Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2014, 05:04 PM   #1

Compressor size?

I currently carry a pancake style 150psi compressor. It's a little heavy and takes up a lot of space in the bay. I saw a much smaller combination compressor/battery charger at SAMs today. However, it's only 120psi and doesn't have a tank like the Potter Cable compressor I currently carry. I normally carry 95psi in the steer tires and 85 in the rear. Do you think the 120psi compressor without the tank would work? Thanks.

RJ

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2014, 06:56 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Yes, it will work just fine. Your tire pressure is lower than the compressor max so it will fill your tires. If you use the compressor to blow out the fresh water lines, then it will not work, but you already have a pancake compressor so you are set.

Grandpere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 09:28 PM   #3

Yes, it will work...but....my experience is that this type of compressor can take a long time to fill an RV tire.

I had one of those 'trucker' air compressors a long time ago. Bigger than a 12v auto tire inflator and could go up to 150psi. But it had no tank.

On one trip, we went from our 65 degrees starting location to 20 degrees ending location. Tires went down about 10%. Got out the 'trucker' compressor and went to work. Took forever to air up one of my rears from 90 psi back up to 100 psi.

Went out and bought a pancake compressor from Sears that had 3 gallon tank and 150psi. No waiting and I can air a tire from zero to 110psi without having to stop for lunch.

You don't specify how heavy your pancake compressor is, but if it was me and I didn't have some physical limitation, I probably would still get a pancake compressor, but only smaller and lighter. Like the 1.5 gallon 150psi one that Sears has. It only weighs 20lbs, not the 35lbs that my current one does.

Good luck in your search.

2017 Gemini 23TR
CC38EL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 10:13 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
The pressure is fine, but the real question is, what's the volume? Some compressors have a very small capacity and would take a long time to add any significant volume of air to a truck sized tire.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 10:24 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
I have the Porter Cable pancake compressor. It works fine. I make space for it because I also use it for several other tasks.
Old 11-23-2014, 10:29 PM   #6

There is a big difference between maximum pressure and operating pressure. I'm guessing the 120 max. compressor has a cut-in pressure of about 75-80 psi and a cut-off pressure of about 100 psi. This means you will have to bleed off enough air pressure to get the compressor to begin working several times to to top-off a tire.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 08:49 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

The two major considerations have already been cited by others: air volume (SCFM) and operating (regulated) pressure. You need at least 1.5 SCFM @ 95psi to fill your tires in a reasonable time, and you need a regulated pressure that stays at or above your tire pressure or no air will move into the tire once the operating pressure drops below 95 (for your front tires). If you can't find those numbers on that 120 psi tankless model, pass on it.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 12:20 PM   #8

I agree, that small tankless compressor will take forever. Keep the current PC compresor and just live with the extra space it takes.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 01:44 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
compressor on dp

Can the compressor on my diesel pusher be used to inflate tires? Where is my compressor? I have a 2014 Thor Tuscany 40ex XTE and really don't feel like crawling all over the place to look for it, If someone could give me and idea of where to look I'd be grateful, otherwise I'm just gonna have to wait till spring time.
Don't really need to inflate my tires and probably will end up buying a portable compressor, My tires max pressure is 125 psi loaded. Just curious if anyone is using the on board compressor for that,
Also does anyone know if the above unit has an on board surge protector? If not I will purchase one of those high dollar monsters but don't want to if I already have one.
Old 11-24-2014, 01:50 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
My on board compressor cuts out at 120 psi.

When I needed 115 psi in my tires I needed a pancake compressor at 150 psi to fill the tire.

Now that my need is only 100 psi, the on board compressor does just fine.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 01:53 PM   #11

I have a little 150PSI Harbor Freight model. It fills the tires on the RV but not like the pancake that you have would. If I need to put 20PSI in a RV tire...I could watch part of a movie and let the little dude chug away and it would get the job done but under complaint. Now I have modified the hose to allow for better tools...but that does not result in performance loss from this tool. The compressor does have compact and light weight working for it but NOT...performance.
12Volt 150 PSI Compact Air Compressor
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 01:56 PM   #12

The compressors built in to battery jump starting packs are really only suitable for car tires. Here is another choice for you.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1416858991.856296.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	370.1 KB
ID:	79845
Old 11-24-2014, 02:02 PM   #13

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by camato5 View Post
Can the compressor on my diesel pusher be used to inflate tires? Where is my compressor? I have a 2014 Thor Tuscany 40ex XTE and really don't feel like crawling all over the place to look for it, If someone could give me and idea of where to look I'd be grateful, otherwise I'm just gonna have to wait till spring time.
Don't really need to inflate my tires and probably will end up buying a portable compressor, My tires max pressure is 125 psi loaded. Just curious if anyone is using the on board compressor for that,
Also does anyone know if the above unit has an on board surge protector? If not I will purchase one of those high dollar monsters but don't want to if I already have one.
At home I use my 'big' compressor, but on the road I do as this video shows, using the onboard compressor and triggering the compressor to put out pressure needed.

Here's a link to the Amazon listing:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...E4HCBXUMEETI2U

A bit pricy!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 07:50 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJEV View Post
I currently carry a pancake style 150psi compressor. It's a little heavy and takes up a lot of space in the bay. I saw a much smaller combination compressor/battery charger at SAMs today. However, it's only 120psi and doesn't have a tank like the Potter Cable compressor I currently carry. I normally carry 95psi in the steer tires and 85 in the rear. Do you think the 120psi compressor without the tank would work? Thanks.

RJ
We have the same compressor you're thinking about. We had to buy it while on the road when we had a problem. As others have stated it works, BUT it's very slow in comparison to the one you currently have.

I find I have to let the compressor build to pressure. Inflate the tire until the compressor starts to run again. Remove the chuck from the tire. Let it come back up to pressure and repeat.

It worked better on the lower pressure 19.5" tires on our 2001 motorhome. Mainly because of the differential between the compressor pressure and volume, and the tire pressure and volume. On the 22.5" tires on our new motorhome it's a long and boring procedure to raise the pressure more than 5 psi. It's better than being stranded on the road, but not something you want to do on a regular basis.

Tags
compressor