Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-11-2007, 03:12 PM   #29
A correction on California drivers license requirement.... From the DMV

"A noncommercial driver license is issued in the following two classes:

Noncommercial Class A
Noncommercial Class B
A Noncommercial Class A license is required if you tow:

a travel trailer weighing over 10,000 lbs. Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) which is not used for hire.
a fifth-wheel travel trailer weighting over 15,000 lbs. GVWR which is not used for hire.
a livestock trailer that is not for hire, weight over 10,000 lbs. GVWR but not over 15,000 lbs. GVWR, and is operated within 150 miles of the farm by a farmer to transport livestock.
A Noncommercial Class B license and endorsement is required if you operate:

A housecar over 40 feet but not over 45 feet.
Exemptions: Holders of a commercial Class A or B license, a noncommercial Class A license, and all fire fighter license classes."

Hugh & Cyndi Reed
35' 2004 Damon Intruder 2 slide
2004 Honda Element toad
hrhuggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2007, 04:46 PM   #30
I agree with Rebelsbeach, I guess I will only plan to travel in 48 of the 50 as the bridge toll to Hawaii is also too high for me, ken...

Ken Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 02:17 AM   #31
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
The California law only applies to California residents, as do the laws of each state for their respective non-CDL license holders.

All states have reciprocal agreements. If you hold the proper drivers license in your home state, then you're legal in all states.

This does not apply to CDL licenses.
Adios, Dirk - '84 Real Lite Truck Camper, '86 Wilderness Cimarron TT, previously 4 years as a fulltimer in a '07 DSDP

No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message, but millions of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 03:46 AM   #32
Dirk, last year's FMCA list of requirements by state showed about 3 states that do not have reciprocal agreements with other states and provinces. What does that mean? One such state if I recall correctly was Georgia. When I think of the number of MHs on I-75 during the annual migration to and from Florida, I have to wonder what would happen if Georgia laws were enforced.

2011 Itasca Impulse 26QP Silver, 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited V6 Active Drive II
The Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 06:30 AM   #33
Administrator Emeritus

While for the most part we've been speaking of "driver" licensing, what concerns me the most in California is the fact they've now published a map with colored routes on it, which pertains to roads where the higher weight vehicles ARE NOT permitted.

Given I am CDL certified, I worry more about this type of occurrence, which is what my "never visit CA" comment is based on.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 07:46 AM   #34
OK, here's another CA issue. According to a discussion on RV Forum, an RV'er was stopped at AG station and in checking the vehicle paperwork the officer stated that an RV that is registered as a LLC is a business and thus reuired to follow IFTA. The RV'er was fined $100 and required to purchase a 4 day permit. Follow up phone calls to state agency confirmed the officers decision. This could conceiveably mean RV's registered as LLC's would also be required to access weigh stations. This is a developing story. Stay tuned News @ 6.
Ecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 08:19 AM   #35
Administrator Emeritus

That's good stuff ecker.....Keep us posted.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 04:18 PM   #36
Mid Atlantic Campers
what about drivers with air brakes, aren't they required to have a non commercial license ?
Steve, Pat, Hakbar, & Root Motor

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 05:55 PM   #37
Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Location: Mercer, PA -- 1000 feet from the O.D. Anderson Interchange (I-79 & I-80)
Send a message via Skype™ to George Miklas
Originally posted by ecker:
...the officer stated that an RV that is registered as a LLC is a business and thus reuired to follow IFTA...
This could likely include <UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>USDOT numbers, LLC name and city/state of operation displayed according to I.C.C. specs<LI>apportioned license plates for commercial vehicles over 26,000#<LI>monthly milage reports for commercial vehicles over 10,000#<LI>driver's log books for commercial vehicles over 10,000# GVWR<LI>CDLs for MHs over 26,000# GVWR<LI>driver's long-form physical certification and wallet card<LI>semi-annual federal commercial vehicle inspections[/list]and the list goes on and on and on.

In 2005, I drove a toterhome through a portable scale. The company name and USDOT number were on the front doors. The license plate was a Motor Home plate. The diesel cops didn't know what to do, so they waved me through. A similar toterhome owned by the same company was pulling a 53' trailer through Arkansas. The scale master pulled the truck around back to inspect it because the front axle weighed over 12,000#. The result was a fine to the driver for not having a transit permit for an overweight axle ($100), and two new 14 ply rated tires installed before the toterhome could leave($1400). Once you enter a weigh station, have your cash, credit card, and money orders ready as there is no consistency in what they accept. When your vehicle is tagged out of service, you will be calling for a taxi service if you can't tender the fine because the vehicle won't move until you are paid in full.

Don't be surprised. If you're using the MH in business or are using your business to shelter you from taxes on the MH, then you probably knew that this was coming a long time ago.

2009 Palomino Stampede S195 SD (Hybrid TT)
2010 Ford E-350 Super Duty XLT Extended
GOOGLE "GEORGE MIKLAS" for more information of about our worldwide adventures
George Miklas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 01:44 AM   #38
Things change over the years, but I believe all states adopted their statutes from the Uniformed Traffic Code which all states have adoped, in effect each state agrees to allow a resident of State "A" to drive in all other 49 states, No state is allowed to exempt from the code. ( even the great state of Georgia)
I believe this was upheld by the US Supreme Court and those of you that want to spend the time can research court cases. The purpose of this was, years ago, states were passing stupid laws to collect money in fees from persons traveling in their State.
2007 CC Allure 470
76dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 11:50 AM   #39
being a police officer here in Wisconsin, WI stat 343.000 states you must have a CDL to drive a vehicle that is over 26,000 lbs with the exception to RV vehicle, the exception stat is 343.055 Recreational vehicle operators. The operator of the commercial motor vehicle is a person operating a motor home, or a vehicle towing a 5th−wheel mobile home or single−unit recreational vehicle and the vehicle or combination, including both units of a combination towing vehicle and the 5th−wheel mobile home or recreational vehicle, is both operated and controlled by the person and is transporting only members of the person's family, guests or their personal property.

So bottom line here in WI you do not need a CDL for an RV that is over 26.000lbs
Randi Owen, Delta Jct. AK.
MIB (Men In Blue), WI Good Sam Webmaster
04 35R Bounder, 05 Suzuki Grand Vitara
N9UOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 06:19 PM   #40
I think it's a good idea to have some sort of endorsement for RV's. As a truck driver, I see too many people in RV's who have no idea what they're doing behind the wheel. Some people think it's just like driving a car. Maybe if they had to take a test, they'd get a little insight on how they should be driving. You have to have an endorsement to ride a motorcycle, and an RV can do a lot more damage than a bike. That's just my opinion.
1994 Fleetwood Flair 22D
Chevy P30 Chassis
mkgearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 05:05 AM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner

I am with you 100% on an RV endorsement for the driver's license. They also need to require periodic driving skills test for everyone once they reach a certain age. Texas tried to pass a law that required every driver starting at some age, I think it was like 70 or 80, take a driving test. i think it was shot down with the help of ARRP.

Problem is there are some people out there that drive pretty poorly at 30 or 40 years old and there are some driving well at 70 and 80.

The test would not guaranteed that you are a good driver all of the time, but it would at least be an attempt to see that you are aware of the problems with driving a larger vehicle.

On other forums, this has been beat to death with a large number of people screaming that they will go to their grave clutching the car and RV keys and no one from the government is telling them what they can and can not drive.

Driving any vehicle is not a God given right, but is an earned privilege.

Well that is my 2 cents worth.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 02:28 PM   #42
Understand California requires a non-commercial Class B endorsement to drive anything over 40 feet. Anyone know what the exact process is in California to get this endorsement. I have not found the correct study materials for the written test. Would appreciate any feedback from folks that have actualy completed this process.

Andy Bean is offline   Reply With Quote