinion this is a good thing.
2002 Triple E Signature A3607GW

300HP Cat 3126E, 6Sp Allison
Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 03:27 AM   #25
Senior Member
Lug_Nut's Avatar

Join Date: May 2005
Location: British Columbia
Posts: 3,765
I have a "DZ" in Ontario. D, any weight straight frame. Z air endorsement. The "D" is said to be exempt for private motorhomes, though I would question how not having one in a 44,000 lbs. rig and being involved in a serious accident may result. The Z is manitory for air and carries a $1000 fine if caught without one while operating a such equipped vehicle.
Peter - Doctor of Mixology
KADB 2013
Lug_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 07:30 AM   #26
Senior Member
RVRon's Avatar

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Newburgh, NY, USA
Posts: 1,002
Checking in from New York; the following is a direct quote from the NYS Drivers Handbook: Recreational Vehicle or "R" endorsement - Recreational vehicles, with or without air brakes, are not defined as commercial vehicles. You may apply for an "R" endorsement for your Class D or Class E driver license to allow you to operate a recreational vehicle (RV) with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating of over 26,001 lbs. (11,794 kg) or more.

To obtain an "R" endorsement, you must: submit a completed Application for Driver License or ID Card (MV-44), indicating a license amendment, to any state or county motor vehicle office; pay a permit fee, which is valid for up to two road tests; and pass a road test in the size and type of vehicle you will be driving. No written test is required. To take the road test, you must be accompanied by a licensed driver at least 21 years old who has a license valid for the type of vehicle you will be driving during the test (e.g., a driver license with an "R" endorsement or the appropriate Commercial Driver License). The road test will be about 15 minutes in length and will include turns, intersections and backing the vehicle to the curb. Upon passing the road test, you must go to a motor vehicle office and pay the required fee to complete the license amendment process.

I guess it's time for me to get a permit...sigh....
Ron & Kathy FMCA F327322
2008 Marathon Coach XLVII
2014 Ford Explorer Sport
RVRon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 04:08 PM   #27
Junior Member
MiikeeD's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Aliso Viejo, CA
Posts: 10
FYI, I was wondering if anyone else has heard this? I just got an email from a policeman friend yesterday that the state of California is paying for 6 cops from every department in the state and all CHP to go to a class pertaining to illegal RV owners driving out of the class of their licence. The law states that if you are driving a 2 axle vehicle with a GVWR over 26,000 lbs, any 3 axle trailer or moterhome over over 40 ft. long you need minimum of class A non-commercial licence. They say that when driving out of class they cannot alow you to keep driving, so if you can't find a class A driver to drive it home for you will result in immediate impound and out of class ticket which are thousands of $$$.

2007 Itasca Suncruiser 33', W-22
MiikeeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 04:44 PM   #28
Administrator Emeritus
rebelsbeach's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 9,894
Even with my Class A license, those idiots that run the State of California continue to furnish me with yet one more reason to not visit that State.

2017 40' Renegade Verona LE LTS
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 4 door
Blue Ox Avail and SMI Air Force One
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Drivers License Regs for Ontario Latitude MH-General Discussions & Problems 3 06-23-2008 04:29 PM
Class A drivers license requirements in Canada?? Don G Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum 6 03-12-2008 03:02 AM
PA Non-Commercial Class B license rmmpe Alpine Coach Owner's Forum 8 02-10-2008 02:50 AM
Drivers license requirements lthrnk MH-General Discussions & Problems 9 08-26-2007 03:56 AM
Drivers License Question Aggiepi iRV2.com General Discussion 36 07-29-2007 04:58 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:20 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.