Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-07-2010, 09:34 PM   #1
owl

Complete Confusion Re: Extended Warranty; Roadside service & Insurance

We are picking up our first motorized RV (2005 Winnebago Aspect) in a few days & have been pushed by the dealer to buy their extended warranty. They kept saying that the company would refund all the money if the warranty was not used. (Sounds too good to be true - not to mention that we can not see that on any of the information given to us.) The company was "USA Travel Care" which is apparently under the flagship of American Guardian Warranty. We're currently leaning instead toward the Good Sam extended warranty. However, it does not include roadside service. Then of course, there's normal insurance which we'll probably get with our State Farm provider. So that makes THREE insurance policies. Ugh. Sound about right?

I hope we can afford to put gas in it.

Lela/owl, Bill and Chase the Shih-Tzu
owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2010, 06:40 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you do a search on extended warranties you will get more info than you may want. I word of caution, extended warranties are high profit margins for dealers so they may tell you anything to get you to purchase one. If its not in writing in your contract then its not going to happen.

I would check several insurance companies for your "normal" insurance as the prices vary greatly. My "normal" covers roadside assistance.

Last point, read the extended warranty contract carefully as most have so many outs that they never pay for much.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:48 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We did not buy the warranty and I continue to wonder if I have done the right thing. Hopefully nothing will happen but with the price that was quoted to me I felt pretty good about putting that money aside and being "self warrantied". Life is a gamble but I am open to advice from the experienced.

If I understand what you said, that you will get your money back if you do not use your warranty, they are betting that you will use only a portion of what you pay in so that they may keep the remainder. Not sure what your price is but I think they wanted over $3k for mine.
JayGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 11:20 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi owl,
The extended warranty is insurance. That is a very personal decision. Do whatever allows you to sleep at night.

The roadside assistance is also insurance, but my view is different. I have the roadside assistance. They all call the same providers so choose the one that has the contract best for you.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 12:35 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have Coach Net for roadside assitance. In case of a break down or flat tire etc they will get us to a repair facility or a new tire put on. We also have Good Sam extended service insurance. This insurance is not an extended "warranty" but can pay for a repair of covered items (keep in mind you have to follow the terms of this policy to be paid for a repair). We had a bad experience with a auto dealer's "extended warranty" on a car several years ago. The policy was expensive but when we needed it to pay, we found out the warranty was worthless due to the company going out of business. The car dealership that sold us the plan wasn't any help because they blaimed the warranty company. We researched the warranty companies and found that this is a common occurance. They collect millions of dollars in premiums, then go bankrupt and reopen with another name. Some of these are located "off shore" as well so there is no recourse.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 12:36 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Also make sure your State Farm insurer can insure your motor home. We use an RV insurer.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 06:52 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
We insure with state farm. Costs about $400/yr, includes a $3.50 charge for roadside assistance. Had a claim last year, backing by the "braile" method, SF paid out over $11k for a new rear cap, raised my rate $50.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 07:21 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Body damage repair is the same on any vehicle insurance. Where RV-specific insurance differs is coverage for things like the tvs and furnishings, personal effects, etc. Those sorts of things are typically excluded from an automotive-type policy, but are specifically included in an RV policy.

Remember also that you have a LOT of "personal property" in an RV. And that anything attached to the outside rather than physically a part of it will be considered "personal property", e.g. a tow bar, a bra, any add-on window or door awnings, etc. Make sure you have a lot of personal property coverage.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 07:41 AM   #9

I had a long chat with my SF agent about these details. First, RVs are covered by SF under recreational vehicle policies, not general automotive policies. We have a seperate policy for the RV from the autos. For most part timers, there is coverage from both the RV policy and home owners. Anything that is permanetly installed as a part of the RV is coverd by the RV policy. IE if the built in tv is smashed in a wreck, the RV policy replaces it along with the other repairs.

On the other hand, if the unit is broken into and my camera is stolen, home owners insurance would cover if above the deductable.

The patio awning, an OEM part of the motorhome is covered for damage same as the front grille.

For full timers without a home owners policy, this all goes out the window and an RV specific policy with contents coverage and general liability is needed.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:11 AM   #10
owl

I see all points that you've all suggested....we have decided to not purchase the 'warranty' that's being pushed by the dealer. (Or probably any warranty policy...) I'm glad to see the State Farm information. They cover our autos & home and we're going to see the agent today to hear the specifics on RV coverage. (I hope they offer that in OK.) I'm also wondering if it will reduce the rate if it's in covered storage when not on the road.....stay tuned, I'll give you an update.

Lela/owl
Old 06-09-2010, 09:54 AM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
IF the salesman says you will get your money back if you don't use it it must be true right? (WRONG!) If it's not in writing then don't believe it.. Or at the very least wear a wire and record the interview and get him to say it again.. Then seal the recording in case you need it.. I'm not kidding, salesmen say lots of thigns.. Some of them are even true.

Heck, The salesman told me I'd have a Ford engine and an Allison Tranny on my Workhorse

(Actually.. I'd rather have a GM engine, and I do too)

(Hint. Allison does not make transmissions that fit on Ford engines)

But, that just goes to show.. What they say, and what they deliver, Almost never the same.

Now to the subject of this post

Insurance covers a lot of things.. The primary reason for insurance is if disaster strikes, be it an accident or something else.

Roadside assistance can be a part of your general vehicle insurance or of the extended warranty (Which itself can be part of the overall policy) and the job here is just what the name implies, IF your rig is F.O.R.D. (Found On Road Dead) or on the side of the road dead.. Be it a flat tire, and empty gas tank or a major issue. Roadside assistance brings fuel, helps change the flat (Will transport the tire/rim to a repair and return or if it's a front tire wheel lift you to a tire shop) But their only task is to get you off the shoulder of the road (or off the lane) and to a repair facility.

Extended Warranty fixes things that go wrong with the rig, Be it a busted radiator hose or a broken microwave, again depending on the policy.. Again. this MAY include roadside assistance since a busted radiator hose (in the example above) leaves you F.O.R.D.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:30 AM   #12
owl

Decision.

We finally decided to forego the extended RV warranty offered by the dealer. We have added the Winnebago to our State Farm insurance policy (funny that it's not added as an automobile, but rather a recreational vehicle - even though you drive it) and added roadside assistance to that policy for around $12.00.

We probably won't add any extended RV warranty, as they all require such strict rules & procedures to cover any problem. Seems better to us to just put that money aside and in the event of a failure, get the problem taken care of ASAP ourselves.

So, for now...that's where we are. And fyi, we love that Winnebago!
We put around 500 miles on it last weekend & had a blast.

OH, by the way, wa8yxm, shame on you for bashing my gorgeous new to us Ford. ;-) I read the TOU and you're supposed to be nice.

Before we owned a Ford, my favorite line was:
"On a quiet night you can hear them rust." I'll never tell that joke again!!
Old 06-15-2010, 09:36 AM   #13

Regardless, rust goes on!!
Old 06-21-2010, 03:18 PM   #14
owl

Update on RSA & Extended Service

After a lot of deliberation & reading and since the Winnebago Aspect is our first drivable RV - For peace of mind we've decided to go with Good Sam Extended Service (one year at a time & high deductible) & Good Sam Roadside Assistance. There seem to be a lot of happy people on this forum who have one or the other or both. Even though our gorgeous pre-owned Aspect only has 14,000 miles, I've read too many horror stories about blown engines.

I know we have to have records of maintenance, but I'm not sure what they say about that if the unit is used and we have no information on that. I need to call them and find out. I also know we must call before any work is done, etc.

Our Michelin tires have great tread, but are starting to check on the sides, so we're ordering new ones this week. Soon we'll be all set for a long trip.

Thanks all for your help. What a great forum!

ps - There is no reduction in State Farm insurance costs if the unit is parked in covered storage. We added the Winnebago to our list of vehicles insured with State Farm. It was one of the most reasonable rates we found.

Lela, Bill and Chase the Shih Tzu